towing capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Depending on the axle ratio, probably not want to go much over 4500 lbs especially if it's a trailer with high wind load.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
What does the door sticker say?
The door stick states GVWR and GAWR, it does not state a towing capacity (technically GCVWR). If you don't know what the acronyms mean, you probably shouldn't be commenting on the subject of the post.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The door stick states GVWR and GAWR, it does not state a towing capacity (technically GCVWR). If you don't know what the acronyms mean, you probably shouldn't be commenting on the subject of the post.
If you take the loaded weight of the vehicle, and subtract that from the GCVWR, will that not give the tow rating.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
A quick google search shows anywhere from 3050 to 3750 depending on trans and gearing. I had a 3.7 in my liberty and frankly, it made a great toad but not so much for towing anything aside from the aluminum boat. It was always down shifting and revving up even with that behind it. Good luck

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you take the loaded weight of the vehicle, and subtract that from the GCVWR, will that not give the tow rating.
I think doing the math with a fully loaded weight ticket and subtracting from GVWR is the ONLY way to figure towing capacity. People look at the online chart or look up the VIN and see "Oohhhh, I have 2,000 lbs of payload and taking the magic 15% I can tow 13k lbs." They often fail to consider the 150 lbs of running boards, 75lbs of cover, 400lbs of people and gear, 50lbs hitch, etc. For an example take that original 2k from chart, subtract all the above and the trailer is now 9500lbs.

So yeah, load the truck with everything and everyone full of fuel and subtract that value from GVWR, best answer anyone will ever get.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think doing the math with a fully loaded weight ticket and subtracting from GVWR is the ONLY way to figure towing capacity. People look at the online chart or look up the VIN and see "Oohhhh, I have 2,000 lbs of payload and taking the magic 15% I can tow 13k lbs." They often fail to consider the 150 lbs of running boards, 75lbs of cover, 400lbs of people and gear, 50lbs hitch, etc. For an example take that original 2k from chart, subtract all the above and the trailer is now 9500lbs.

So yeah, load the truck with everything and everyone full of fuel and subtract that value from GVWR, best answer anyone will ever get.
That wasn't the question. The question was what the tow rating was, although that is only part of a safe and sane setup. So, for the long answer, you are correct.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agree, the question generally is being asked about the tow rating. But that is because companies market a number that is generally irrelevant to real world applications and then people don't understand what they really need to know. So I think it is better to give the full operational answer rather than perpetuate a fairy tale and say "Once upon a time, you can tow 10k pounds. The end."