Truck Shopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys / Gals,

It's that time again! I've had my Dodge Ram 1500 for over a year now, love it. Absolutely love it. With some minor upgrades, it'll be an amazing truck for my mom to drive. I'm shopping right now for a 2009 or newer Dodge Ram 3500. Not a dualie just because I think they look tacky as hell, and I'm not hauling that much.

Here's what I want to know.

1. What kinds of problems do the 4th Gen Dodge Ram 3500s have?
2. What's a good mileage range to be looking at?
3. What are other things I should be looking for for abnormal wear and tear?
4. What kinds of sounds should I listen for?
5. What price range is good based on the miles?

Here's my reasons for the 3500, rather than a 1500, 1500ED, 2500 or 2500 HD.

1. I've recently acquired some livestock that are currently being held at a friends property. I'll need to be able to haul 8 - 10 cows, 3 - 5 horses, and any tack for them.
2. My family owns horses, and we've just picked up a few more. My mom has decided to be a Horse Rescuer, despite my concerns.
3. My 1500 is great, however it's too small. I'm a big guy, 6'6", 375lbs, and I'm cramped in my 1500. I've ridden in a 3500, and it's spacious enough for me to sleep in the driver/passenger side.
4. Family problems. My sisters boyfriend if being a righteous ******* and charging my mom up the *****. He expects ALL fuel to be paid, a hotel room of his choosing, spending money for the trip, and any repairs for his truck to be done. She's not allowed to drive it, not allowed to do anything but ride quietly like a "good wife" should. That doesn't sit right with me, at all. The last time I was there, I hit him in the face with a brick of .45 ACP rounds when he disrespected my mom.
5. I've been helping friends with various chores, we've had a recent snowstorm that's devastated some portions of Washington State. One of the barns we keep our critters in has a collapsed roof in the corner. I'm one of those people who will give you the shirt off my back if it means you'll stop freezing and smile. I was raised with thought of "If you have the ability to help, then help, if you aren't sure, help anyways."

With all that said, I need a work truck. I drive a lot, and long distance. I live in Southern Washington State, work in Oregon, and I drive to Central / Northern Washington a lot. I've put more miles on my truck in the last year, than I did on my 2012 Ford Fusion. You guys are my source of information. My 2009 RAM 1500 will be going to my mom. With a few upgrades, it'll be a good starter truck for her, despite the crap she wants in a truck. She can pull her 1 - 2 horses with the 1500 without a problem, and I can tow her if it breaks down. I plan on owning this 3500 for 5 - 10 years, or until until it hits 500k miles or until it breaks completely. I plan to put $5,000 down on the truck, maybe more.

I've posted here once before about this, but my life has suddenly changed, and changed for the better. I'm a full time employee now, and I make about 50% more than what I was originally making. Anything and everything helps!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you can wait, the new model HD trucks should be arriving somewhere between June and Sept ?. You might want to wait until deslers start blowing out their stock to make room for the 5th Gen HD Rams. IMHO, you should be looking for a Cummins diesel. You could also check Dennis Dillon ram for pricing. A tradesman might be perfect for your needs.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
x2 on getting a CTD

If the engine isn't taken care of you'll still get 300k miles out of it. If it is taken care of, it'll outlast the truck it's sitting in.

OP
OP
B

BinaryData

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
x2 on getting a CTD

If the engine isn't taken care of you'll still get 300k miles out of it. If it is taken care of, it'll outlast the truck it's sitting in.
I won't drive a diesel unless it's a Cummins. There's little to no point, unless it's a CAT. My dream combo would be a Cummins + Allison Transmission but that's a lot of money haha.

I'll focus on getting a Cummins Tradesman Truck. I'll also keep shopping. I've seen a few at 100k - 150k for $20k - $25k, anything below 100k is usually $30k or higher. I refuse to buy brand new, too many problems, and the cost is generally absurd. I was looking for $25k - $35k.