Truck Honks When I Get Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There is an antenna inside the cab on the center of the back wall just below rear window. That antenna is one of the two in-cab antennas that detects if the fob is inside the truck.
The idea is to hold the fob against the rear window before shutting the door, that way that antenna still thinks the fob is inside the truck.
Others have had success reaching around the windshield as they’re getting out, and setting the fob on the windshield wiper blade before shutting the door.
Sounds kinda like a PITA either way. Open the door, get out, walk around the open door, set your keys on the wiper, then shut the door. All while it's pounding rain and the wind is blowing 20 MPH, just to have 30 seconds to open a gate or check the mail without filling my truck with water. I'm thinking it would be much easier just to be able to override the dang honking to begin with. But I'm just a simple-minded guy. :anitoof:

randydotly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
if your truck is equipped with the VSIM you just need to apply ground to the right wire and you can override this. I actually wired mine to AUX6 on my switches because I had it open.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if your truck is equipped with the VSIM you just need to apply ground to the right wire and you can override this. I actually wired mine to AUX6 on my switches because I had it open.

I posted a link to this solution in post #7. Thank you for validating that as a fix.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disabling it may be possible, I relay here for your amusement why that may not desirable. It was a fine Tuesday morning that started out normally, with me dropping my wife off at work and proceeding an additional 8 miles through some of the finest road works and congestion available in the flyover states. Upon arriving at work and pressing the power button to turn off the vehicle, the dash lit up and said “key fob not detected, to proceed, press power again.” After a search and realizing my wife had the key fob and contemplating my life choices, wondering whether someone would take an idling car for a joy ride or would it have enough fuel to return? I bravely decided to suppress every ounce of “would being fired really be bad?” I had (which was a lot!) and strolled in to work. Amazingly, the car was still running right where I had left it 9 hours later. I would tolerate a few bleeps to avoid that again and will be leaving my ram right like it is from the factory settings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Disabling it may be possible, I relay here for your amusement why that may not desirable. It was a fine Tuesday morning that started out normally, with me dropping my wife off at work and proceeding an additional 8 miles through some of the finest road works and congestion available in the flyover states. Upon arriving at work and pressing the power button to turn off the vehicle, the dash lit up and said “key fob not detected, to proceed, press power again.” After a search and realizing my wife had the key fob and contemplating my life choices, wondering whether someone would take an idling car for a joy ride or would it have enough fuel to return? I bravely decided to suppress every ounce of “would being fired really be bad?” I had (which was a lot!) and strolled in to work. Amazingly, the car was still running right where I had left it 9 hours later. I would tolerate a few bleeps to avoid that again and will be leaving my ram right like it is from the factory settings.
Well, since my wife will never have any reason to have my fob the odds of that particular scenario happening to me tells me I can chance it. Which begs the question: If you were the one driving, why did she have the fob in her possession? :cool:

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If I'm understanding correctly, the fob is only for keyless start? Seems bizarrely superfluous if so. If you need a key, why not use it for the ignition too?

Granted, if one lives in the country and rarely locks their doors (like me) that's one thing. But I sincerely doubt the majority of Ram drivers leave their doors unlocked.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Am I to understand that it wouldn't let you shut it off? I've owned 5 vehicles (2 Rams, a Ford, a Kia and a Mercedes) with keyless start and each one of them would allow you to shut them off without the fob in the vehicle. Actually, not positive about the Kia, we've only had it just over 2 weeks but I'm pretty sure I did that when I was practicing all the features.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If I'm understanding correctly, the fob is only for keyless start? Seems bizarrely superfluous if so. If you need a key, why not use it for the ignition too?

Granted, if one lives in the country and rarely locks their doors (like me) that's one thing. But I sincerely doubt the majority of Ram drivers leave their doors unlocked.
My fob only locks and unlocks the tailgate...period.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My fob only locks and unlocks the tailgate...period.
Whaaaa?!!!!

(Oh, and beeps the horn when you get out, apparently).

In that case, I would probably leave the tailgate unlocked and the fob at home.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Whaaaa?!!!!

(Oh, and beeps the horn when you get out, apparently).

