Truck Honks When I Get Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I leave the truck to check the mail or open a gate with the fob in my pocket and the truck running the horn will honk 3 times. It's really irritating, so is there a way to disable that? If I take the fob out of my pocket and leave it in the cup holder it won't do that, but then I've forgotten they were in the cup holder twice and locked my keys in the truck requiring me to crawl under the back and get the extra key from the magnetic hide-a-key thing.

antichrist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If I leave the truck to check the mail or open a gate with the fob in my pocket and the truck running the horn will honk 3 times. It's really irritating, so is there a way to disable that? If I take the fob out of my pocket and leave it in the cup holder it won't do that, but then I've forgotten they were in the cup holder twice and locked my keys in the truck requiring me to crawl under the back and get the extra key from the magnetic hide-a-key thing.
I thought the truck would not lock if the keys were accidentally left in the truck

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I seem to recall a conversation about this,

Our FOBs are continually searching for the Ignition Switch or vice versa

I think the Ignitions security Ring sends out the signal & waits for the FOB to get within a certain distance & pings the ignition back.
Either the ignition or the WIN Nodule waits for you to press the FOBs start button.
That is when a thief can send an electronic signal & unlock your truck & Start it too.

That beeping sound is to alert you to a possible security situation

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '21 Warlock just dings in the cab when I get out with the FOB while the engine is running.

The only time I get the triple horning is if I lock the FOB inside and close the door. Then the door locks pop open.

I may be mistaken but I thought I tweaked something in the settings to kill the triple horn action when getting out with the FOB.

I'll check whenever I get rolling next sometime tomorrow.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That doesn't work. As soon as I step around the door, the horn honks.
That would be incorrect behavior, and there’s an issue if that is what’s happening. There is also an issue going on with your truck if you were able to lock the fob inside it (unless you manually pushed down the lock knobs on top of the window sill).

If the truck is running, and you exit the vehicle with the fob, the horn should not honk three times until you close the door and it’s fully latched.
If you shut the truck off, leave the fob in the truck, and you lock the doors via the master door locks switch, as soon as you shut the door it will honk three times and automatically unlock the doors.

As far as disabling the three horn honk when exiting the truck while it’s running and closing the door, it can’t be disabled. There is an easy wiring workaround for it if you have the VSIM upfitter module.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My '21 Warlock just dings in the cab when I get out with the FOB while the engine is running.

The only time I get the triple horning is if I lock the FOB inside and close the door. Then the door locks pop open.

I may be mistaken but I thought I tweaked something in the settings to kill the triple horn action when getting out with the FOB.

I'll check whenever I get rolling next sometime tomorrow.

I don't have electronic locks, I actually have to use a key to open my doors.

Besides, the fob is always in your pocket inside the truck. Even if you take them out and put them in the cup holder then leave the truck with the fob inside and shut the door, how does the truck know you are not there? It doesn't read you, it reads the fob. As long as the fob is there as far as the truck is concerned everything is good to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That would be incorrect behavior, and there’s an issue if that is what’s happening. There is also an issue going on with your truck if you were able to lock the fob inside it (unless you manually pushed down the lock knobs on top of the window sill).

If the truck is running, and you exit the vehicle with the fob, the horn should not honk three times until you close the door and it’s fully latched.
If you shut the truck off, leave the fob in the truck, and you lock the doors via the master door locks switch, as soon as you shut the door it will honk three times and automatically unlock the doors.

As far as disabling the three horn honk when exiting the truck while it’s running and closing the door, it can’t be disabled. There is an easy wiring workaround for it if you have the VSIM upfitter module.
I don't have electronic locks, I have to open my doors with a key.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been reading threads on numerous sites and all I can find is;

Leaving the door ajar should prevent this 3-honk action but you said, that doesn't work on your truck.

Have a look at this thread that claims to have a fix. AFAIK, it will kill all horn chirp warnings and still allow the manual use of your horn.

Many users say the wiring is already in place and some claim that the optional required module was present.

You will have to join this group to open attachments in the thread.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I don't have electronic locks, I actually have to use a key to open my doors.

Besides, the fob is always in your pocket inside the truck. Even if you take them out and put them in the cup holder then leave the truck with the fob inside and shut the door, how does the truck know you are not there? It doesn't read you, it reads the fob. As long as the fob is there as far as the truck is concerned everything is good to go.
Same way it knows you haven’t buckled your seat belt. Weight sensors in the seat.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is a 22 and newer thing. Most owners hate it, and I mean by a wide margain. There is a survey on a different Ram forum that Ram Cares started about it. It's like 200 to 3.

A work around is kind of odd but I've tested the last couple of days and it works. Hold the keyfob against the window glass of the drivers side back seat door as you shut the front door. No 3 honks of the horn.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've been reading threads on numerous sites and all I can find is;

Leaving the door ajar should prevent this 3-honk action but you said, that doesn't work on your truck.

Have a look at this thread that claims to have a fix. AFAIK, it will kill all horn chirp warnings and still allow the manual use of your horn.

Many users say the wiring is already in place and some claim that the optional required module was present.

You will have to join this group to open attachments in the thread.

I must apologize, I was wrong. I tested it today and if I leave the door open it does not honk at me. However, if I'm getting out to check the mail or open a gate in the pounding rain I'm going to want to shut the door so I still need to figure a way to override that function. I'll look into that forum and see if they have a fix. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This is a 22 and newer thing. Most owners hate it, and I mean by a wide margain. There is a survey on a different Ram forum that Ram Cares started about it. It's like 200 to 3.

A work around is kind of odd but I've tested the last couple of days and it works. Hold the keyfob against the window glass of the drivers side back seat door as you shut the front door. No 3 honks of the horn.
I would give that a try, if I had a back seat door. I'll test it out and see if holding it against the driver's door window works.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That doesn't work. As soon as I step around the door, the horn honks.
In my 2022 I can get out with fob in hand, leave the drivers door open and get a good 50+ feet away without it honking at me ( have done this many times now) so some thing must be fu-bared if yours honks at you with the drivers door open and fob in hand....

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my 2022 I can get out with fob in hand, leave the drivers door open and get a good 50+ feet away without it honking at me ( have done this many times now) so some thing must be fu-bared if yours honks at you with the drivers door open and fob in hand....
I corrected myself in a later post.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would give that a try, if I had a back seat door. I'll test it out and see if holding it against the driver's door window works.
There is an antenna inside the cab on the center of the back wall just below rear window. That antenna is one of the two in-cab antennas that detects if the fob is inside the truck.
The idea is to hold the fob against the rear window before shutting the door, that way that antenna still thinks the fob is inside the truck.
Others have had success reaching around the windshield as they’re getting out, and setting the fob on the windshield wiper blade before shutting the door.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can confirm that this does work. I just tried it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank