To everyone out there with the 3 cup holder center console....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onewheelneil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does your rattle? Mine does. I barely have anything in there and my truck only has 301 miles on it. I thought it was my pistol rattling in there so I took everything out and it still does it. I think it's coming from the latch part. Anyone run into this yet?

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I dont have any problems with mine.... Maybe a bad spring in the latch or something?

Medic18d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your rattle? Mine does. I barely have anything in there and my truck only has 301 miles on it. I thought it was my pistol rattling in there so I took everything out and it still does it. I think it's coming from the latch part. Anyone run into this yet?
Don't forget to put the pistol back in the truck bro

OP
OP
onewheelneil

onewheelneil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Mine doesn't rattle at all.. but im only at 1100 miles.

LOL! Word.

Lol! I never took it out of the truck just moved it to another spot while I was eliminating possibilities.... Everything feels tight in the latch... But if I press down pretty firmly it won't do it. I know the guys at the dealership really well so I'll just wait till it gets scratched, stained or real dirty and let them warranty it out!!

Dale_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have fixed a rattle from the latch on my center fold up seat back. I think we are talking about the same thing.

First notice that the latch will not work with the seat back is in the raised position but it works when it's folded as an armrest/console. There is a little pendulum inside the latch that swivels when you raise or lower the lid and that pendulum was the source of the noise.

Take the four screws out of the hinge and remove the lid from the truck. You might as well leave it in the house for a couple days just to be sure the lid is the source of the rattle but if it is you need to gain access to the latch. The underside of the lid has a plastic frame around the perimeter. Find a spot where you can get your fingers under the edge and pull hard. One of the clips should release. Move around the lid and take the plastic frame completely out.

You might have to trim back the fabric slightly to see the latch mechanism. Look for a small triangular piece about 1/4" that swivels when you tilt the cover vertically/horizontally. You want to jam that little sucker so it can't move. Make sure you jam it in the position that allows the latch to operate. I found a little weatherstripping foam worked perfectly but didn't get in the way of the latch working.

Put the plastic frame back in and reinstall the lid in the truck. Worked for me. The only downside is your lid will open when the seat back is in the raised position and spill the contents out. So don't touch the latch when the seat is up or you'll make a mess.

Last edited:

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mine does it. goes away if i lean on it with my elbow on bumpy roads, lol. to me it def sounds like its coming from the latch, i just havent had time to really look into it.

13Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have fixed a rattle from the latch on my center fold up seat back. I think we are talking about the same thing.

First notice that the latch will not work with the seat back is in the raised position but it works when it's folded as an armrest/console. There is a little pendulum inside the latch that swivels when you raise or lower the lid and that pendulum was the source of the noise.

Take the four screws out of the hinge and remove the lid from the truck. You might as well leave it in the house for a couple days just to be sure the lid is the source of the rattle but if it is you need to gain access to the latch. The underside of the lid has a plastic frame around the perimeter. Find a spot where you can get your fingers under the edge and pull hard. One of the clips should release. Move around the lid and take the plastic frame completely out.

You might have to trim back the fabric slightly to see the latch mechanism. Look for a small triangular piece about 1/4" that swivels when you tilt the cover vertically/horizontally. You want to jam that little sucker so it can't move. Make sure you jam it in the position that allows the latch to operate. I found a little weatherstripping foam worked perfectly but didn't get in the way of the latch working.

Put the plastic frame back in and reinstall the lid in the truck. Worked for me. The only downside is your lid will open when the seat back is in the raised position and spill the contents out. So don't touch the latch when the seat is up or you'll make a mess.

I had the exact same problem with 2013 express with 1k miles on the clock. I did not need to take off the console lid. You can simply take a small piece of foam ...in my case some double-sided tape and shove with a screwdriver into the little triangle mechanism underneath the latch

WasTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know that the 3 cup holder is the ugliest part of the truck... Every time I look at one I am glad I went for the bucket style seats.

Hemiram94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bring it to a dealer and they'll take care of it. I work for a dealership and if your dealerships any good with customer service, they'll take care of ya. I get little stuff like that all day. But I just hit 3000 miles on my hemi and no problems!

Polaris Pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know that the 3 cup holder is the ugliest part of the truck... Every time I look at one I am glad I went for the bucket style seats.

I love mine because I can hold an extra passenger. The ugliest part of a truck is a cup holder?

Polaris Pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No problems at all. Are you sure it latches open properly?

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've got 87K on my truck and no rattle.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2010 RAM .... 103K.... no rattles on that part sir...

actually, not many rattles anywhere!

ATRepair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1200 miles and the only rattle in my center console was a reload box of 45ACP :)

racer2146

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine doesn't rattle but the whole thing shakes like heck at certain speeds. My truck has just under 1000 miles on it and I've noticed this since I picked it up.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Center console with buckets. 14K miles--no rattles, no squeaks, no annoyances.

:party33: