Thinking about switching to the jay green tune anyone tell me what is so different f

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reddzeppelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEMI_Finn

U.S. ARMY Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You say that you are "thinking" about switching. What tune are you currently running that you aren't happy with?

Tomater03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
His shifting and torque management really sets his apart from anyone else. He also is providing trans tuning through HP as well which is excellent . Have ran 12.4 so far on his tune on factory cats and manifolds in my regular cab 8 speed. Now have long tubes, no cats, trans tune and soon to have skinnys up front for the track. So really hoping for that 11.9 pass on 100% stock motor

wstacy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didnt like how my previous custom tune shifted, switched to Greene racing and the truck pulls better than ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I have a Hemi Fever tune and I hate how the truck shifts, I'm going to drop Jay a line and see if he can get my truck to shift better.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im on my 5th tune from Hemifever, shift points are still garbage.

Im just waiting for my backpay to come in and will be making the switch myself as well.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever tunes have nothing to do with the shift points so why are people blaming it on hemifever? Now if you keep the hemifever for the engine tune and then get the hp tuners for the transmission tune then it will shift better. Diablosport hasn't released shift point tuning for the 8 speed yet. Switching to a Jay Greene engine tune isn't going to make the truck shift any better.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever tunes have nothing to do with the shift points so why are people blaming it on hemifever? Now if you keep the hemifever for the engine tune and then get the hp tuners for the transmission tune then it will shift better. Diablosport hasn't released shift point tuning for the 8 speed yet. Switching to a Jay Greene engine tune isn't going to make the truck shift any better.

Actually it will. There are many people who have switched and noticed a slightly more crisp feeling with Jay's tune over other competitors. I wouldn't go and say it doesn't make a difference until you tried it.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually it will. There are many people who have switched and noticed a slightly more crisp feeling with Jay's tune over other competitors. I wouldn't go and say it doesn't make a difference until you tried it.

I'm not dissing Jay in any way but just have a hard time believing that an engine tune will make the transmission shift differently but then again crazier things have happened...

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't have a tuned truck, so take this with a grain of salt, but wouldn't how the torque management is set up affect shifting? For example, doesn't the torque management pull power a little before the shift and after the shift in an effort to prolong transmission life?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Started with HF myself, had horrible cringeworthy shutter when shifting. No issues on stock program.

Went thru 4 HF revisions and it didn't fix it.

Bit the bullet and got up with Jay, never looking back. Truck is extremely responsive and pulls hard throughout.

Everyone has different experiences and no 2 trucks are the same. Gotta do what's best for you. I have no regrets.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have a tuned truck, so take this with a grain of salt, but wouldn't how the torque management is set up affect shifting? For example, doesn't the torque management pull power a little before the shift and after the shift in an effort to prolong transmission life?

from my limited understanding yes this happens is multiple ways, pulling timing is the one I'm most familiar with.

When I owned HP Tuners I was able to adjust many parameters that affected shift characteristics in addition to a installing a valve body kit

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Started with HF myself, had horrible cringeworthy shutter when shifting. No issues on stock program.

Bit the bullet and got up with Jay, never looking back. Truck is extremely responsive and pulls hard throughout.

Everyone has different experiences and no 2 trucks are the same. Gotta do what's best for you. I have no regrets.

Just so you know I had the same issue with my truck after I had a few updates done to it from Dodge and worked with Sean for several days and many tunes but we got it fixed. Not sure if you got the email from him but he would send you a new tune with the fix.

I was also contemplating getting a tune from Jay but never did since I didn't want to spend the extra money when I already spent it for HF.

Truck runs great now and haven't had any issues but have heard Jay tunes are great just wish he had his own website since not very comfortable talking and sending money to someone over Facebook.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not dissing Jay in any way but just have a hard time believing that an engine tune will make the transmission shift differently but then again crazier things have happened...

There are trans TQ management settings that can be changed on the engine side to help with shifting.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Does it retain stock smoothness when you drive normally?

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Does it retain stock smoothness when you drive normally?
In my case I wanted firmer shifts but I'm sure it can be tailored to individual preference from mild to chirping the tires.

I definitely feel the firmness more on harder acceleration vs. just cruising around town. Last time my wife drove it though she called to tell me something was wrong with it and acting a little jerky. I said nope, it's supposed to shift that way. lol

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Actually TQ management as implemented in stock vehicles, is more about smooth shifting which has the opposite effect on the tranny. Clutch plates etc. last longer when engaged quickly, yet on order to provide smooth shifts the engine is tuned ( along with other programing such as the TCM, if present) to have the opposite effect.

Like many things this is a give and take/ finding the right balance.

70HemiTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Challenger not RAM
Engine
I have a tune from Jay Greene for my '12 Challenger 5.7. Pulls awesome, chirps 2nd and 3rd on the 93 octane tune. He was recommended by Fastman when I got my polished throttle body. No one in my Mopar club has a Greene tune but I can tell you that from what I have experienced in my 5.7 car, he has figured something out.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Yeah I think that the way that the computer talks to everything there are all kinds of things that can affect the tranny shift points. I noticed that even the Pedal Commander that I added affected how the truck shifted.
Over at Moe's they charge $100 for a HF custom tune. What does Jay charge for his tune?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93