Truck Bed Storage Alternatives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I've had my eye on the Decked storage system for a while but seems like the price tag is pretty high up there. I'd like something to store all my tools and fire fighting equipment in since I'd like to keep the cab clear and have subs under the back seat. For a while I was going to get the Bakflip tonneau cover just to secure the bed and throw stuff back there but the sliding access boxes are pretty enticing... But again the price tag holds me up a little. (Sorry for the long winded spiel but wanted to explain my scenario).

Does anyone know of ANY similar alternatives than the Decked system that isn't DIY(I really don't have time for another project at the moment)? I may end up going with it anyway... Just wanted to ask the masses for input... Thanks for any you could help with!

https://gearjunkie.com/decked-truck-bed-organizer-usa-made

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure how much fire fighting equipment you carry and how much room you'd need for it but the undercover style swing out truck boxes are pretty cool, extremely fast install, easily removable and pretty darn cheap. Again just not sure if they'd be big enough for your needs or not. They run around 185 each so less then 400 for both sides. My buddy has 2 in his truck and seems to not have any complaints. He keeps tools and riding gear in thema87dc2d985e37a504a88e0c187fc8c5f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Not sure how much fire fighting equipment you carry and how much room you'd need for it but the undercover style swing out truck boxes are pretty cool, extremely fast install, easily removable and pretty darn cheap. Again just not sure if they'd be big enough for your needs or not. They run around 185 each so less then 400 for both sides. My buddy has 2 in his truck and seems to not have any complaints. He keeps tools and riding gear in thema87dc2d985e37a504a88e0c187fc8c5f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I actually do have one of those on one side. Even with another one installed, I wouldn't be able to fit in two helmets with all gear unfortunately. Those are great for tool and chain storage though!

fire101fighter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the Bakflip with horrible luck, went through 4 covers all warranty and leaked like crazy. Finally sent them back and got the truxedo truxport and has been bone dry. I use this set up.0ea81e190d87a00808c62c0a02b3c13d.jpgc6ee1147759766fee5a7b3a95f2b8789.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I got THIS and its awesome.. i also have a ratchet bar with a normal plastic box with divider
Looks really good. However, I need something waterproof unexposed to the elements because I am a volunteer. So my firefighting gear is always in my truck and ready.

FF1115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Same situation here. Bunkers and boots won't fit in the wheel well style boxes. My truck was used and came w the Encore folding tonneau cover. But I am used to a toolbox setup, but like the cover too. Following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
Just bought this. 20 bucks lowes. Fits under my bed cover perfect

7f31050e51d918fed6a672587fde897e.jpg

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Same situation here. Bunkers and boots won't fit in the wheel well style boxes. My truck was used and came w the Encore folding tonneau cover. But I am used to a toolbox setup, but like the cover too. Following.

I'm going to end up needing this one for myself, but it occurred to me as far as the height of the boots with pants down around them and it's around 15". I need to make sure the clearance of that is adequate or close. I'd like to not have to put a long term crease in the boots for the sake of them folding over. And I'd also like to not keep them on their side if possible. Maybe it's a mixture of my OCD and desire for efficiency talking.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L

Drawer height is 8.5" as per the specs here: https://decked.com/products/decked-dodge-ram-1500?variant=31141558087

Not sure I can fit structure boots in there if I want them to stay seated in my pants. Scratch that.. just checked, I can't. I can only fit them if they crease at the bottom of the cuff before the actual boot part. I don't THINK that would be an issue with the integrity... do you know one way or the other FF1115?

Last edited:

Ronny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had my eye on the Decked storage system for a while but seems like the price tag is pretty high up there. I'd like something to store all my tools and fire fighting equipment in since I'd like to keep the cab clear and have subs under the back seat. For a while I was going to get the Bakflip tonneau cover just to secure the bed and throw stuff back there but the sliding access boxes are pretty enticing... But again the price tag holds me up a little. (Sorry for the long winded spiel but wanted to explain my scenario).

Does anyone know of ANY similar alternatives than the Decked system that isn't DIY(I really don't have time for another project at the moment)? I may end up going with it anyway... Just wanted to ask the masses for input... Thanks for any you could help with!

https://gearjunkie.com/decked-truck-bed-organizer-usa-made

I bit the bullet and payed the grand for the DECKED storage system. Installed by myself in about an hour and a half. Stores my bunker gear on one side and bedding, and extra clothing on the other. The separation was necessary, that my clothing isn't exposed to off gassing products of combustion that saturates my gear after a fire.

No complaints, this far.

FF1115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Great news! Could you take a picture of your bunker gear in the drawer? Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I bit the bullet and payed the grand for the DECKED storage system. Installed by myself in about an hour and a half. Stores my bunker gear on one side and bedding, and extra clothing on the other. The separation was necessary, that my clothing isn't exposed to off gassing products of combustion that saturates my gear after a fire.

No complaints, this far.
I was tempted to for a while but ended up not getting it for the time being. I also play ice hockey and have to take my bag in and out of the truck and it's just an extra height to throw my equipment in and out of. Plus I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money when I have debts to pay down a little first.

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't have any pics, but I just have a cargo bar holding 2 generic totes I got at Walmart to the front end of my bed. One has all of my gear in it and the other I keep empty for groceries and such.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Ronny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, that was the middle of the installation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk