Trouble deciding between Express and Big Horn, would love opinionsopinions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghamden

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are major quality differences in the express and a big horn.

My 2015 express long story short was a lemon ... dealer arranged a buy back..
I bought a 2015 outdoorsman world of difference on the quality of materials used in both trucks .. fit and finish major difference .. the ride quality ...

Before you buy park them side by side and compare the differences in quality.

To me hind sight says the express is an over priced cheap truck.

The outdoorsman was 8000.00 more but you can actually see the why....

Just my opinion....

I am very well pleased with outdoorsman and now with all the rebates on the higher end trucks you get a better buy.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tons of good comments on both sides of the debate.

''Currently in the market for my first truck",,,,

If you've never had a truck before,, eh,, well, all I can say is they are a very handy thing to have!! :)

On one hand, if you never plan to use it for more than a 'little yard work' and 'occasional camping',, eh, just about any good old used truck would be more than adequate.

On the other hand, if this will be one of your 'Daily Drivers', the creature comforts of the BigHorn would definitely have more ~everyday personal value~.

At the end of the day, we can all say what WE would prefer, but you're the one who has to make the call,,,

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are major quality differences in the express and a big horn.

My 2015 express long story short was a lemon ... dealer arranged a buy back..
I bought a 2015 outdoorsman world of difference on the quality of materials used in both trucks .. fit and finish major difference .. the ride quality ...

Before you buy park them side by side and compare the differences in quality.

To me hind sight says the express is an over priced cheap truck.

The outdoorsman was 8000.00 more but you can actually see the why....

Just my opinion....

I am very well pleased with outdoorsman and now with all the rebates on the higher end trucks you get a better buy.

All of the trucks are built on the same frame with the same components and the same engine and same body. Exterior fit and finish has nothing to do with trim level. I have seen posts by guys with Laramies that have unpainted and misaligned panels just like your old Express. There are Lemons in every trim level. Chrysler doesnt have a separate assembly line for Outdoorsman or any other trimed truck. I belive the outdoorsman has heavy duty shocks skid plates and a higher ride hight but still retains sll of the basic components as any other Ram 4x4. I will give you the higher trims have nicer interiors but it stops there. .

Last edited:

bigfoot2219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love my blackout express. It was 4x4, had 5 inch touch with hands free talk, 8 speed trans with 3.92 the hemi and back up cam era. Mine came with katzkin leather. I also got a killer deal, $11,000 off msrp on an express. If i had to do it again I would get the sport. That is what i intended to get but my dealer made my truck hard for me to pass up; and after almost a year in it I absolutely love it. The express is a good entey level truck, i think the big horn is where the goodies and amentities start to show up. Either way rest assured you cannot go wrong with these 4th gen rams; from an ex GM owner.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I couldn't do the chrome so i vote Express!

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to everyone for the replies, love all the advice everyone gave.

A few months ago I test drove the express and loved the feel of the truck. Last night weekend I test drove a 2.7L F-150 and really liked the feel of that but last night I got my hands on a Big Horn and it feels night and day.

I'm not a huge fan of chrome but the way it looked with the Blue Streak made me fall in love instantly. Hearing the rumble of the truck using the remote start while walking to the truck, the feel of the leather steering wheel and seeing this big ass navigation screen with tons of info on it really sold me.

This will be a daily driver, and after seeing everything I think I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Big Horn.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi I think the SLT - Big Horn package on comes with the 44-44 transfer case (4 auto). Based on your original post it seems like you may not need the 44-45 transfer case, but I figured I would throw it out there. Good luck!!

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Fyi I think the SLT - Big Horn package on comes with the 44-44 transfer case (4 auto). Based on your original post it seems like you may not need the 44-45 transfer case, but I figured I would throw it out there. Good luck!!

I just read his post again and can't figure out why he would need or not need the auto 4wd . From his original post. Sounds like a non issue, he made a good decision on picking the big horn.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

My 44-44 works great! Love not dealing with any transfer case binding while maneuvering in tight spaces off-road! :favorites13:

OP, consider cooled seats if you haven't done so already. With remote start, or regular start, the driver seat auto-on's above 80 degrees, which I'd imagine in southern Cal, would be an appreciated feature. Fold down rear seats are clutch for dogs.

Consider Rambox too. Unless you're going to regularly haul things that need the few extra inches of bed width, Rambox is probably the best option these trucks come with, IMO. Still plenty of bed space for truck specific things, and the convenience of smaller "trunks" for things you dont want flying around inside the cab, or in the bed. I use mine every day. I keep spare tools, motor oil, washer fluid, ect. in one of them, and use the other like a trunk - work bag, groceries, ect.

I've experienced so far that some bigger things I've needed to move, wouldn't have fit in a standard bed anyways. So I just grab whatever trailer I need from Uhaul for $20 and carry on.

Some people on here will hate on the rambox, but for me, and what I use my truck for, I'd regret not having them.

I'm not hating on the Express, it definitely serves a huge functional purpose in the Ram lineup - especially for people that need the 44-45 t-case. And they're significantly lighter. But based on your first post, it seems like you'd really enjoy some additional factory lux options with your family.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
My father has a texas edition SLT 2015 2500 6.7 and I have an express 2014 1500.

