Trans. Temp Gauge install kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I'd like to install a trans. temp gauge this spring or summer and I'd like to know who all has one and how they mounted it. I really would rather not use a test port in my trans case or hack up a hardline. I've seen where guys have spliced into the rubber cooler line and it's worked just fine but I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what kit they used.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to install a trans. temp gauge this spring or summer and I'd like to know who all has one and how they mounted it. I really would rather not use a test port in my trans case or hack up a hardline. I've seen where guys have spliced into the rubber cooler line and it's worked just fine but I'm wondering if anyone has done this and what kit they used.

Hmmm i wouldn't personally put it on a cooler line as soon as the fluid leaves the transmission its going to cool down when its cold out or raining i could see maybe up to a 10* difference. Just my opinion, i would want to measure temp in the transmission. Good luck. Edit: just was thinking is the only rubber up front in the engine compartment? If theres any back coming right out of the tranny that wouldn't worry me personally. But if im going to go through the trouble of doing this I would want to know what temp the transmission is not the fluid 5 feet later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hmmm i wouldn't personally put it on a cooler line as soon as the fluid leaves the transmission its going to cool down when its cold out or raining i could see maybe up to a 10* difference. Just my opinion, i would want to measure temp in the transmission. Good luck. Edit: just was thinking is the only rubber up front in the engine compartment? If theres any back coming right out of the tranny that wouldn't worry me personally. But if im going to go through the trouble of doing this I would want to know what temp the transmission is not the fluid 5 feet later.

You measure it coming off the cold side line going into the trans, not in the pan. It's always hotter in the pan and as a result it will make you think your trans is warmer than it needs to be. Plenty of guys have run it the way I've described with no issues which is why I'm asking for a kit that will allow me to run it that way.

I merely don't feel like piecing something together like I always have to do...but I will if I have to I guess. :roflsquared:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I think I saw a write up (the other forum that I dare not mention) where they welded a **** in the pan and had the reading come from there. That's what I planned on doing once I eventually do mine.

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
lol okay so you did my homework for me on that one. :laughing1:

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I recently installed a digital temp gauge in my friends ram and spliced the signal return to the factory temp sensor, used a column mount for the guage. Seems to be fairly accurate when compared to pan/case temp with an IR gun. If you want the link to the guage we used let me know

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I recently installed a digital temp gauge in my friends ram and spliced the signal return to the factory temp sensor, used a column mount for the guage. Seems to be fairly accurate when compared to pan/case temp with an IR gun. If you want the link to the guage we used let me know

Link and pictures please. lol

He have a 2g?

OP
OP
dodge dude94

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Nah, I can find the column pods. More info would be nice tho. :D

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Basically we hooked up the guage to a battery and found what pin was voltage to sensor (5v). Then hooked the other wire to the TFT signal return wire. Most thermistors have the same or similar values at a given temp so we rolled the dice and it worked.