In that case, I would probably leave the tailgate unlocked and the fob at home.
No, the fob doesn't beep the horn, the horn beeping is not a function of the fob. The horn beeping is a function of the truck not "reading" the fob's presence. I meant that there is only one button on the fob and it doesn't do anything but unlock the tailgate. #1- I can't start the engine without the fob in my pocket. #2- If I leave the tailgate unlocked then someone can open it, reach under my locked tonneau cover, and steal my stuff. If it weren't for the truck needing the fob to be present for the truck to start, and there not being and actual key slot in the tailgate for me to unlock it, I would not need the fob. I would only need the key, which itself does nothing but lock and unlock the doors.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If it weren't for the truck needing the fob to be present for the truck to start, and there not being and actual key slot in the tailgate for me to unlock it, I would not need the fob. I would only need the key, which itself does nothing but lock and unlock the doors.
So, it IS "keyless start" then(?) You need to have the fob to start the truck, but NOT the key?

Say you leave your truck unlocked. All you need to drive away is the fob? You go out with the fob, hop in and press the Start button and drive off? BUT, with just the fob, you cannot lock/unlock the doors. And if all you have is the key, all you can do is lock/unlock the doors?

If all this is the case it is totally beyond my comprehension why any mfr would devise such a system. If I knew about it, I almost certainly would not buy a vehicle that operated this way. Bizzare.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, it IS "keyless start" then(?) You need to have the fob to start the truck, but NOT the key?

Say you leave your truck unlocked. All you need to drive away is the fob? You go out with the fob, hop in and press the Start button and drive off? BUT, with just the fob, you cannot lock/unlock the doors. And if all you have is the key, all you can do is lock/unlock the doors?

If all this is the case it is totally beyond my comprehension why any mfr would devise such a system. If I knew about it, I almost certainly would not buy a vehicle that operated this way. Bizzare.
Correct. And by "keyless start" I assumed you were talking about pushing a button on the fob and starting the truck. I don't care for the push-button start. If I had the option, I would opt for needing an actual key to stick in a slot, turn, and start the vehicle.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Correct. And by "keyless start" I assumed you were talking about pushing a button on the fob and starting the truck. I don't care for the push-button start. If I had the option, I would opt for needing an actual key to stick in a slot, turn, and start the vehicle.
No, that's remote start. Keyless start is the fob/key in your pocket and push a button on the dash.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Am I to understand that it wouldn't let you shut it off? I've owned 5 vehicles (2 Rams, a Ford, a Kia and a Mercedes) with keyless start and each one of them would allow you to shut them off without the fob in the vehicle. Actually, not positive about the Kia, we've only had it just over 2 weeks but I'm pretty sure I did that when I was practicing all the features.
Yes it would let me shut it off without the fob but reminded me before just turning off that I would not be able to restart, The situation unfolded because my wife just kept her fob in her purse and it never left. I had failed to take mine that morning and didn’t know it because the car used hers. This was a 2007 camry. The ram would have smashed me against the dash using her seat configuration to remind me it was her fob.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought the truck would not lock if the keys were accidentally left in the truck
mind will not , and if you get out and the truck don't pick up the fob ,it will beep and unlock the doors. Also if wife is in truck and I lever it running with the fob in my pocket, she is pissed because the truck sits and beeps at her.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think a lot of you are getting confused because you automatically assume everyone has electronic locks that can be controlled by the fob. The only thing on my truck that fob controls is the tailgate lock. And I don't like that because I want to be able to lock and unlock it with a key, like I do my doors, because then I will always know whether it's locked or not. And I don't like it because there have been several times when the fob was in my pocket and the button got pushed and locked my tailgate. Then later, I have an armload of stuff I need to put it the bed and barley have one hand available to reach up and open the tailgate, but the damn thing is locked, so I have to set everything down, get the fob out of my pocket to unlock the tailgate, then pick everything back up again to load it in the back. The fob is a PITA. I want a key for everything, but some engineer decided that was too strenuous.

Edit: Oh, I forgot. The fob also has a "panic button" thingy. That's also fun when something in my pocket pushes the button and the horn starts blaring and now I have dig out my keys to shut that damn thing off. Yeah, the fob is a PITA.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
So you have a key to start the truck and open the doors?
No push button start?
I do hate that panic button
I do my best to stay away from looking at the new trucks.
My heart could not take the price tag.

OP
OP
Tulecreeper

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No push button start?
I want a key to actually stick in the ignition to start the truck, too. Having to carry that damn fob is like having to carry around a golf ball in my pocket all the time.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
No push button start?
I think the OP is getting confused or forgetful.

Per previous statements (and no, I am not going to go find and quote them):

The Key is only to lock and unlock the doors (but not the tailgate).

The fob is only to start the truck and lock or unlock the tailgate.

Unless he mis-spoke before...