Top side oil change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You mean just sucking it out the dipstick?

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone ever performed a top side oil change on their 2500, 6.4 liter Ram?

bks

I wouldn't recommend it. For starters, you will never get as much oil out as opposed to removing the plug. And you still have to climb under the truck with a drain pan to change the filter, so their isn't really any advantage. Not sure what you are trying to gain? As LeesEvox pointed out, their is so much room under the truck you don't even need ramps or a jack.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To answer the OPs question, I wouldn't do it thru the dipstick. Draining it out the drain plug flushes any sludge and contaminants that may be in the bottom of the oil pan out. Plus you will get a more complete drain out of the drain plug.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Being a boater I have done (unfortunately) many oil changes via the dipstick tube.
First of all, you can rarely get that last quart, and that will be the quart with the most contaminates settled into it.
Second, finding a good reliable pump or other device to get the oil out is difficult. Yes thy usually work fine the first time, but most will not work for many changes.

That said, if you plumb a fitting into the drain plug with a large diameter hose (3/8 or 1/2) that leads to the top of the engine you can suck out most of it with a flexible impeller pump. And if you can unclamp and get the hose/pump to bottom of the engine level you'll get it all.
My last to boat diesels were set up this way.

But it's still easier and less messy to pull the plug and let it go IMO

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Being a boater I have done (unfortunately) many oil changes via the dipstick tube.
First of all, you can rarely get that last quart, and that will be the quart with the most contaminates settled into it.
Second, finding a good reliable pump or other device to get the oil out is difficult. Yes thy usually work fine the first time, but most will not work for many changes.

That said, if you plumb a fitting into the drain plug with a large diameter hose (3/8 or 1/2) that leads to the top of the engine you can suck out most of it with a flexible impeller pump. And if you can unclamp and get the hose/pump to bottom of the engine level you'll get it all.
My last to boat diesels were set up this way.

But it's still easier and less messy to pull the plug and let it go IMO

That's the only time I'd do a dipstick oil change, on a boat engine. Even the 1500 two-wheel drive is easy to reach under to remove the plug without jacking it up. Plus with the Pentastar changing the filter is a piece of cake, being on top of the engine.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a kit in my miata that used a banjo fitting on the drain plug.

Also came with a 12v pump.

Sold the car, still using the pump.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bkspenc09

bkspenc09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't recommend it. For starters, you will never get as much oil out as opposed to removing the plug. And you still have to climb under the truck with a drain pan to change the filter, so their isn't really any advantage. Not sure what you are trying to gain? As LeesEvox pointed out, their is so much room under the truck you don't even need ramps or a jack.

I agree there is a ton of space underneath. Just haven't tried it yet and was curious.

Neil Derryberry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you did plumb something in to the drain plug (say via a fumoto valve) you would have to leave the valve open. I'd be worried about road trash potentially taking out that tubing. Not worth it IMO. With a fumoto valve I can do changes on my truck with no mess and no tools. That's the way to go..

Flryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could see why you would want to do that on a Mini Cooper. My Daughter has one and I am the designated mechanic. You can't get a regular sized floor jack under it anywhere and getting it up on ramps involves putting a 2 X 4 in front of the ramp so the air dam does not break. But, on your Ram it is easy to get underneath and change the oil the traditional way, which is likely to be much more effective. I use a vacuum device on my Waverunners and there is always a significant amount of oil still in the motor after trying to suck it all out. That may be because both of the Waverunners have a dry sump system.

DURASPANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to harbor freight and buy the plastic ramps. Pull up on them then a 5 gallon bucket will fit right under truck. Used this on mt 07 mega cab cummins and my sons 13 5.7 and now my 17 6.4 mega cab. No mess at all on my driveway. Beats the crap out of the drain pan splash.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
R U KIDDING ME??? Plenty of room underneath get down and drain it like a man and put on a new filter with 7 quarts of Amsoil 0-40!

seriously if you are trying to save a buck you can’t afford the truck you are going cheap ass on!

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who mentioned saving a buck?

Sounds like some wierd low level bragging.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk