Tranny troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 545rfe in my 98 Hemi swapped 98 ram is acting real funny. It's like it's stuck in 3rd gear no matter what speed I'm doing. I'm also getting codes for different shift solenoids not working.

I have a spare 545 that I swapped the valve body and shift solenoids from and I'm still having the same issues. So I'm thinking that something else must be the problem since what are the odds there both bad right?

I have double and even triple checked the fluid level and its right where it's supposed to be.

Would it be possible that I just need to have a quick learn done by the dealer?

The PCM was brand new and programmed by Chris at Hotwire auto so I'm not sure if the quick learn is needed or would do me any good.

I'm open to any and all suggestions here guys since I'm stumped and just want to drive my damn truck!! Lol

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
It needs the quick learn to know clutch volumes, sounds a little like limp mode meaning it is running in mechanical mode. Read the service manual and see if what the describe sounds right.

OP
OP
98hemi-ram

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I see you already found my thread before I could pm you back :)

And ya from everything I've been reading the past few days its looking like it will just need a quick learn. I got it booked into the dealer for Saturday to get one done on it.

If that doesn't do it then I guess I'll be tearing into the wiring end of things to double check everything is there.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
So this is the initial startup? Your wiring will need to be correct to do the Quick Learn.

OP
OP
98hemi-ram

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes initial startup was about 2 weeks ago now. Motor runs great its just the tranny giving me grief now.

Chris at Hotwire auto is the one that built the wiring harness for me and he emailed me a bunch of wiring diagrams and pinouts so I can double check everything I just have to find the time to go through it all now.

I think the wiring should be good but I'm going to try and get my mechanic buddy over again to help me go through and double check.

Last edited:

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Having the dealer plug in might be a quick way to verify the wiring if you can trust your dealer. Or better yet a trans shop with the proper scanner. Hotwire folks do a lot of retro installs and have their act together. Good Luck..

OP
OP
98hemi-ram

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya I've seen lots of guys out there running hotwire harnesses with no problems so that's why I think it should be good. But if there is a problem hopefully the dealer will be able to help me narrow it down.

I figured the guy at the dealer was going to tell me I was crazy when I told him the year of my truck then the motor it has but he didn't seem to surprised. Lol

As for trusting them I'll soon find out. I'd rather take it to the other dealer near me but they aren't open on Saturdays and that's the only time I can take the truck in and I want to be there when they are working on it incase they have to ask me something about it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Keep in mind that with modified trucks "you" are the only one that knows anything about it. I'm sorry to say the service manager may not know a hemi didn't come in your truck or simply thought you don't know what engine you have. I don't go to dealers without a gun to my head.

OP
OP
98hemi-ram

98hemi-ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha ya me neither I think the only thing I've ever had any dealer do was a ball joint on my old Dakota when I didn't have the time. I'm pretty sure I know 10x more about these trucks and motors then any of the service or parts guys at the dealers here.

I had to explain to one of the parts guys five times that my VIN number was not going to help him find the parts I was looking for lol.