Trans. Filter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So I'm going to be changing the trans. fluid in my dad's truck sometime this spring/summer and was looking at filters. There are 3 different filters for the 45RFE: two pan filters, one for a deep and one for a shallow pan and a spin on filter. Looks like the "flat" filters are correct, but which one? Are there different pan depths for the towing vs. non-towing package trucks that I didn't know about?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The deep filter kit is for the 4wd and shallow is for 2wd. I used the wix kit and changed all 17 or 18 quarts of oil. You can do a DIY flush by removing the oil return line and pumping the old fluid out. Once it starts spitting, pull the pan and change filters. Replace pan and fill 7 quarts of new fluid. Then start the truck and keep pumping the old oil out while adding new oil through the dip stick. Do that until you've used up all 17 quarts. Then check your levels and top off if needed.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense actually. I don't like messing with cooler lines so I'll just be changing the pan and filter. Thank you!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500