TPMS question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I found some 17 inch rims and tires. Truck is a 2016 Sport. I'm taking the 20's off for the winter. I don't want the winter to ruin them. I found a guy that had some 265/70R17 on his 2010 Ram so I'm assuming these will fit mine. I hope!

There are no TPMS modules in these 17 inch rims. Something I should worry about? What will the truck do? If I get decide to get the modules where is a good source? Does the truck automatically sense them? For my GMC I had to buy a $80 tool just to rotate the tires.

Sorry for all the questions! Hope someone has some answers!

Thanks!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you don't put the sensors in the wheels the dang system will be constantly be chiming at you and sending low tire pressure warning messages. That and the low tpms warning will pop up on the dash.

The 265/70r17's will work fine.

I'd look for some Dorman TPMS sensors for a 2014-2016 Ram truck. You won't need a special tool and the tpms transponder on the truck should recognize the right frequency sensors pretty quickly. In some cases it happens almost automatically, in others a bit of driving is needed.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my new wheels and tires sent with new tpms and it was immediate that the truck recognized the new ones. Pleasant surprise.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Eventually after driving around long enough with no sensors the system goes into Winter mode, and will stop displaying any tire pressure warnings.

Also if you decide on aftermarket sensors, make sure they are comparable with your model year. In the past 5 years there has been a lot of changes to the sensors, and they're not all comparable with each other.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Eventually after driving around long enough with no sensors the system goes into Winter mode, and will stop displaying any tire pressure warnings.

Also if you decide on aftermarket sensors, make sure they are comparable with your model year. In the past 5 years there has been a lot of changes to the sensors, and they're not all comparable with each other.

how long is "long enough"? i'd love to pull those annoying things out, drove for like a month last winter with it driving me nuts

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
If you have something to cover them with (assuming no tonneau cover), you could just throw the 20s with sensors in the bed and use them as some extra weight for traction. They will be close enough that the sensors will be read, and no warnings or errors.

OP
OP
S

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found some OEM sensors on EBAY for $50.00. Set of 4. What sucks is the tires I'm going to look at don't have them so I'll have to pay to get them installed and mounted and balanced. I know its not a lot but....it adds up!

They guy I'm buying them from said he had a 2010 and just used to silence the alarm every time he got in the truck.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I found some OEM sensors on EBAY for $50.00. Set of 4. What sucks is the tires I'm going to look at don't have them so I'll have to pay to get them installed and mounted and balanced. I know its not a lot but....it adds up!

They guy I'm buying them from said he had a 2010 and just used to silence the alarm every time he got in the truck.

you shouldnt have to dismount the tire to install these tpms. just break the bead and use a prybar to get access to the valve stem. you could do it yourself if you wanted to.

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't put the sensors in the wheels the dang system will be constantly be chiming at you and sending low tire pressure warning messages. That and the low tpms warning will pop up on the dash.

The 265/70r17's will work fine.

I'd look for some Dorman TPMS sensors for a 2014-2016 Ram truck. You won't need a special tool and the tpms transponder on the truck should recognize the right frequency sensors pretty quickly. In some cases it happens almost automatically, in others a bit of driving is needed.

I agree.

When I purchased a new set of wheels and tires for a truck I had I made sure the sensors where there.

It can drive you nuts if you don't have those darn things. :crazy:

OP
OP
S

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great. Thanks for the info. I ordered them.

raff18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019c
Engine
hemi 5.7
i have 17" winter rims without sensors coz I'm cheep lol
i found after about 20 miles the warnings started and soon left also
now when i start the truck it just displays the info screen with no readings at each tire
its kinda annoying but but atleast i don't have any lights on my dash

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
how long is "long enough"? i'd love to pull those annoying things out, drove for like a month last winter with it driving me nuts

Depends on the vehicle and which system your vehicle has. Usually after about 20 miles or so of driving without sensors you'll get a "service tire pressure monitoring system" message. Then the tire light will be on solid. Then the next time you drive the vehicle, the light shouldn't come on.

vanalstinew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Can any one explain why I am getting the following warning? Besides it saying to inflate to 39 psi
image.jpg1_zpsuto3qsfb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can any one explain why I am getting the following warning? Besides it saying to inflate to 39 psi
image.jpg1_zpsuto3qsfb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Explain why you are getting the warning message? I don't get it. Just put air in your tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vanalstinew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I guess my question should have been why are the passenger side tires getting a warning and not the driver side if all are reading the same psi?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I guess my question should have been why are the passenger side tires getting a warning and not the driver side if all are reading the same psi?

I don't have a reason as to why it only shows the 2 tires as red, but I do know that it seems to be normal as all the Chrysler models seem to do the same thing.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi jwheeler,

Just had this happen to me on the driver's side. I checked all my tires and they were all at 40 psi. I just drove about a minute and everything was good again.
Hope the same for you, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

preachp

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
I run no tps, light stays on but no biggie to save 400.00. rims and tires only on 6 months

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It takes some time driving for the TPMS to calibrate as I understand. Or maybe you're a few tenths of a psi in the tires (eg 35.4 and 35.5) in the tires, at which there would be a threshold to trigger the red warning?... Regardless Inflate to a higher psi and drive it. You should be ok.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sled Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run no tps, light stays on but no biggie to save 400.00. rims and tires only on 6 months

Where does the $400.00 come from? The TPMS sensors I got form Ebay were $50.00 for 4 and it cost $12.50 per tire to mount and balance.

Don't think the light would bother me but I read in from others that it makes a constant chiming sound. That would bother me!