Throttle Response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ranger520

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Express with 5.7 that I bought last fall. It runs good and has power, but the throttle response is soft in town or on a curvy road when you are in and out of the throttle. The muffler has been changed, but I haven't been under it to see what kind.
Is there a cure for this or is it the nature of the beast?
Maybe CAI or something to cure it ?

Thank You !

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
By "soft" if you mean a little delayed, they are that way stock. If you get a tuner like the Diablo Intune i2, you can quicken the throttle response a bit with the "Throttle Booster" setting.

Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Tuner. Either get a custom tune or add 20% to the throttle booster. Night and day difference

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As said, a tuner is the best upgrade you can buy to not only increase power, but also increase your throttle response. Take a look at the i2 package we offer with Hemifever's custom tuning. This setup is only $459, and is without question the best upgrade you can buy for the truck when it comes to power/dollar.

DiabloSport i2 DCX tuner for 2003-2014 Dodge Vehicles

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A tuner will help and the CAI will also help improve it a bit more.

I've always noticed an improvement in throttle response with a CAI, then the programmer will bring the HP & torque improvement into the lower RPM range, which really makes it feel responsive!

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but I think anything "noticed" from a CAI without a tune is purely placebo. These engines run on a MAP system, so any changes in the intake without tune adjustment will either be unnoticeable or negative. With MAP systems you can feel changes by opening the exhaust to let it flow more freely, but without a tune, intake mods aren't worth it.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but I think anything "noticed" from a CAI without a tune is purely placebo. These engines run on a MAP system, so any changes in the intake without tune adjustment will either be unnoticeable or negative. With MAP systems you can feel changes by opening the exhaust to let it flow more freely, but without a tune, intake mods aren't worth it.

Yes and no. No intake is going to show the power and throttle response gains that you will get from tuning, but we have tested air intakes on the track without tuning and seen as much as .4 knocked off the 1/4 mile time in cool air. I would absolutely start with tuning, but dont rule out the intake down the road.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there a reason why Hemi is running off the MAP sensors still? Vs MAF?

The ONLY reason I can imagine is it's cheaper for the factory and keeps costs down when mass producing. A MAP sensor is a hell of a lot cheaper than a MAF sensor.

Edit: If they switched to MAF with one of the new generation Ram trucks I might have to trade mine in for it... along with the 8 spd.