transmission crapped out. need some help figuring this out.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
last night i was driving when the check engine light came on. after that it started shifting rough from 1-2. pulled the code and it is a p0700. malfunction from TCU. no other codes follow. This morning I went to investigate and when the truck is sitting still the pedal does nothing at all. just drops the rpm and doesnt move. now it still has the hill assist so it will roll just on the idle and as soon as it gets about 3mph i can hit the gas and itll react to the pedal. drove around the neighborhood to warm the trans up and it still acting up. though the rough shifting has gone away.

so far I took the tune off, and right now the battery is disconnected. only other plan is to change the fluid and filters. anyone have any other ideas? from what i read online usually there will be a secondary CEL code to tell you what the issue is but this one does not. does that mean my TCU is bad?

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
last night i was driving when the check engine light came on. after that it started shifting rough from 1-2. pulled the code and it is a p0700. malfunction from TCU. no other codes follow. This morning I went to investigate and when the truck is sitting still the pedal does nothing at all. just drops the rpm and doesnt move. now it still has the hill assist so it will roll just on the idle and as soon as it gets about 3mph i can hit the gas and itll react to the pedal. drove around the neighborhood to warm the trans up and it still acting up. though the rough shifting has gone away.

so far I took the tune off, and right now the battery is disconnected. only other plan is to change the fluid and filters. anyone have any other ideas? from what i read online usually there will be a secondary CEL code to tell you what the issue is but this one does not. does that mean my TCU is bad?
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0700

Try giving this a glance over lol

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You don't have a separate TCM, your PCM/TCM is all one unit. What did you use to pull the code?

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You don't have a separate TCM, your PCM/TCM is all one unit. What did you use to pull the code?

used my diablo predator, my aeroforce guage, and the key trick.

i just went outside, pulled off my line booster and found that one of the wires was loose. as soon as i pulled on the wire it came out. removed it, put the battery back on and drove just fine. Reinstalled tune and it continued to drive fine.

Could the bad wire on the line booster do this?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes, line booster is designed to raise line pressure...if a wire was loose it gets intermittent or no signal at all.

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, line booster is designed to raise line pressure...if a wire was loose it gets intermittent or no signal at all.

sweet. well hopfully that was the issue... i rarely drive it so itll be a while till i can definitely say

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well the issue came back on my way to work.

This time i was on the highway so i was able to play around with it to get more information.

Went to accelerate while the trans was in OD got a shutter and clunk when it went out of OD. After that is would not go into OD. Got it up to 65 and rpms were at 3k and didnt want to down shift. 1-2 there is a shutter aswell. The rpms raises but the trans doesnt catch for a second.

CEL came on again for P0700. Same issues in the first post are still there. Anyone have any ideas where i should start?

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So i did a little research and found it could be a bad solenoid. Think im gonna start there along side with replacing the fluid and filters and see where that leads me.

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
today i replaced the filters, fluid, and both output sensors on the transmission.

Still acting up. I was able to get a scanner that reads everything. I am throwing codes P0715 input speed sensor circuit.
P0733 3rd gear ratio incorrect
P0734 3th gear ration incorrect

any ideas? really need help on this.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I read something about replacing the input speed sensor, might be worth a shot...

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I read something about replacing the input speed sensor, might be worth a shot...

funny thing about that. I read that too. there is no input speed sensor for my transmission. but there are 2 outputs. but im assuming that one of the outputs is used as the input. Dealership doesnt have it in the system and nothing online sells input speed sensors for my truck...

Lynaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem with the P0700 code. I went with a new crate transmission and after that was installed I was getting the same code again. Tranny shop scanned it again and said that it was a Pressure Sensor Switch B. They ordered a new solenoid pack that should be here tomorrow. Maybe it's something similar with yours?

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
try the shift solenoid pack. Its on the valve body. Drop pan, drop valve body, swap out solenoid pack, install valve body, install pan, refill trans, good to go. At least thats what it took to repair similar issues on my sister 07 Durango with the hemi.

OP
OP
05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
try the shift solenoid pack. Its on the valve body. Drop pan, drop valve body, swap out solenoid pack, install valve body, install pan, refill trans, good to go. At least thats what it took to repair similar issues on my sister 07 Durango with the hemi.

that was gonna be my next step. should have just done it when i had the pan down... oh well, gotta try and save the transfluid. replaced a few more sensors since monday, think if its not the shift packs probably gonna look for a new trans. been looking at the SharaDon stage 2 trans.

Thanks for the input!