Transmission problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamminRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have a 01 1500 4x4 with the 5.9L and 46re trans. The trans is slipping really bad. Barely moves in reverse and it takes 2 country miles to get to 30mph in drive. Im pulling a p1763 governer solenoid code from the computer. Could this be the problem? If not what should i look for to determine if its the torque converter or the clutch baskets slipping? Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
C

CamminRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Also the fluid is up to the corrext level and looks and smells good. Im going to drop the pan today to inspect

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The governor pressure solenoid is a common fail item. If I were you I would drop the pan, swap out both the governor pressure solenoid and sensor, do a band adjustment (one inside pan, one on outside of bell housing), install a new filter, pan gasket, and fluid. If you caught the problem soon enough this should correct the problem. Check these forums for the how-to for these procedures, all fairly easy.

OP
OP
C

CamminRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
So that solenoid or sensor could make it slip? Everything i have read related to incorrect shifts

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A clogged solenoid can restrict fluid flow which can cause added heat and lower friction to your clutches and bands causing the transmission to slip.