Tranny Limbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timothy Rosenberg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm hoping somebody in this forum might have a bit of advice. My 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 crewcab is a little pissed right now. i'm stranded in a strange land. 10 hours on the interstate and then the transmission popped out of drive into neutral. I pulled over and the only gear that works is park. I first checked the fluid. I'm an ex military mechanic so I'm kinda OCD about all the levels. (this is my first major breakdown) The fluid was great, clean no metal, no burn or foul smell. I had it towed to the tranny repair shop, which called me back and told me i burned up the transmission and that it was one of the new 5 speed ones and the only option was to replace the whole thing for 2500 dollars. I'm not a transmission guy but i think i need to run from here, the trannys i'm finding are as low as $650 on the net. I've never opened up a trans. but I've dropped and replaced over 50. is there really a new trans. for a 2004 truck with no options. I know I'm behind the times and a little old school. Most of my experience in mechanics was before electronic ignition. I like my truck. we have 200,000 miles together. should i trust this guy or get into the towing business?

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm no expert, but just as a thought, if the fluid seems fine, I would think something electrical. Some sort of solenoid perhaps? Seems like he's tryin' to sham you.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Forum. Something seems a little fishy there. I would definitely get a second opinion on the burnt up tranny.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
The title to this thread gave me horrible mental images.

But interesting you had this experience, same thing happened to me in a BMW. I was so sick of that thing giving me problem after problem when I took such good care of it, I ditched it on the side of the freeway and let the bank repossess it. What a money pit. I've learned German PARTS like upgrades are great for whatever vehicle you have. I stand by Bilstein for life. But German CARS are a nightmare

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm by no means a master tech, but I have replaced the trans in my truck twice(have had it out 3 times total) with an extra pair of hands an a trans jack it's not that bad of a job. Especially if you have a 2wd. I spent around 800 last trans total an that included a junkyard trans/ converter/ fluid an filters an also includes a pml deep pan I purchased. Oh an beer, can't forget the beer

OP
OP
T

Timothy Rosenberg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys., I'm blown away. and thank you. for helping me realize that I didn't get mad cow desease and decide to drive my truck from Atlanta to the twilight zone looking for a new 2004 optionless 5 speed transmission. I'm stuck here for a few more hours. or until I can find a truck among all the transmissions strong enough to tow my truck. from here in wonderful Anderson Indiana to Atlanta. I'm glad I don't live here. what we call a stranger in need back home they call a target that has to pay more for everything than everybody else. You guys are really cool for taking a minute of your time sharing with me. this is the first help I've gotten since i got here. and i'm not asking for or need any money.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357