Ticking or knocking…. Damn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok I guess this is more of a rant, I’ve been hearing a ticking or knocking noise. January of 23’ I had my front axles replaced, trans fluid/filter, rear diff fluid as well as my manifolds and manifold bolts as the exhaust was leaking like crazy. Luckily most of these repairs were covered under a warranty I purchased. This year I’ve finally gotten around to maintenance items on the truck I’ve been meaning to get too. In the last couple of months I’ve changed the water pump, thermostat, idler pulley, tensioner and pulley, air filter, belt and spark plugs. This has quieted down the truck significantly. However as I was approaching my last oil change I noticed this ticking that I feel was probably always there but much fainter prior to how it is sounding now, I just assumed regular “Hemi tick”. I wasn’t sure if maybe the tick was more noticeable because the engine compartment was now quieter in general but overall I do think this tick has gotten louder recently. I was using Pensoil platinum 5-20 and it sounded great until right before I as required to change the oil. I opted for Redline 5-20 this oil change to see if it would quiet things down and it sounds about the same or louder at this point.

A couple of weeks ago I dropped by a local mechanic I like to use and had them listen. The guy didn’t like the sound and he described it more as knock and was worried it sounded like rod knock. I scheduled an appointment then and just dropped it off today. As I was about to leave the shop the guy tells me “I don’t know if you knew this but we don’t work on Hemi engines”. I’m thinking why the hell didn’t you tell me that two weeks ago and I would’ve scheduled with the dealer instead. He went on to tell me that basically if they find anything internal that is damaged they’re going to recommend an engine replacement. Citing that bits of metal and whatnot could be floating around in the engine. Which is a good point and nobody wants a potential time bomb lurking around in their engine. But I feel like I’ve read plenty of posts where people have replaced broken lifters and the cam and had no problems after. (Assuming my issue is a lifter). Then he went on to tell me that if the dealer finds cam or lifter damage they will recommend an engine replacement as well. He only knows of one shop in our area who agreed to do cam and lifter work on a Hemi and charged like $5k for the work. Then he said an engine replace it could be like $11k. I’m like sh*%, I bought the truck less than two years ago and still owe the bulk of the loan. As I mentioned I luckily have a warranty but man I’m worried about how all this going to go down.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
People replace cam and lifters all the time on this board and not fix the tick. Post a youtube if you want feedback, take vid from underneath engine, post when the truck ticks and what brings it on and if it ever stops and when.