Towing and Payload (oh no, not again!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeinNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So help me out, all you capacity experts. I've been reading threads and articles on-line, and still trying to figure some things. I know its been beaten to death, but the more I read, the more my head wants to explode.

Truck:
2014 Limited
8 speed
3.21 axle
4 Corner factory air suspension

Tires
Nitto Grappler G2 (Designated as XL, with a load rating of 2,756)

Ram Published Specs:
GCWR = 13,500
Total Weight = 5,718 (Distribution = 3,295 FRONT and 2,433 REAR)
(So assume the 13,500 minus the 5,718 (which is 7,782) is what gives the tow rating?

Max Trailer Weight = 7,600

Why does the door tag show GAWR for front and rear at 3,900LB? That's 7,800 total - what's it supposed to coincide with?

GVWR = 6,900
Payload = 1,180 (so assume Total Weight plus Payload = GVWR)?

Toy being hauled - with some assumptions:
Boat - 3,700 per manufacturer
Trailer - 1,400 per manufacturer
Motor - 605 - per manufacturer
Gas when hauling - 600 pounds (80-100 gallons @ 6# per gallon)
Miscellaneous on board Equipment/Gear/Electronics - 500 pounds

Total weight 6,825 (playing it safe. Usually less gas, and all equipment is removed from boat)

Info on The trailer,: Its a tri-axle with brakes. Way overkill given the size of the boat, but it does tow nice: straight as an arrow when using a friends Ram 1500. The trailer tongue is approximately 7-8 feet before the bow of the boat. I have no idea if any of this affects tongue weight.

So, if I take my payload of 1,180, less:
20 gallons of gas in truck = 120 pounds
Me at 220
Coffee & donuts at 4 pounds
Tongue weight at 850 (I used 12.5% of the trailer weight?)
Total of 1,194. So 14 pounds above max payload?

Am I missing/Forgetting anything?
Is my math off anywhere?
Should I be able to reasonably tow this boat? 60 miles, twice a year. "Mostly" flat!

Appreciate the feedback.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Your Payload includes a full tank of gas, no need to deduct weight of fuel.

Your best bet to take out all the guess work is to visit a CAT scale at a truck stop and get your truck weighed, full of gas and ready to tow. Then get another weight with the boat hooked up for total gross combined weight. If you are using a WD hitch, then get another weight without it engaged. So potentially three passes on the scales.

IMO, the numbers to never exceed are GAWR for each axle and max tire weight ratings (at max psi cold) Ram has historically been conservative with payload and tow ratings, Ford... not so much.

One thing you may have found is that when your truck is loaded to GVWR, your advertised tow capacity usually goes down. So loaded to GVWR, then subtracted from your GCWR is your capacity left for towing.

OP
OP
M

MikeinNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if my GAWR is 3900 per axle, or 7800 total, do I have to know what weight is on each axle, and if so, how would I go about that?

Or does it not matter? 7800 is my max GAWR, so take my vehicle weight (5718) add in my payload including tongue weight (1,194 +/-) for a total of 6,912, give or take? And then I'm good because I fall below the GAWR?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
As HvyDuty said take it to a cat scale & remove the guesswork. Yes you want to know the axle weights. Ideally with loaded boat attached you want to retain your unloaded steer weight (3,295 per you) and not exceed 3,900 on either drive or steer. With the boat axle weight & you can calculate actual tongue weight. You want between 10 & 15 percent. If those 3 figures are in line she will be safe & stable to tow. Boats are often only 10 percent TW.

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So if my GAWR is 3900 per axle, or 7800 total, do I have to know what weight is on each axle, and if so, how would I go about that?

Or does it not matter? 7800 is my max GAWR, so take my vehicle weight (5718) add in my payload including tongue weight (1,194 +/-) for a total of 6,912, give or take? And then I'm good because I fall below the GAWR?

My 16 4x4 1500 long bed had a sticker weight of 5830 but with a full tank of gas and Rebel wheels and tires, plus running boards, it came in at 6040 pounds on a CAT scale, leaving me with less than 900 pounds of payload. Like mentioned above, get it weighed and take the guess work out of it.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
find out by weighing your weight on the rear axle with the hitch installed then subtract it from your gawr of 3900 lbs if you are under that after you set up your trailer on the truck you will be good to go. and like vern says keep your steer axle at or over 3295lbs

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeinNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate it, folks. To the scale I go. At some point...!

pjtj2k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Newbie here, I am trying to solve the towing and payload puzzle. I have a 2016 RAM 4x4 Laramie. I actually went to a CAT scale. This is with my wife and I plus full tank of gas. Anyone notice the front axle is over the GAWR?
WTH??? This truck has NOT been modified.
I don't know what to believe anymore.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 08.12.14.png

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Lol WTH steer weight is typically around 3,300 pounds. Something is off. A re-weigh is usually about $2 so just try it again. Cat can weigh 3 axles or sets of axles in one weigh. Center it best you can steer axle on one scale box and drive axle on another.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Newbie here, I am trying to solve the towing and payload puzzle. I have a 2016 RAM 4x4 Laramie. I actually went to a CAT scale. This is with my wife and I plus full tank of gas. Anyone notice the front axle is over the GAWR?
WTH??? This truck has NOT been modified.
I don't know what to believe anymore.

View attachment 172650

In the words of Roy D. Mercer. "How big a boy are you?" LOL

Lol WTH steer weight is typically around 3,300 pounds. Something is off. A re-weigh is usually about $2 so just try it again. Cat can weigh 3 axles or sets of axles in one weigh. Center it best you can steer axle on one scale box and drive axle on another.

I would definitely try to weigh again, as VernDiesel mentioned. Make sure the truck is stopped, and stable. I downloaded the app, so I could make sure they didn't hit the weigh button while I was out of the truck reaching for the call button.

Total weight may be about right, my 2012 2wd 1500 CC laramie weighed 5800 lbs total, never got individual axle weights on that truck without a trailer. Almost sounds like they hit the weigh button before you came to a complete stop, so more weight was still on the front.