Towing - Tuner question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhostRdr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. When towing a small box trailer with dual axle I am only seeing around 11 MPG. I was curious if a tuner would help improve the towing MPG? If so what tuner would you recommend?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
One of the biggest factors of fuel economy is the aerodynamics, you're already in a rolling cinder block, then the type of trailer could be another cinder block. I doubt a tune would save enough to justify the cost.
I have a 18' boat that about 3200 lbs on the trailer, my fuel economy drops to about 20 mpg. When towing a 24' enclosed car hauler that's also about 3K lbs my fuel economy drops to about 16 mpg. Adding weight to the trailer doesn't drop the fuel economy much (1-2 mpg) even when almost tripling the weight unless climbing grades. Granted these fuel economy numbers are with an EcoDiesel but towing aerodynamics are the same.
Two reasons to keep the speed down while towing, safety and fuel economy.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I had a Superchips for my 2007. The tow tune did help BUT you had to run 93 octane so it balanced out. Really no money savings when it was said and done. If you can find a tow tune that runs the same fuel you normally run then it might help slightly. I have some numbers on a spreadsheet from it. Let me grab some of them.
Truck was a 2007 1500 4.7 with 3.92's.

Stock I averaged 11.986
Tow tune averaged 12.27
Performance averaged 13.012
XS average 11.272 but I forget what XS was for

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You use tow haul button? That will help with mileage on county roads and city driving, on the freeway stay around 55 with a trailer, good practise anyway. I wouldnt be that disapointed with 11mpg to be honest.

what gearing do you have?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Just for reference when I had my 2007 4.7 I was towing a 14x7 tandem axle enclosed trailer. Even with 3.92s I towed it from Pittsburgh to Indy and it stayed in 3rd gear and turned over 3000 RPM the whole time. Can't remember my MPG but betting it was under 10

htwo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Towing any dual axle trailer and getting double digit mpg is awesome. A tuner won't help, lower speed and engage tow/haul. I find towing in 4th with my 2011 5.7 at 60-65mph provides the best fuel economy. Don't stay in overdrive thinking it'll help mpg, as it will overheat components by lugging the engine.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Let's talk about the cost to tune a 2016. You have to have a PCM. Cause it's locked, so you need an unlocked one, then you need tuning software, then you need a tuner, then you need to work with said tuner sending data logs etc, until you get it corrected. Then you are more than likely using higher cost fuel and the like.

So, your up front cost is probably in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2500 after PCM, tuning software and tuner.

Then fuel cost goes up say .25 cents per gallon, then, since you have the tuner already you can make other mods.

It's a slippery slope.

11 mpg sounds about right. Limit your speed to no more than 65. You will be economically better off.

However if you rolling in dough, spring for a 6.4, build it out, supercharge it, go with 3.92s and have a blast, or get yourself an a30 from direct connection, or better yet the a170 if you want to run e85, why care about mileage.

My .02

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 RAM 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. When towing a small box trailer with dual axle I am only seeing around 11 MPG. I was curious if a tuner would help improve the towing MPG? If so what tuner would you recommend?
Nah, not gonna help. The 5.7L will be in the 10-13 mpg area towing a big load, torque end of pull in high RPM;s, not low like a Diesel. If U tow all the time, than Diesel be yer buddy, or U could go up to a 2500 for more power, but the 6.4's are not yer friend on fuel either. Proper PSI in tires important also and when towing, make sure you use a Top Tier Fuel and go 89 Octane.

I occasionally pull a 14' Stock trailer, 2,150 lbs with 4-5K in trailer, so I get as stated above. Use tow haul, stay at 65mph or less, and be not in a hurry. NOW I do not have a WDH as I am just doing a local tow.

All above IMHO.

Tyler_h

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with HP Tuners. I know nothing about engines or tuning so it was a giant learning curve for me!

I'd get the tuner if you like driving your truck and will build it into something personal.

It blew my mind how poorly these engines are tuned from factory. It seems the engines are tuned to burn excess fuel for 'emissions'. Being able to adjust timing, fuel and shift points are big deals. For example, my 6 speed transmission and all 6 speed transmissions are programmed to go from 2nd to 4th. 3rd gear is never an option unless you enable it. My fuel economy on a 6" lift and 35's is almost as good as it was when I drove it home on day 1.

I cannot talk about the increased towing performance as I have not towed since I bought the tuner. Most guys will suggest long tube headers for low end torque and a tuner as the best bang for buck when it comes to mpgs.