To RamBox or Not to RamBox ... plus other questions (multi-function tailgate)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I am getting ready to order a RAM 1500 and am contemplating between a Big Horn, Rebel, or Laramie. One thing holding me back is the inclusion of a RamBox cargo management system. I've never had a truck before and I think the RamBoxes would be more useful to somebody used to having a trunk to put things in. I have also never used RamBoxes before so I don't know how good it will be.

For those who have one (or decided against it), what is your take on the RamBox? A necessity or can I live without it? And how wide is the interior space inside this? I saw a picture of a basketball inside one which would indicate 9" width, but have not seen published specs anywhere.

Similarly, what's the story on the multi-function tailgate? It seems like a useful feature on a truck with a tonneau cover, but how is execution different from theory? And for those equipped with the Power Tailgate Release, how is the multi-function-tailgate affected? Will that button still lower it automatically downward, or will it open it to the side?

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve never had the RamBoxes but did have a Ridgeline with the in-bed trunk which is the same concept. I found the in-bed trunk to be an excellent option and feel the RamBoxes would be great as well. You give up a bit of bed width but the trade-off would be worth it if you’ve never had a truck and won’t know what you’re missing.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
2 must haves for me RamBox and MFT.

The MFT only drops down with the "open" button. The tailgate is a "normal" tailgate other than it can open 60/40. It is freaking awesome. I would be pissed if I had not got it on this truck. I use the feature all the time.

RamBox - I have the spray-in liner and divider. The divider is awesome. I use it a lot.
As for the RamBox themselves, I put in stuff I would not otherwise put in the cab. Dirty stuff.

The main question is what do you do with your truck?

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pretty much what Farm Fran said. I got them both and love them both. I almost never lower the tailgate, and the Ram boxes, I use them for everything from grocery runs to keeping tow straps, tools, etc. And the bed divider is awesome! As for how much bed space do you sacrifice, it depends on what you haul, but you can still load full 4x8 sheets of plywood. So I am good with that.

OP
OP
S

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't do construction but for the occasional homeowner hauls, 4x8 plywood and even sheetrock is good enough for me.

If you only use the MFT and open it to the side, almost never opening it down, then you probably never use the power tailgate release either, making that a wasted/unecessary feature.

Which means 1 less reason to get a Rebel/Laramie trim.

Now I gotta decide if I like the bright red or granite night editions better. (My main concern with red is it's too loud and more likely to get pulled over. Any experience with that?)

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you only use the MFT and open it to the side, almost never opening it down, then you probably never use the power tailgate release either, making that a wasted/unecessary feature.

I have never used the power tailgate release!

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have used the release a few times, both on the key fob and on the overhead console. It was not necessary but since I had it I used it.

As for Red, I have always found that to be an old wives tale.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I don't do construction but for the occasional homeowner hauls, 4x8 plywood and even sheetrock is good enough for me.

Now I gotta decide if I like the bright red or granite night editions better. (My main concern with red is it's too loud and more likely to get pulled over. Any experience with that?)

My concern with red has always been the hood turning pink. Maybe the newer paints don't do that?

I've used the power release on mine, mostly just because it was there. It is nice to be able to drop the tailgate while walking back out to the truck and not have to put down what you're carrying to open the tailgate, as long as you remember to pick up the fob before everything else.

As for the original question - love the Rambox, MFT wasn't an option when I bought mine, but looks convenient.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2 must haves for me RamBox and MFT.

The MFT only drops down with the "open" button. The tailgate is a "normal" tailgate other than it can open 60/40. It is freaking awesome. I would be pissed if I had not got it on this truck. I use the feature all the time.

RamBox - I have the spray-in liner and divider. The divider is awesome. I use it a lot.
As for the RamBox themselves, I put in stuff I would not otherwise put in the cab. Dirty stuff.

The main question is what do you do with your truck?

You nailed it Fran. Both options are extremely useful for us on our Limited. My Laramie has the rambox but no MFT. I really wish it did. The only time I open the tailgate in the traditional way on the Limited is to use it as a seat or a work bench. The only down side of the rambox is the lids can warp or become misaligned. It's purely a cosmetic issue, but some people have a real problem with it.

Sounds like you're sold on them both. I think that's a good choice. I never use the power tailgate release on either truck. Never really made much sense to me, because I'd still have to have a hand free to dig the remote out of my pocket. So I might as well just use that hand to open the tailgate manually.

I looked at Big Horns and Rebels when I was shopping for my truck, and I found a couple which had almost everything I wanted. But I decided on a Laramie because I wanted ventilated seats, which are not available on the Big Horn or Rebel. I also wanted remote proximity keyless entry, which isn't available on the Big Horn either, but is an option for the Rebel.

Arvid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I opted for the multifunction tail gate and it’s been a game changer! Wouldn’t have another truck without one.

as for the ram boxes I cannot say. But I opted not to get them because every truck I’ve ever had sided boxes in I end up scratching or scuffing the side of the truck and I might wanna drop a cap on one day.

OP
OP
S

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for the tips, everyone. They do help. I am at the point where I am just deciding which one to order. It would help to know the differences between the stock trims as the RAM website is not very helpful in this regard.

@mikeru my wife's Jeep has the keyless proximity entry and while useful, I'm not sure it's required for me (coming from an 11yo Corolla where I never had it) ... are the ventilated seats useful for blowing cold air/AC through them?

I am looking at a Built To Serve edition because it has "premium cloth/vinyl seats" which I prefer over all the other cloth options for the Big Horns. I would guess it is on par with standard Rebel cloth/vinyl seats. Not sure I "need" a leather seat upgrade even though I have 2 kids in car seats. Somebody told me kids destroy everything regardless of the seat type.

If they had a Built To Serve with my reqs, I would have bought it. But since they don't and I have to order, I will either order one or upgrade to the Laramie/Rebel. Just depends on whether those extra features are worth it or not.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Keyless proximity entry is not a requirement for me either. But I really like having it. Saves me from having to dig my hand into my pocket to grab the fob. Especially helpful in winter, since it works even when I'm wearing my gloves.

The ventilated seats do not actually blow any air, they suck air into them. They were a game changer for me even though I really only use them for about 3 months out of the year.

I agree with you about the BTS edition seats. I think they're the best looking of all the Ram 1500 seats. Not sure about how comfortable they are on a trip though.

AGANDY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When shopping for my 2020 Ram Limited it was an absolute that I got the RamBox and did NOT want the MFT. Since it was September and I wanted the dark grey, inventory was thin. They found one 300 miles away but it had the MFT. I was stuck. But I absolutely love it and for all the reasons listed above. Now it did cause me a problem. I ordered a US Truck Cover tonneau cover but did not mention the MFT. The MFT has a different gate cover on the inside which makes it protrude into the bed space about 1/8 inch more than the regular tailgate. Not much but too much. I had to cut the aluminum top rails and modify the steel mounting rails a bit. All is well. Love the cover.

OP
OP
S

SecuRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When shopping for my 2020 Ram Limited it was an absolute that I got the RamBox and did NOT want the MFT. Since it was September and I wanted the dark grey, inventory was thin. They found one 300 miles away but it had the MFT. I was stuck. But I absolutely love it and for all the reasons listed above. Now it did cause me a problem. I ordered a US Truck Cover tonneau cover but did not mention the MFT. The MFT has a different gate cover on the inside which makes it protrude into the bed space about 1/8 inch more than the regular tailgate. Not much but too much. I had to cut the aluminum top rails and modify the steel mounting rails a bit. All is well. Love the cover.
@AGANDY

Thanks, that brings up another question: which Tonneau Cover to fit a RamBox plus MFT? I don't know how good the stock one is (Mopar option on RAM site) or if there is something better.

TOMMYGUNNZZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I’ve had both as 2500. RAMBOX all the way for sure. You really don’t lose bed space. For long camping hauls i fit a full size floor jack,2 jacks, maxtrax, all ur straps, chains, recovery tools, jump starter, all the dirty gear. And then the bed is available for all the wife and kids nonsence. But. You lose some flexibility if u want a cover AND bed rack. You won’t regret a RAMBOX

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
@AGANDY

Thanks, that brings up another question: which Tonneau Cover to fit a RamBox plus MFT? I don't know how good the stock one is (Mopar option on RAM site) or if there is something better.
The MFT doesn't matter if you have a rambox. Any cover that will fit a rambox with the normal tailgate will fit a rambox with the MFT. The MFT is an issue for the non-rambox beds because of the extra bracing that's needed to support the heavier tailgate. But that bracing is not needed on the rambox beds. The bigger issue is the utility rails. There are two versions of them, one is black and the other is silver. You have a lot more choices if you have the silver rails. They can be changed out, but cost a couple hundred dollars.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I like the idea of the rambox but no way I can live with the reduced bed space so it's a no go for me. That's really the question you have to ask yourself. Do you need bed space? Do you haul stuff a lot? I don't care what anyone says, it's a big difference in space. It may not look like it on paper but when you start putting stuff in there you will see.
The multi function tailgate is kind of cool though. I'd get that if it were available.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
I like the idea of the rambox but no way I can live with the reduced bed space so it's a no go for me. That's really the question you have to ask yourself. Do you need bed space? Do you haul stuff a lot? I don't care what anyone says, it's a big difference in space. It may not look like it on paper but when you start putting stuff in there you will see.
The multi function tailgate is kind of cool though. I'd get that if it were available.

I agree to an extent. But do not forget the space lost is also space gained in the RamBox.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree to an extent. But do not forget the space lost is also space gained in the RamBox.

True, but unfortunately the space gained in the rambox does me no good when I need to load the bed with (what ever). It's great for storage but I need the bed space more then storage. Now if I could have the full bed AND ramboxes that would be ideal for me.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any way to add the tailgate and assembly to an older model? also thinking of adding that cool step too. :)