Thinking of buying Ram Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone! Been lurking for quite a while but just registered.

First I wanna apologize for making another thread comparing the hemi to the pentastar, Ive searched and read pretty much every thread on the topic, and I know the topic is beat to death :superhack:

Ive really had my mindset on selling my 05 sierra ext cab and upgrading to a crew cab ram 1500 black express with the pentastar v6 and 4x4,I love the blacked out look. But so far Ive been unsuccessful finding that truck, and the local dealer just told me a few come next month, but theyre all hemi and 6 speed.

The salesman told me for in and around the same price, he could put me in a pretty base Sport which will have the color matched bumpers I desire, and the 8 speed tranny.

My current truck has the 5.3 and I commute, and in the 4 years Ive owned it, Ive NEVER towed and probably never will. The most I haul are a few bikes which made me say Id probably never buy another v8 truck again. Am I gonna regret it if I buy that sport? Gas mileage is KEY. Any input appreciated, thanks guys!

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if gas mileage is important to you, you probably will regret the sport. I hardly care about mileage, but calculating below 14 mpg on some fillups makes even me cringe.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The sports are really nice, and I love mine, but make sure you are realistic on mileage. If you aren't after performance at all and want the Pentastar, why don't you just order one?

My advice is this- If you know what you want don't settle. I tried to settle on a 2012 sport that didn't' have some of the key options I wanted because it's all I could find. I bought a new one to get those and I'm much happier with it now.

In my sport, I average 14MPG. I have the 8spd, 3.92 gears, use 89 octane E10 fuel, and I would say thats probably 70% city/30% highway. I've been tracking my fuel with Fuelly since I bought it, so that's accurate. Also, that is all winter miles, so I would expect that to increase some with summer blend fuel and less remote start idling.

If you do a lot of 70+ driving on your commute, the 3.21 gears would probably be your friend. Lots of sports have 3.92s, so consider that. Driving below 70 the 3.21s don't help much.

Something else to keep in mind too is the Hemi is going to have better resale value as V6 trucks aren't that popular. The Pentastar will probably only get you about 2mpg more tops. It's a bit better, but the fact remains its a full sized truck.

Last edited:

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want a truck, and cash is a factor, that leaves the 3.0 eco diesel out. So if gas milage (on a truck) is important, go with the V6. The Hemi just cannot get close to the same milage. My friend bought a '14 with the V6 and gets WAY better milage than I do. I am averaging 16-17 mpg, my friend is 23mpg. Hand calculated.
Seems like you have kinda made up your mind on the V6 already, if you get the 8 you will probably end up thinking you should have gone your initial instincts. If you already owned a V8 Chevy, you kinda already know what life is like with the Hemi gas wise.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
1 when the salesman says around the same price he's full of it that's a extra 5 grand... If you extend the loan out it might be the same monthly. Secondly if price and fuel economy are key stick with the 6 banger. It's great engine and its backed with a soild tranmission. Sense your having trouble finding what you want order it, the 6 ish weeks will be the longest ever but you will be so happy when it's sitting in your driveway... Just get the 3.55 gears incase you do ever need to pull a trailer.

OP
OP
N

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks a lot for the input guys!

The way he was making it sound was a ram st 3.6 4x4 with the black express package can't be ordered, he was saying it was only available in the crew cab 4x4 configuration with a hemi. I'll have to talk to him again.

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Thanks a lot for the input guys!

The way he was making it sound was a ram st 3.6 4x4 with the black express package can't be ordered, he was saying it was only available in the crew cab 4x4 configuration with a hemi. I'll have to talk to him again.

Did you try the build a truck on Ram's website to see if you can configure one the way you want it? That will also show you matching vehicles on lots too if there are any out there.

OP
OP
N

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you try the build a truck on Ram's website to see if you can configure one the way you want it? That will also show you matching vehicles on lots too if there are any out there.

I've tried, but unlike the American site, the Canadian site doesn't have the black express option, but it is here.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the Black Express option may only come with the hemi.

12TrueSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 True Blue Pearl Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just to add on: I made the switch from Chevy to Ram a few years ago and in my opinion the Hemi compared to the 5.7 is a much better motor. If you are at all excited about the acceleration and brute force of the engine and the way it sounds with a nice exhaust then you will love the HEMI. If gas mileage is your primary concern then like others have said avoid the HEMI because once see how well it goes you will have your foot in it a lot and gas mileage will suffer.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
I have a sport with the 3.21's and I get good mileage at least for a truck. I'm getting 16 in town and 21 even 22 on the highway.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI my black express is a Hemi with 8-spd and 3.92 gears.... I am averaging 18.6 mpg..... not bad for almost 400hp!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
FYI my black express is a Hemi with 8-spd and 3.92 gears.... I am averaging 18.6 mpg..... not bad for almost 400hp!

Ya and you got to be driving mainly hwy and driving like a little old lady to get that..

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ya and you got to be driving mainly hwy and driving like a little old lady to get that..

strangely I just figured out my lifetime mileage ( 8 months & 3200 miles) on my Sport rcsb Hemi 4x4 3:21's and it sits at 19.7. Yes I do drive it like granny as I do not consider a 5000lb vehicle anything close to my normal speed demons. The other way to look at it would be this, whats everyone in such a hurry for.:naughty::favorites13:

OP
OP
N

nasty_nat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it looks like what i want Cant Even be ordered In canada, no surprise. Now i guess its time to see How much it would cost to replace the chrome bumpers, 20's, and The headlights and tail lights on an ST. Sucks because i was hoping i wouldnt have to play with a vehicle for once

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
So it looks like what i want Cant Even be ordered In canada, no surprise. Now i guess its time to see How much it would cost to replace the chrome bumpers, 20's, and The headlights and tail lights on an ST. Sucks because i was hoping i wouldnt have to play with a vehicle for once

Have you thought about getting just a Express with the V6 in black not the black appearance group? Your best option will probably be to find someone that has either an express or sport with the sport bumper, and do a swap. Tail lights and heads will run you around $800-$1000USD for TYC/OEM projectors and Led tails. The black express also has the 7" EVIC and the 5.0 Screen among other things.