Tried adding Hot Shots. Now stuck with a hose sticking out of my fuel tank <sigh>

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have 2 foot long screwdrivers, i used the Phillips one to open the flaps to get a hose out.

I would guess that a metal rod would do the same thing.
Home depot has a bin of metal rods that are 3 feet long, that would be cheaper than a screw driver

I have some pix that may show you what you are fighting

2dYRhC.jpg

1VzNlr.jpg

VzAEJA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paustin

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
take an empty plastic two liter bottle of soda or water. Cut the top and bottom off with a razor so only the smooth center piece remains...Work the thin but rigid plastic down the fuel fill neck around the stuck hose. The plastic shim will keep the trap door from digging into your funnel hose so you can pull it out. Once it’s out the shim will collapse but it’s thin and flexible enough to not get stuck in the trap door.
No joy. Since the stuck hose is fairly small and very flexible, I *can* stick a normal diesel hose in. But the trap door is stuck. I think that I must have jammed it when I tried to pull out the stuck hose. I guess it is hammering time. <sigh> I was hoping that there was some kind of a trick.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I tried that without success. I added a picture. Is what you see the "trap door" you reference? I can easily get a screwdriver under it, but is seems very solidly stuck. Neither trying to swing it out of the way, nor tapping on that bump/extrusion did anything.
There is two of those flaps in the filler neck. You should be able to stick a long screwdriver to push both those flaps open, you may need to push the hose in slightly at the same time.
A picture of the second flap with the first pushed out of the way. They have a decent spring holding them closed.IMG_20221224_114158927-01.jpeg

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Whuff. That seems like an absolute crap-ton of work for something so dumb-assedly simple. And, yeah, getting down to 10 degrees, and I am in Austin, TX in an RV with my plumbing frozen solid. My workload is pretty full for this kind of self-induced foolishness. I added a picture to my original post. Can you take a look and see if you might have another suggestion?
I don't have much of a suggestion for the truck but the rv I do. I live in northern Canada and use my trailer for work now but was living in it for a winter. - 60 is not uncommon here. I bought 12v self regulating heat trace and did all my main lines, did heated tank pads and never had an issue in those temperatures. 12v helps me when I'm on work sites and don't have power.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yep, it’s there’s. Part # 68415416AA
Even though the truck is supposed to come with one, lots of them disappear before delivery.
Can pick up a long neck funnel at the auto parts store cheaper

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Isn’t there a funnel under the passenger seat with the jack to add fluid to the fuel and in the event of emergencies.

Yep, it’s there’s. Part # 68415416AA

Why didn’t you use it?
YUP

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even though the truck is supposed to come with one, lots of them disappear before delivery.
Can pick up a long neck funnel at the auto parts store cheaper
I used a big neck, long skinny Transfluid funnel when I added like Diesel Kleen to my ED. Op, if U cannot get something down there to hold the Flaps open, and U may have to push the hose down a lil to get the second unjammed, U gonna have to take the Filler Neck Apart.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whuff. That seems like an absolute crap-ton of work for something so dumb-assedly simple. And, yeah, getting down to 10 degrees, and I am in Austin, TX in an RV with my plumbing frozen solid. My workload is pretty full for this kind of self-induced foolishness. I added a picture to my original post. Can you take a look and see if you might have another suggestion?
OP, U in Austin, got a bazillion mechanic shops, if U cannot reasonably get it out, cover the entire opening, and get it to someone who can disconnect the filler neck and solve your unique situation, then used supplied funnel or long skinny trans funnel for future endeavors.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
IF, i decide to remove the hose that connects to the filler tube.

The easiest way is to remove the drivers side rear tire & inner fender cover, but in the weather you are having, who would want to do anything at all out doors

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you find HARD tubing that will slip OVER the hose? You should then be able to remove the hose and tubing together.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
They do that so nobody can steal your fuel skinny smooth steel rod might work

Chasgoi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Try using the funnel provuded with the truck. Should be with the jack. Slide it around the hose and it should open the traps and allow you to remove your hose.

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
like you, I discovered simply pushing open the trap door didn’t let me pour treatment in without it making a mess. There’s apparently some sort of second barrier under the trap door.
I found a long neck narrow funnel that gets down into the filler neck enough for adding the treatment with out dribbling.

From your description, I think trying to pull the flexible hose up and out has jammed the trap door and whatever is just below it.
Maybe try pushing the hose down into the neck and poke a wire hanger down to clear the jam.

grumpyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
try pushing on the hose while pushing on the flap at the same time , if you get the flap open the whole way with the screwdrive then you might be able to pull the hose out , the metal flap probably has a nick in the hose and is keeping the flap from going open so pushing the hose while pushing the flap may get it un stuck

grumbolt

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997, 2019
Engine
318, 6.7 cummins
the trap door in the picture seems to be jammed by the hose. if you press against it with a screwdriver on the side that the hose is going in, it should swing in like a trap door. if it doesnt, you may have to persuade it with some percussive maintenance (put the screwdriver against the trap door and hit the end with your hand) this piece pushes inward when you put the nozzle in the filler neck. the above is assuming the picture where the hose is pinched is that door you are talking about not being able to move.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i am on a job & running low on Diesel
I transfer fuel using a

Self-Priming Shaker Style Siphon Pump​

IMG_5639.jpg

It is fairly stiff plastic hose
I have used one of these since 2004 & i think only once, it was caught for a bit.

A Harbor Freight look a like hose is too soft & flexes too much