Transmission filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
If B&M machined a groove in the flange so you could use the stock o-ring gasket,it'd be an ideal upgrade, the only downside to them is their cork gasket
This is true! I looked online to see if I could fine a rubber style gasket like the cork but no luck. I have never used a grooved style trans pan gasket before but I’m used to these older style gaskets.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is true! I looked online to see if I could fine a rubber style gasket like the cork but no luck. I have never used a grooved style trans pan gasket before but I’m used to these older style gaskets.
I would of thought Lube Locker might have a gasket to fit

I'd be tempted to make my own gasket out of this material instead of cork.

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it does. Since the filter sits lower you can’t really mess it up bc you have extra 4qts sitting over the filter inlet. That’s why I’m saying I don’t think the fill level is as important on a deep pan as the inlet should be at the bottom.
That right there is a definite plus for the B&M pan. Better durability and less BS with the factory fill procedure. The PPE pan only provides the durability aspect but it’s already on my truck so live and learn.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That right there is a definite plus for the B&M pan. Better durability and less BS with the factory fill procedure. The PPE pan only provides the durability aspect but it’s already on my truck so live and learn.
The PPE pan holds another 2 quarts of fluid over the stock pan. I'm kind of curious on how low the B&M pan hangs.

Click on the details link,for the 2 quarts extra capacity

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Rock auto lists the OE pan for the 8HP70 at $279. Might as well get the PPE on my next go-round, only $60 more.

When I did my 100k mile service 3 years ago, the OE pan only cost me $170 at RA.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The PPE pan holds another 2 quarts of fluid over the stock pan. I'm kind of curious on how low the B&M pan hangs.
Thanks Wild, interesting read. I didn’t notice any deeper reach into the pan with the PPE. Possible that the filter unit goes down deeper than stock. I assumed it was the same as OE because it fit right up to the pickup tube without any extension.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it's just me, but the proper fill level is well above the pan / transmission flange. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but another 6" of fluid hanging below the present pan depth wouldn't matter if other components, like the valve body and solenoids, need the higher level.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Maybe it's just me, but the proper fill level is well above the pan / transmission flange. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but another 6" of fluid hanging below the present pan depth wouldn't matter if other components, like the valve body and solenoids, need the higher level.
I’m not sure if the valve body is submerged or not while running. Makes sense from a lubrication aspect but then I would have to assume the valves being moved in a fluid (fighting the fluid) to move is probably undesirable. I would assume the valves are lubed by the pump and fluid being pushed through the valve body in the circuits vs being submerged. When I’ve checked the levels on 700r4 or 2004r the pan dipstick sticks through the case and far enough into the pan cavity that the valve body was exposed while running. I could very well be wrong.

Edit- if it was submerged that also means any contaminants from the trans running (friction material, metal etc) would be floating around in the fluid which could get caught up in the valves in the valve body openings. Just thinking out loud.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m not sure if the valve body is submerged or not while running. Makes sense from a lubrication aspect but then I would have to assume the valves being moved in a fluid (fighting the fluid) to move is probably undesirable. I would assume the valves are lubed by the pump and fluid being pushed through the valve body in the circuits vs being submerged. When I’ve checked the levels on 700r4 or 2004r the pan dipstick sticks through the case and far enough into the pan cavity that the valve body was exposed while running. I could very well be wrong.

Edit- if it was submerged that also means any contaminants from the trans running (friction material, metal etc) would be floating around in the fluid which could get caught up in the valves in the valve body openings. Just thinking out loud.
The fill plug is well above the pan rail and by my looking at things is also above about 90% of the valve body.