These are the things he has I wish I had:

The instrument cluster (a difficult upgrade to do on the express because you have to find one and then it also has to be near and above your current mileage)

The 8.4 Touch screen

The bluetooth features

Things I like about my express:

Color matched front and rear end, gives it a cool kinda sporty look i guess

Still have EVIC

My 3 cupholders up front

and the price, I got a great deal on mine

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Big horn has a better interior, for instance you can get a base bighorn with 8.4uconnect and get the permium cluster, and it comes with better door cards and seats, so it dosnt look cheap af inside, you get lay flat floor and LED's as well.. but god I had chrome bumpers, grills, and door handles. on these trucks.

a "loaded" express will have none of that

Id just get a stripped sport cause i hate chrome lol

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to everyone for the replies, love all the advice everyone gave.

A few months ago I test drove the express and loved the feel of the truck. Last night weekend I test drove a 2.7L F-150 and really liked the feel of that but last night I got my hands on a Big Horn and it feels night and day.

I'm not a huge fan of chrome but the way it looked with the Blue Streak made me fall in love instantly. Hearing the rumble of the truck using the remote start while walking to the truck, the feel of the leather steering wheel and seeing this big ass navigation screen with tons of info on it really sold me.

This will be a daily driver, and after seeing everything I think I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Big Horn.[/QUOTE

Congratulations I think.you made a wise choice....now you get to hear everyone tell you what options to get lol....Even though I bought an Express I made sure I got all of the mechanical options. I got the 4x4 with 3:92 gears with LSD (Anti Spin Differential) 32 gal fuel tank and the 8 speed transmission. You truck will come with the 8 speed standard but I highly recomend the 3:92 gears a 50.00 option and the LSD a 325.00 option. The truck performs much better with the 3:92's and the antispin differential is nice for off road or bad traction situations....just my two cents. Two other points. Alot of people are posting that they got there Bighorn or Outdoorsman trucks for around the same price as an Express. This is not totally accurate. We aren't walking into the dealer and paying sticker price for our Express trucks. I got around 11k of the sticker price in my Quad Cab 4x4. I also have the factory remote start(Installed by Dealer) and I love it. I just leave my climate settings where I want them and they automatically turn on when I hit the remote start.....good luck on your purchase.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My father has a texas edition SLT 2015 2500 6.7 and I have an express 2014 1500.

These are the things he has I wish I had:

The instrument cluster (a difficult upgrade to do on the express because you have to find one and then it also has to be near and above your current mileage)

The 8.4 Touch screen

The bluetooth features

Things I like about my express:

Color matched front and rear end, gives it a cool kinda sporty look i guess

Still have EVIC

My 3 cupholders up front

and the price, I got a great deal on mine

You can add all of that to your Express quite easily. I have the 8.4 with Nav and blue tooth all plug and play. and the 8.4 bezel as well as the premium cluster. The clusters are getting easier to find if you check Car-Part.com they usually have a few. There are several places that will adjust your mileage if you can't find one that's close.

OP
OP
J

JaviJ01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congratulations I think.you made a wise choice....now you get to hear everyone tell you what options to get lol....Even though I bought an Express I made sure I got all of the mechanical options. I got the 4x4 with 3:92 gears with LSD (Anti Spin Differential) 32 gal fuel tank and the 8 speed transmission. You truck will come with the 8 speed standard but I highly recomend the 3:92 gears a 50.00 option and the LSD a 325.00 option. The truck performs much better with the 3:92's and the antispin differential is nice for off road or bad traction situations....just my two cents. Two other points. Alot of people are posting that they got there Bighorn or Outdoorsman trucks for around the same price as an Express. This is not totally accurate. We aren't walking into the dealer and paying sticker price for our Express trucks. I got around 11k of the sticker price in my Quad Cab 4x4. I also have the factory remote start(Installed by Dealer) and I love it. I just leave my climate settings where I want them and they automatically turn on when I hit the remote start.....good luck on your purchase.

Thanks for the advice. I'm more than likely going with a 2015 because of the rebates so I won't be building my own truck. I'm looking at Dennis Dillon more than likely and the LSD, big gas tank and 3.92s, along with the remote start are all at the top of my list. It seems that most if not all of their trucks have the 3.92s/LSD/32 gallon tank.

Curious as to how far the remote start works from. I have to cross a busy intersection to get to my company's parking lot. Usually takes a few minutes to get from the gate to my car but I have line of sight of about 75 yards as I walk there. How far away do you have to be?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow when I bought mine the 3:92 with LSD was kinda hard to find. Glad to hear there easier to find now. As far as the remote start if you have a clear line of site it should be no problem. Our parking lot is hughe and mine will work from at least that far. The Homelink works from a great distance as well. I can hit mine at least 100 yards from my house and it works everytime. Pretty impressive.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the advice. I'm more than likely going with a 2015 because of the rebates so I won't be building my own truck. I'm looking at Dennis Dillon more than likely and the LSD, big gas tank and 3.92s, along with the remote start are all at the top of my list. It seems that most if not all of their trucks have the 3.92s/LSD/32 gallon tank.

Curious as to how far the remote start works from. I have to cross a busy intersection to get to my company's parking lot. Usually takes a few minutes to get from the gate to my car but I have line of sight of about 75 yards as I walk there. How far away do you have to be?

I'd bet you'll be able to start it from that range.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I forgot.....you will have a 1 yr Uconnect subscription.....Pretty sure you can start it with your phone if you want.

Last edited: