Transmission question about an 8speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ModestoRebel209

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemin5.7
I have A 16 Rebel I just purchased and I noticed when I wake up to go to work I put the truck on drive and the very first gear change revs up higher than normal but after that it seems fine, even if I’m at a light and accelerate the problem goes away. It seems to happen when the truck sits for a while and I drive off again. Any one know what’s up?

tfeni52355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, Air Suspension
I have A 16 Rebel I just purchased and I noticed when I wake up to go to work I put the truck on drive and the very first gear change revs up higher than normal but after that it seems fine, even if I’m at a light and accelerate the problem goes away. It seems to happen when the truck sits for a while and I drive off again. Any one know what’s up?

It’s pretty common that the “first shift” in the morning with the 8HP70 tranny is a little rough and then all is well. I usually take it very slow out of my driveway and kind of coast into second gear. Then after that, as you have seen the shifts are smooth.

Do you know if your trans has been serviced? Fluid and filter changed? ZF ( the maker of the trans) not Chrysler recommends a fluid and filter change at around 60K miles. Lots of info on this forum about trans service. It can run as much as $800-$1000 at a dealer. You can do it yourself for $200-$300.

Good luck with your Rebel. If I didn’t have a Longhorn, the Rebel would be the truck I’d be driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My truck has done this quite a bit and I only have 30k miles on it. It seems to be worse if I park in a steep driveway but it is less frequent if you let the truck warm up first. If you learn when your truck is about to shift you can let off the gas and let it coast into second and it is a lot smoother like tfeni said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca