Tire Recommendations - A Few Facts / Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, first off it's a 2016 Ram Tradesman 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel currently running 295/70/18 Cooper Discoverer St Maxx tires on Fuel Trophy 18x9 wheels. Suspension is stock rear, Pro Comp 2 Inch leveling lift kit front for tire clearance. I have a cab-high shell on the truck. The prior tires/wheels were BFG KO2 275/70/18 on the stock 18" wheels. The BFG only lasted 16,902 miles until they were down to 4/32s. I replaced these with the above-mentioned Fuel Wheels and Cooper Tires. They are now looking a little thin so I measured and they're down to 7/32s. This is after 23,032 miles. Taking the advertised tread depth of both the BFGs (15/32s) and the Coopers (18.5/32s) I figured the miles it took to burn off each 1/32 of tread and it came out to 1,537 miles for the BFGs and 2,003 miles for the Coopers. Based on that the present Coopers tread depth I should get about 6,000 more miles before I have to replace the Coopers. This will give me almost 30,000 miles off the Coopers. I kind of like them except for two things. #1 - The Discoverer St Maxx has a sort of directional tread (for lack of a better description). What I mean is, if you're looking at the front of the truck the tread on both the tires cut across the tire from the left side going downward to the right. (see picture). rerSTMaxx_Tread.png.aspx?width=420&height=546&ext=.png They've always pulled a little to the right since day one. I had the alignment checked and they said it's right on and they blamed the Coopers. I'm assuming that is so since the wear has been even. And, #2 - 30,000 miles isn't bad but I'd like to get a little more out of the next set. Or is that a pipe dream? Anyway, if you're still reading after all that what would you replace the Coopers with when the time comes in a couple of months or so? I do want to stay with the 295/70/18 size. Thanks.