TIPM Questions For Body Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slippy67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I apologize if I am posting in the wrong section, I've never used the forums before.
I have a 2007.5 2500 6.7L G56 4X4 CCSB ST. Manual EVERYTHING.
I also have a donor 2008 1500 5.7L 4X4 CCSB Laramie Sport. Power everything with no sunroof.
I want to use the 1500 body on the 2500 but I want all the interior and power locks/windows to work like normal.
My assumption is using the TIPM on the 2500 and in theory, plug in the body harness from the 1500 body into it. I at least know it will likely need to be reprogrammed to make that work. I just can't get an answer as to will that work? Or has anyone done something similar to this?

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I sort of did something like this. My '06 was an ST base model as well and I upgraded to power locks, windows, and mirrors. I believe what you're doing should work relatively well--It would probably be best to keep the different computer modules from your '07 so they match up with your TIPM just in case.

Pretty much there's 3 BIG wire harnesses when dealing with interior stuff--
- One between the TIPM and the firewall (I didn't replace this one, just ran a single wire my ST was missing)
- One that runs behind the dash
- One that runs on the floor into the doors and up towards the A-pillars.

If you're using the donor truck's cab then you should be fine, just might consider replacing the airbag module to prevent an unwanted dash light due to a VIN mismatch between the computers. On the TIPM-firewall harness, I just ran a power wire from the TIPM to the power window 12v feed as that was the only wire I was missing.

For power locks to work you will probably need the instrument cluster out of the donor truck, the ST clusters don't have the electrical for that. The mileage on the new cluster won't be accurate for your truck unless you send it out to get programmed to the correct mileage

Watch out for the sentry key stuff too. Pretty much, remove or unplug the SKIM module BEFORE you connect to the TIPM or battery--I guess some folks in the past have had their TIPMs brick up when someone plugs in a foreign SKIM module. It's on the steering column around the key area. It can be quite picky so if you were to plug the 2008's RKE and sentry key module into your '07, the VIN mismatch between TIPM and SKIM module could cause a no-start or worse brick your TIPM up. If you do want factory RKE and sentry key, you'd be best to take it to someone who knows how to program it in fresh (AKA not the dealer). Honestly the safest bet is to just do aftermarket RKE if you want it, theres not many successful stories of it being added to ST 06-08 trucks like ours. You will probably have the VTA light come up on your instrument cluster and stay there--thats normal just quite annoying. The cluster is looking for the security system that isn't there and isn't programmed, but it doesn't harm anything.

Here's a writeup of what I did, kinda wish I took more pictures but hopefully it can give you an idea.

Last edited: