throttle position sensor problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavenw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. But I have an 06 dodge half ton hemi 5.7L and the throttle doesn't always work. When it doesn't, the engine usually sounds like it's surging or something. Could it be the throttle position sensor? Or maybe something else? Im definitely not a mechanic, so any help is greatly appreciated. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Welcome to RF. The 5.7 is drive by wire so the tps is actually built into the throttle body and can't be replaced on its own. When it acts up do the rpms increase or decrease? Does it feel like it's losing power? Have you tried checking for codes? With a little more info maybe someone can help you figure out what's going on.

OP
OP
H

heavenw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! The rpms fluctuate between 1 & 2k when i have the pedal all the way down to the floor. We havent had it checked for codes yet. And as far as power goes, when the throttle works, the power is the same as its always been since we bought the truck. Hope that helps some. As i said im not a mechanic by any means, so any important information you need, youll have to ask for lol

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Are there any warning lights? Check engine or red lightning bolt? You can check for codes yourself, just quickly turn the key without starting the engine: on-off, on-off, on. If there are any codes they will show up where the odometer is.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
As mentioned you have a FBW TB. There is also a APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) On the 07 it should be part of the Pedal Assembly. Might check for damaged wires and connectors. The local auto parts store often will check for codes for free. To recalibrate the APPS you disconnect the battery the same as rebooting the PCM. After you re-connect the battery and go to start it first time. Turn the ignition key on, but do not start the engine, wait 10 seconds for the PCM to learn the APPS signal value and then turn the key off. Next time you can start the engine as you normally do.