TPMS light on even after adding air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad Cab White
Engine
5.7 Hemi
two mornings ago it was about 28 degrees outside. Started my truck, 2014 1500 Sport, Hemi 8 speed, upon starting, I seen the tpms light on, then the little chart in the dash showing the left rear tire was low, it said to inflate tires to 39psi, which I did when i got home from work. The light is still on, someone told me you have to drive a few miles before it will go off. I live close to work, but drove 10 miles tonight to try it, still on when I got home. Am I missing something or is this something I should call the dealer about?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine was showing 35 on all tires before I added air and I had no tpms light. I would take it in.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't even gave sensors in my 2013, no lights.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
Did you air up all the tires? It is possible for it to tell you the wrong position. Is there a sensor in the spare. I know on my jeep the light would come on when the spare was low.

OP
OP
M

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did air up all the tires, except the spare, I will try that tomorrow..... thanks guys

sentrek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
two mornings ago it was about 28 degrees outside. Started my truck, 2014 1500 Sport, Hemi 8 speed, upon starting, I seen the tpms light on, then the little chart in the dash showing the left rear tire was low, it said to inflate tires to 39psi, which I did when i got home from work. The light is still on, someone told me you have to drive a few miles before it will go off. I live close to work, but drove 10 miles tonight to try it, still on when I got home. Am I missing something or is this something I should call the dealer about?

Mine did not too long ago when the temp dropped (my Hyundai genesis did as well all the time when the temp dropped), i aired them up to 39 psi, it took about 100-120 miles before the light finally went off, give it a little time but it will go off as long as they are 39 psi or better.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the cluster show that it is at 39? Maybe you gauge is off a little. It has to be right at spec or above for the light to go off.

82Crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
1982, 2010
Engine
318 Magnum, 6.7 Cummins
Sure about that? I believe tpms is mandatory unless you shut it off some how.
2008 and up are required to have sensors. Heavy trucks did not fall in those guidelines for a while. Not sure if they do now. Also new sensors screw to a rubber stem. They are no longer metal.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
TPMS = major PITA.

I have one out right now (6 month old truck) that I have to take to the dealer for repair/replace.

Earlier issue: When I tried airing down below 80psi in the rear to help the ride the alarms started going off. I aired back up and it took a few trips before the sensors stopped screaming. So, what ever you are doing to adjust psi be patient as it might not respond immediately.

Did I mention these are total PITA??????

OP
OP
M

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the tire gauge is ok, it shows all tires at 36psi exce p t the left front which is 35......ill check it again this morning on my way to work

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the tire gauge is ok, it shows all tires at 36psi exce p t the left front which is 35......ill check it again this morning on my way to work

Well, that's why the light is on if they are supposed to be at 39 psi.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So its looking like the threshold for the light to come on is 4 psi as mine were at 36 and I had no light...

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So its looking like the threshold for the light to come on is 4 psi as mine were at 36 and I had no light...

It is supposed to be 7psi for the low pressure threshold. But if a tire goes below that, it needs to be taken back to spec or above to clear the low tire warning.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It is supposed to be 7psi for the low pressure threshold. But if a tire goes below that, it needs to be taken back to spec or above to clear the low tire warning.

This is what I ran into but will add that it needs to be back at/above for some time before the light goes off. Mine to around 3-4 engine starts/stops and maybe 50 miles. I called the dealer and they conceded the things have a mind of their own and take some time to stop screaming at you once they've been satisfied. Kind of like a wife, I suppose :)

OP
OP
M

monkers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, last night I adjusted the psi to 40psi, then today after work, the light finally went off, not because of the 40psi, I dont think, but because I had driven about 25 miles since it came on. Thanks everyone for your help