Towing Hitch Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreinhart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got this truck and somebody cut off the hitch flush. And now I can’t get it out.

So I am asking if I should replace the hitch with one for the junk yard, or should I just buy a new one from etrailers. And what size of towing should maybe I get 20,000 or 16,000

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not sure what you mean by they cut off the hitch flush. Did they cut off the stinger leaving the end inside the receiver? Or are we talking about a gooseneck hitch in the bed? In many cases the gooseneck balls can be flipped over leaving the bed flat. I have that kind and a Demco Recon 20K hitch that pins to the gooseneck ball for my 5th wheeler. And regarding what size of towing should you get, only you know what you expect to tow. What model truck is it? 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, or one ton? A little more info would really help answer your questions.

OP
OP
D

dreinhart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck is a 1500 8 ft bed 4 x 4. Camper maybe somewhere around 30 ft.

OP
OP
D

dreinhart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought of cutting the factory one off and putting this one on.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your probably not going to get that out of the old receiver, time to cut your losses and buy a new one.
There's no need for a Class V receiver on a 1500, a Class IV is more than enough capacity to exceed what you can tow.

OP
OP
D

dreinhart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure but I was hoping to get it out but it is seized in there. So now I'll cut that hitch off and put a new one on.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
What idiot does that to a hitch???????
LOL - probably couldn't get it out due to the rust and was probably tired of hitting his shins on it, so hey, whatever works.

Agreed with the comments above, max tow on your truck is probably around 8,000 lbs. Absolutely no need for a 16K hitch.

Check the frame real good while you're under there. From what little I can see in the pic, it looks like this truck may have put more than one boat in the water, or the salt they put down on the roads there have taken their toll, (I grew up in Akron). Make sure it's not rusted out too bad, if you're towing heavy and the frame is rusted out, makes a combination for a disaster.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Try hammering it out from the back. I had to do that on my wifes Durango after her hitch step rusted so bad it wouldn't come out. On some Rams the hitch is 2 pieces, the receiver bolts to a carrier which bolts to the frames.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yep. If heating it and hammering on it didn't work, it's time for a new hitch. Like mentioned earlier, check your frame really good, especially where the hitch attaches. I saw a guy pull into a campground one time with only one side of the hitch still connected to the truck because everything was rusted out underneath. He was lucky and wasn't even aware of it. FWIW-If your frame is really bad you can always plate it and beef it up. Good luck

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Soak it in wd40 heat it up good and take a air hammer to it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Unbolt it from the frame

Grind all of the rust off of your frame
use rust inhibitor on the metal, like POR 15 or Eastwood Encapsulator

Get the Truck ready for a hitch first
then either try to get that piece out of the hitch receiver or get rid of it, you can always get another Class 4 Hitch Receiver if you need it to do towing

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Don't give up. Start soaking it with something like Seafoam's Deep Creep for a few days, heat and hammer. I would do everything to salvage the factory receiver.

OP
OP
D

dreinhart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have tried everything. I only have a hand torch which don't get it hot enough. As for spring I have don't that for the last 4 months and still nothing.

JF19Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETorque
Wow..

Probably best to just pull the hitch and buy another.. assuming you can even get the bolts off.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
The way I see it is you have several options. Many good prior statements as well. 1. soak it for a few days maybe a week then drop the spare lift it as much as you can. Get a BIG hammer and chisel and be patient it is gonna take some time BUT it went in it will come out. Also make sure the idiot didn't cut the pin. #2. Go to a junkyard and buy another one. it will be $50 or less. I have a lift so option 1 of course is my 1st choice but there is ALWAYS option #2. One other thing I would also do is treat it like a rusted bolt drive it out some and then drive it back in a little and repeat process. It will take a little longer BUT it will come out. Also really not sure how much rust is in your hitch MIGHT be better to get a junkyard one looking at your pics.

Last edited: