Transmission filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey fellas I’ve got a 2014 ram 1500 w 8hp70 trans, I’ve put on a B&M aluminum deep pan on it and I can’t find a part number for a replacement filter for it, any help is much appreciated

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey fellas I’ve got a 2014 ram 1500 w 8hp70 trans, I’ve put on a B&M aluminum deep pan on it and I can’t find a part number for a replacement filter for it, any help is much appreciated
Contact B&M ,they should have them in stock,or point you to one that'll work with their pan

OP
OP
R

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Can’t find contact number for b&m and their websites are down, talked w Holley and summit and they both gave me the wix filter kit 58843 which is the one I got from auto one that definitely does not fit the b&m deep pan, I can clearly see the filter on their website it’s oval with one end flat, unfortunately b&m doesn’t list a part numbers, I can’t be the only guy to buy a b&m deep pan and need to only order fresh filters…

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can’t find contact number for b&m and their websites are down, talked w Holley and summit and they both gave me the wix filter kit 58843 which is the one I got from auto one that definitely does not fit the b&m deep pan, I can clearly see the filter on their website it’s oval with one end flat, unfortunately b&m doesn’t list a part numbers, I can’t be the only guy to buy a b&m deep pan and need to only order fresh filters…
The part number is 1601026 for the B&M deep pan filter. It’s #2 on the list of parts per the install instructions. Good luck finding it though. I searched for about 10 minutes and came up with nothing. Item not found on the Holley and Flowmaster websites.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
B&M technical support number
866-464-6553

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oof. Sucks that it's difficult to source their parts and info.

Thankfully I kept the instructions from my PPE 8hp pan that had the part number and they have lots of vendors that carry it.

OP
OP
R

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thank y’all for the info, I was able to get ahold of holley and they found the filters come from transstar part #A78010A
anyone needing a fresh filter can call Holley to order with that transstar part# or the b&m part #1601026
the filter was 7$ but you have to call if ordering from Holley as those part #’s won’t pull anything up on their site
once again thanks for the help fellas

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya know what goes really well with a PPE pan?

A little brass bypass valve ;)
Ohh yeah? Hmm, seems I've heard of such a thing.

Thank y’all for the info, I was able to get ahold of holley and they found the filters come from transstar part #A78010A
anyone needing a fresh filter can call Holley to order with that transstar part# or the b&m part #1601026
the filter was 7$ but you have to call if ordering from Holley as those part #’s won’t pull anything up on their site

Nice, glad you got it. Quick google shows that it's the filter used in a whole bunch of 'old' Mercedes trans that also saw service in Mopar land before the 8HP. NAG1/WA580 to be exact.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Where did you buy from? I just got a B&M deep pan for the 8spd and called them about getting a replacement so I had one on hand and holley or summit couldn't find anything. I looked quick online and found one place on ebay for $32 for the transtar filter. Where did you get it?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Found an eBay seller selling the filters for $2 shipped each. They are transtar brand and I got two for $4 and they match the one that came with B&m.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is exacly the reason that I chose PPE over the B&M pan. I posted the same question when I was doing my pre-purchase research. I liked the idea of the B&M pan though.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
This is exacly the reason that I chose PPE over the B&M pan. I posted the same question when I was doing my pre-purchase research. I liked the idea of the B&M pan though.
What’s nice about the b&m pan is the filter isn’t attached to the pan so install is easier. The filter itself is a OEM part for a 96+ Mercedes so you can get replacements anywhere so good luck doing that in 5 years if PPE pan company goes under.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I also have been thinking If transmission fill level is really as big a deal on the high capacity pans. If you think 2-4 extra quarts means you could be that far off and still have enough fluid to run the trans as normal. Makes me feel less worried about getting the perfect fill level.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I also have been thinking If transmission fill level is really as big a deal on the high capacity pans. If you think 2-4 extra quarts means you could be that far off and still have enough fluid to run the trans as normal. Makes me feel less worried about getting the perfect fill level.
Does the B&M pan setup use a pickup tube extension? If it does I bought the wrong pan lol
On the PPE pan the filter and pickup tube is OEM height so fill level is still important.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What’s nice about the b&m pan is the filter isn’t attached to the pan so install is easier. The filter itself is a OEM part for a 96+ Mercedes so you can get replacements anywhere so good luck doing that in 5 years if PPE pan company goes under.
If B&M machined a groove in the flange so you could use the stock o-ring gasket,it'd be an ideal upgrade, the only downside to them is their cork gasket

OP
OP
R

Raminit2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Atcer2018 yes the b&m uses a pickup tube ext.
id still follow the refill instructions to the letter, especially the part where you rev and hold at 2k rpm to fill the torque converter, ruining a $5k+ trans from low fluid doesn’t sound ideal lol

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Does the B&M pan setup use a pickup tube extension? If it does I bought the wrong pan lol
On the PPE pan the filter and pickup tube is OEM height so fill level is still important.
Yes it does. Since the filter sits lower you can’t really mess it up bc you have extra 4qts sitting over the filter inlet. That’s why I’m saying I don’t think the fill level is as important on a deep pan as the inlet should be at the bottom.