TPMS sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PMS1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First truck with TPS. Work construct and always pick stuff up in tires so I get slow leaks. Every 4 or 5 days have to put air in tires. TPS says I need 39 / 40 PSI in tires. Use to run 32 with the Nitto's on old truck. Sorry about the rant. So the question is if I put fix a flat in the tires will it jack anything up? Just trying to not be in the single digit weather...

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ha ha.....had to think for second what you are talking about

TPS = Throttle Position Sensor

TPMS = Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Yes, fix a flat will likely jack it all up.

The 39-40 psi it says is based on the stock tire....what do y have on it now ? I 'm guessing it ain't the nittos you had on your other truck, so the 32 psi you used with them would not apply.

Not sure why you TPMS is saying you need 39-40 psi.....I run mine as low as 30 psi, and have yet to get any warnings or messages at all. Id the truck you are asking about a 2500/3500 ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yup, it's cold and I would hate to have to change a tire in this weather. No idea if the fix a flat would screw up Tpms sensor. Not sure, but maybe dealer can set your system to s lower psi based on your tires.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So in a sense the system is working to protect you in case you lost more pressure than 3-4psi...

Dunno why you find that as a negative

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once mine hit 29 the light comes on and won't go back off until you put in 39 which is what they recommend with stock tires on my truck (16 sport)

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
So in a sense the system is working to protect you in case you lost more pressure than 3-4psi...

Dunno why you find that as a negative

I think its just the way the system works with having the light come on and telling you what tire pressure you haft to run to keep the light off.

I would like to have a small area on the dash that showed the tire pressure for all four tires and that you as the owner could set the low pressure warning light to go off at.

Docpaulo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think its just the way the system works with having the light come on and telling you what tire pressure you haft to run to keep the light off.

I would like to have a small area on the dash that showed the tire pressure for all four tires and that you as the owner could set the low pressure warning light to go off at.

Agreed... with the premium cluster you can display tire pressure but not change it...

while on my mercedes it lets you change your pressure setting as you see fit

OP
OP
P

PMS1969

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I have the Nitto's on my new truck. Had them swap on SRT wheels and tires on new truck. From what I've read you can't change TPMS setting or can they?

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can’t change the TPMS settings. If you put fix o flat in you will short the sensor. You will also deteriorate the lining of your tire since fix I flat has alcohol in it. As a former tech I hated that crap. It messes everything up.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Not sure why you TPMS is saying you need 39-40 psi.....I run mine as low as 30 psi, and have yet to get any warnings or messages at all. Id the truck you are asking about a 2500/3500 ?

I get the errors if a tire goes below 32 psi

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get the errors if a tire goes below 32 psi

I have seen 29 psi on my TPMS, but I didn't drive it at that, I topped it off to 35 before I drove it, but I've never gotten any error or message on my 212 w/20" tires.

I've run from 30 psi up to 50 psi in them...no errors or messages.

Maybe my junk is broke ?? but I kinda like it.

I just went thru my manual, and it doesn't say at what pressure the light comes on, just says 'significantly low'.

It also says in several places NOT to use sealants or balance beads.

And to the OP....read your manual, as there are specific things that have to be done to clear the light, and if not done properly, you could get it once, then put air in, and the light will still activate because the error signal wasn't properly cleared out.

I also found out my truck has a TPMS sensor in the spare tire, but if it is put on as a road tire, and is low, it will NOT give a warning.