Highest towing capacity for the 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Looking at some of the window stickers:
Some have just the Class IV hitch and trailer brake controller. I've also seen some that just have the class IV hitch and no TBC. Looks like the TBC is a $295 option, not sure if it can be added to a truck that doesn't have it?

Others have the tow package which lists:
Trailer–Tow Group
Reverse Steering Control
Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Trailer Brake–Controller
Power Trailer–Tow Mirrors with Manual Fold–Away

Those that have the tow package, would you say any of those are 'must have' items? I guess reverse steering control would be nice, but don't really care about tire pressure monitoring.
I actually did just this. I had the Class IV hitch but didn't have the OEM BC. I added it myself and had the dealership code it in which enabled all the functionality in the screen (the unit worked but I really wanted all the display stuff too). So, to answer your question, yes, it can absolutely be added if it didn't come from the factory with it.

marine0311

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '15 Ram 1500 Laramie has the 3.92 gear. I don't know if this is helpful. I did ALOT of searching on the interweb finding my Ram

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7, 4X4, Sport and Tow packages.
I actually did just this. I had the Class IV hitch but didn't have the OEM BC. I added it myself and had the dealership code it in which enabled all the functionality in the screen (the unit worked but I really wanted all the display stuff too). So, to answer your question, yes, it can absolutely be added if it didn't come from the factory with it.

Ok, good to know. If the truck I want doesn't have it, I would add it as part of the deal (new or pre-certified). I do want it to be integrated with the controls.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The brake controller being built in is nice because it looks like it belongs rather than having that aftermarket box hanging down below the steering wheel like every truck in the past had to have. This is a must have IMO.

I didn't want the tow mirrors cuz they're entirely too big to look right on a half ton truck IMO. Unless it's lifted with bigger wheels and tires.

I don't know what the reverse steering control is, that must be a 5th gen thing.

The trailer tire pressure monitoring system could be a good thing, that way you'd know a tire is getting low before it's blown out and tearing up the side of your trailer. But I've got ~100k miles of towing under my below without any system like that with no issues. I just pay attention to the tires at each stop.

I had a brake controller installed by UHaul in my previous Jeep. I'm 6' and the installer put it where my right knee would hit it. Then they gave me crap about relocating it to somewhere that's not in the way. That was frustrating.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
I had a brake controller installed by UHaul in my previous Jeep. I'm 6' and the installer put it where my right knee would hit it. Then they gave me crap about relocating it to somewhere that's not in the way. That was frustrating.
Yep, I've banged my knee on those things way too many times over the years. It's amazing to me that the manufacturers have only just started integrating those in the last decade or so

WSix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where can you get your max hitch weight?
I recall seeing g a dry weight and weight distributing hitch weigh at one time, but can't find it listed anywhere now.
TIA

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Where can you get your max hitch weight?
I recall seeing g a dry weight and weight distributing hitch weigh at one time, but can't find it listed anywhere now.
TIA

It is generally listed on a sticker on the receiver, or engraved into the receiver. However, that is only what the receiver itself can handle. Your actual hitch will have a different rating, sometimes higher, sometimes lower dependent on what it's built for. Your truck is also going to have a max payload/max axle weight that you really should abide by.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The receiver hitch weight is listed on the passenger side of most receiver hitches but knowing the class of hitch also gives you the spec.

There are technically 5 classes of receiver hitch (Class 5 has 2 sub classes):

Class 1: 1.25" receiver size. TW capacity - 200 lbs
Class 2: 1.25" receiver size. TW capacity - 350 lbs
Class 3: 2" receiver size. TW capacity - 800 lbs. WDH capacity - 1,200 lbs
Class 4: 2" receiver size. TW capacity - 1000 lbs. WDH capacity - 1200 lbs
Class 5-Xtra duty: 2.5" receiver size. TW capacity - 2400-2550 lbs. WDH capacity - 2400-2550 lbs
Class 5-Commercial: 3" receiver size. TW capacity - 2700 lbs-3000 lbs. WDH capacity - 3000 lbs

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ended up buying one today! So stoked right now!

I was watching the prices on the 2023's and was about to get this one for $49K. Not very fancy, but does have the Sport and trailer package, heated seats and steering wheel. 8.4" radio.

