Tossin ideas around.... v.prerunner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
maybe a different set of rims, but thats not a huge deal.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
okay, this is my ideal stance for the truck. Maybe a inch higher with a set of meaty,knobby tires.

That looks awesome (other than the 2-tone thing he's got going on). I like the prerunner look. It's not something you see everyday.

As far as tires, those look like the BFG Mud Terrains (predecessor to the current KM2's). I had those same tires on my last 2 4wd trucks and they are really good, beefy tires. My brother has them too and drove around for a while with a good sized screw in the tread. Only found out it was there when he was getting his tires rotated at Discount. They tires can definitely take a beating and a lot of Jeep folks use them for rock crawling because of the thick sidewall. The KM2's that are out now look even better and perform better too. I would have them on my truck now, but in the size I needed they were ridiculously expensive.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
is this going to be just for looks or are you actually gonna uses it? if its just for looks i dont see the need for the added support. also if your gonna use it and plan on maybe catching a little air might want to look into a long travel suspension.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only thing left to do would be some sort of beefy/aggressive grill. ;)

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
is this going to be just for looks or are you actually gonna uses it? if its just for looks i dont see the need for the added support. also if your gonna use it and plan on maybe catching a little air might want to look into a long travel suspension.

ill be using it.. not go crazy hard running the truck like a real baja racer does, but it will get used. Like i said not to crazy cause it is 2wd and all.

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
wo

0907or_01_z%252Bupgrading_dodge_ram_2500%252Bfront_view.jpg

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
Guys, favor? Can we not link over to other sites please?

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe if you live in he desert and want a high speed rig. A powerwagon is still better fr 90% of the country.

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Obviously this is what I am kinda doing to my truck. Not on the functional level that you are, though.

The problem is that there are really no bolt on 2wd Ram 1500 long travel kits available. You can easily fix up your back end with some coilovers, new springs and blocks, and some arms. That can be made or bought. An electric or air locker would make climbing and mud easier. 4.56 would probably be the best bet because they go over 70 regularly.

The glass fenders would be great. I would love to do them but it will be a gripe to get them to match the flake for my truck without spraying the doors. Plus they require quite a bit to get the gaps right. But they look so good and increase what tire size you can fit by alot.

the crager soft 8s are a cheap steel rim that you can replace for cheap after they get bent up. Tires, I would go for the new General Grabbers. They are pretty popular with the desert guys, will be fine in mud but great in loose dirt and concrete.

On to the front suspension, lol. Thats the kicker! Our control arms will not work for a long travel kit, but nobody makes new ones that are different. It is going to be hard to get a good travel on the front, period. You can easily cut the shock buckets out, install coilover and remote mounts and get limiting straps, but the actual lower and upper control arms will be the problem without a fab shop around you.

for a bumper, I would go with ADD. They make some good looking bumpers for our trucks, I want one bad. 1k though. Tiregate makes the best tire haulers and that will replace the tailgate. You can get a bolt in gastank and toolbox for about $800 from UWS with a pump.

I would factor about $1200 for rims/tires, $2500 for shocks, $500 for springs and blocks. $1000 for gears/locker and install (on the cheap). If you can find someone to build you the arms, the joints and metal will be under $400. Figure about $1000 for front bumper and and $700 for rear, and then another $1000 for the tiregate and $800 for box/tank. Fenders/paint will be over a grand.

I dont know what you will do for the front end. Higher isnt always better, and the travel on mine isnt good at all even though its over 9in of lift. I would say you are over $10,000 not including the picky parts like bed support, roll cage, radios and console, seats/harnesses/etc. Its ridiculous to build a race ready truck haha

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MMW does make some heavy duty UCA's. I would deff look into that if I was serious.

And I would look at the bed mounts that 08 and angus devil use. It bolts from the top of the bed side to the middle of the back of the bed. Supposed to reduce the warp and abuse put onto the beds in the dessert runs.