Tranny Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramfan96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
96 ram 1500 5.2 4x4 with 46re tranny. wasnt shifting out of first so i replaced the governor solenoid and sensor. shifted great for about 10 mins before the tranny overheated and smoke was billowing out of the dipstick tube. i deleted the check valve in the cooler line then figured out the cooler was clogged. i unclogged the cooler. truck seemed to be fine after that except now it will not shift into overdrive at all and seems to be gear hunting slightly when in second. i dont wanna pull the pan again unless i have to itd be the 4th time... i was thinking of using sea foam tranny fix or lucas transmission fix to see if that helps. any other ideas of what i could have ruined when i overheated it?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Just my op here and that is, she's done start looking for a tranny.

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
If it overheated, it probably started burning the clutches up.
The ex girlfriends Chevy burnt two transmissions before they figured out her cooler was blocked.
Look for a good rebuild guy? Usually local businesses are better than chains

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

rustydagger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with K&N CAI and Diablosport Trinity Tuner
Is there a reason for replace vs rebuild? Just curious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a last ditch effort you can try a band adjustment (still going to have to drop the pan)... But in all honesty the 46re does not fair well against an overheat. Even if you manage to adjust the bands to allow it to shift properly again, the heat burned the bands/frictions enough to warrant a rebuild. Sorry man, noone likes getting bad news :puke:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990