I had gone to a closer dealer yesterday for one that was pretty much the same price, but had a few more things. Turns out they had about $6K worth of very lame add ons. Only about $1K that could be removed, so would be stuck with an extra $5K of junk. Left there pretty pissed.

Searched around a bit and found this one about an hour away. Called them and they confirmed NO ADD ONS unless I want them. Got in and out of there pretty quickly.

RAM.jpg

Ram2.jpg

Last edited:

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I guess I'm not understanding how to figure out payload then. Figure the only thing I would be towing is my Jeep on a flat bed trailer. So my Jeep probably weighs around 5500lbs, not sure how much the trailer would weigh because I don't have it yet. Probably 95% of the time, it would be just myself in the truck, the truck would be pretty empty.
You’ll be fine with that.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I ended up buying one today! So stoked right now!

I was watching the prices on the 2023's and was about to get this one for $49K. Not very fancy, but does have the Sport and trailer package, heated seats and steering wheel. 8.4" radio.

I had gone to a closer dealer yesterday for one that was pretty much the same price, but had a few more things. Turns out they had about $6K worth of very lame add ons. Only about $1K that could be removed, so would be stuck with an extra $5K of junk. Left there pretty pissed.

Searched around a bit and found this one about an hour away. Called them and they confirmed NO ADD ONS unless I want them. Got in and out of there pretty quickly.

View attachment 540041

View attachment 540042
That’s a beautiful truck! Enjoy. I have never been in a better riding vehicle. These trucks are amazing.

OP
OP
suicideking

suicideking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s a beautiful truck! Enjoy. I have never been in a better riding vehicle. These trucks are amazing.

Thank you sir!

Yeah, the smooth ride quality was a major factor for me. I was considering the F150 3.5 EB. Wife has an Expedition with the 3.5. Just by chance, she was in a minor fender bender. The Expedition is in the shop. She signed up for an economy sedan and they were out. So they gave her a '23 F150 with the 3.5 EB and 4X4. She new I would be more than pleased to have an extended test drive. I did also at one point have an '18 F150 2.7 that I traded for her Expedition.

Both F150's (my old 2.7 and the '23 rental) weren't terrible. Just not as smooth, more bouncy. Likely because of the rear leaf springs vs. the Ram coils. My commute has a section of freeway that I refer to as 'the woops'. In both F150's (and my '04 Jeep Wrangler) that section is VERY bouncy. Barely notice it in the Ram. Same with other things like crossing train tracks. The Ram just glides over it. Don't have to slow down as much to avoid losing a filing.

I'd be tempted to get a small lift to fit 35's, but don't want to gamble with my smooth ride, or degrade it's towing ability.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you sir!

Yeah, the smooth ride quality was a major factor for me. I was considering the F150 3.5 EB. Wife has an Expedition with the 3.5. Just by chance, she was in a minor fender bender. The Expedition is in the shop. She signed up for an economy sedan and they were out. So they gave her a '23 F150 with the 3.5 EB and 4X4. She new I would be more than pleased to have an extended test drive. I did also at one point have an '18 F150 2.7 that I traded for her Expedition.

Both F150's (my old 2.7 and the '23 rental) weren't terrible. Just not as smooth, more bouncy. Likely because of the rear leaf springs vs. the Ram coils. My commute has a section of freeway that I refer to as 'the woops'. In both F150's (and my '04 Jeep Wrangler) that section is VERY bouncy. Barely notice it in the Ram. Same with other things like crossing train tracks. The Ram just glides over it. Don't have to slow down as much to avoid losing a filing.

I'd be tempted to get a small lift to fit 35's, but don't want to gamble with my smooth ride, or degrade it's towing ability.
I agree. My last ram got oversized heavy tires. It was the old 4.7 in a work truck, st. Between the engine and the transmission, it wrecked what little pep that truck had. I still abused it for 10 years and loved it till the day I traded it in.

This time I bought a Laramie that I loved the appearance of as is. It rides so beautifully I don’t want to mess with it too much. I did add some air bags to the back for when I haul/tow without a wdh. That’s it for performance purposes. I always add steps and a topper. It’s a true old man truck now,lol.