This is a spongy brake question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So as the title states. I have what I would call spongy brakes.
So far I have thrown new pads upfront about 1k miles ago also have new rear shoes and they are adjusted tight.
With that being said I can get up to 60mph and if I jump on the brakes she just slows down ever so gently, This caused my ******** to pucker up last week as some old lady jumped onto to traffic and I almost hit her, I must have gotten about 2 or 3 inches from her before I came to a complete stop while she looked at me confused.
Any idea what can this be.
I just bled the brakes on it yesterday and flushed out all the old fluid and it still spongy.

98rumblebee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If the brakes on all 4 are good and there's no air or restrictions in the lines, that mostly leaves under the hood components to check. When you say spongy do you mean the pedal is soft, or you just don't slow down fast enough? Is the pedal really hard?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If you can push the pedal down all the way but the brakes don't seem to work very well I would check the hoses running to the vacuum booster for a vacuum leak. If it's not giving the brake booster enough vacuum you'll have really ****** brakes.

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
Spongy brakes

Just a question, if, not driving and vehicle started, if you apply light to moderate pressure on the brake pedal, does it hold about midpoint or slowly creep down to the floor? If it creeps down, probable mc internal leak by. Suspect if booster is not working, you will have a more hard pedal as not getting the assist from the booster. Just a thought.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replace the rubber lines that go to the calipers and wheel cylinders. They get old and soften so they expand instead of forcing the fluid into the brakes.

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the replies.
MC and booster are good. I think NYCruiser might be on to something.
They are the original lines. I did visually inspect them and they are all dry but it could be they are expanding under pressure.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Does it have 4 wheel abs, most 2wd trucks do and if you do this system can be a pita to bleed right. Check the 2001 fsm and follow it to the T.

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pads and shoes are new. it does indeed have ABS.
I actually bled the brakes in different ways to make sure all air was out.
Also I pumped fluid through the system to help force any air out.
I really am starting to think the lines are done.
I will price them out online to see what I'm looking at money wise.
As soon as I can get this hurdle out of the way its on to ball joints and 2/4 lowering kit.
Then just enjoy it!!!

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
You did it your way, is it the same as whets in the fsm for 4 wheel abs, do you have 4 wheel abs or just rear abs.

I say don't just get stock hoses, look at getting some braided stainless lines. I have Crown lines, great improvment over rubber lines. There web page does not show our trucks email them or call them and they will make you them up.

Crown Performance: Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Braided Hoses for Cars, Trucks & SUV

OP
OP
Alexslo1k

Alexslo1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks Merc.
I can't honestly say If I have 4 wheel ABS I know there is a distribution block on the driver side in front of the MC / booster. I would assume it is 4 wheel ABS. I will go outside in a few and double check.