thinking of buying project truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goldy49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey Brothers,

Thinking about getting project truck to run around in. i had a lifted and tuned 5.7 1500 for years but she finally gave up the ghost. Picked up 19 Charger RT last year. Mod it up a bit in the hp department and man grandpa loves his speed! However I have been missing having truck around. As I near retirement want old truck to work on to use around house. Found a 2000 1500 (less than 750) that I figure I will need to repair motor. Have not look at truck yet.That brings me to these questions

1. Best crate motor to put in (would like a 5.7 but can be talked out) concerns about original trans?
2. How hard to located dashes to replace old dash
3.MAYBE 3-6 inch lift to be added so better to replace suspension as unit or hunt and peck
4. Not total restore but to turn heads at HOME DEPOT while I am using it loading crap up in it.

Any thoughts or ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this old fireman

THanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. I'd go with the 5.7L. Depending on what you find you might want to freshen the motor. Heck, pick up a 545RFE trans, the harnesses, a PCM and a TCM while you are at it.

2 @DodgeLady just finished a dash replacement on her 2nd gen truck. I'd PM her to find out where she got it. I'm guessing it was LMC Truck

3. If you do go with a lift then, yes, there will be some suspension components, a trackbar, pitman arm, shocks, etc...that will need to be replaced. Might as well get a full set of bushings too.

4. Now you are talking about paint, trim, body work, etc...but it can be a real head turner if you want to spend the time and money.

Good luck with the project!

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Buy the truck, do a 3rd gen dash swap with a 2005+ CANBUS dash. Then go find an SRT8 grand cherokee with the 6.1 hemi and AWD. You can then take the Tcase from a 4th gen ram and have a 6.1 hemi 4x4 with low range.

You'll probably have to deal with a "service 4x4" message when you are in 2x mode....but that 6.1 had a lot less issues than any of the later MDS/VVT 5.7's out there....

I have done 6 cams on 5.7's this year alone... I think I am done with the platform.

Other option... Don't do a project truck...see if the new TRX actually gets released and get a 6.2 supercharged hellcat ram with a warranty LOL! :)

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Buy the truck, do a 3rd gen dash swap with a 2005+ CANBUS dash. Then go find an SRT8 grand cherokee with the 6.1 hemi and AWD. You can then take the Tcase from a 4th gen ram and have a 6.1 hemi 4x4 with low range.

You'll probably have to deal with a "service 4x4" message when you are in 2x mode....but that 6.1 had a lot less issues than any of the later MDS/VVT 5.7's out there....

I have done 6 cams on 5.7's this year alone... I think I am done with the platform.

Other option... Don't do a project truck...see if the new TRX actually gets released and get a 6.2 supercharged hellcat ram with a warranty LOL! :)

Hey VM.. what is the name of the thread where you are rebuilding or disassembling an engine? I want to follow that but now I can’t find it.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snacktime

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think you are better off doing a 5.9 magnum based stroker. If you want more modern hemi pick the right year truck. Certain years don't have good tuning options. Money spent on adapting could eat a good chunk of the budget and more modern motor go fast parts are stupid expensive.

Pick the body style you like then hunt down the right year and options.

Skatulaki

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 1500
Engine
5.9 liter 360
Get a 77-79 Macho SE 4x4 Like the Simon and Simon Dodge. I had a 77, but the 79 was a little " Cooler" looking paint scheme. You can get the Decals from JEGS. if you want to step it up a few notches or go whole hog , Put a big block, manual trans, and change it from Full time 4x4 to part time 4x4.
The Full time 4x4 in those days were not impressive at all. I put a 340 4 bbl Duster engine in the one I had, it was quite the beast, but the 4wd was unimpressive.