Trucks first oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first one is done. I bought the truck in December and put 6450 miles on it so far. The oil life was still at 32% but this weekend I'm heading to All Truck Nationals at Carlisle and that's a 3 to 4 hour drive with my trailer and next weekend we are camping in Cape May which is a solid 2 hour drive. I wanted to get some fresh oil in it before I took those trips.

I wanted to use PUP but this was a last minute decision so I used what Walmart had which was Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 full synth. Not a whole lot of difference between the two. The ultimate has some more detergents and anti friction additives. That's it. My engine is new so I wasn't worried about the detergents and I added a bottle of Liqui Moly so I'm good with that. That was basically free because I had some reward cash at Advance Auto. I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. I used a NAPA Platinum filter. I know they're good because Wix makes them.

I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect but it seemed a little smoother. I wasn't expecting any change, to be honest, because it's a new truck.

I only owned my last truck for a year so I only did two oil changes on it but I forgot how much of a pain getting to that filter was. Especially one put on at the factory. Hopefully the next one will be easier to get off.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
[QUOTE="Loudram, post: 2330899, member: 77137"]I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect but it seemed a little smoother. I wasn't expecting any change, to be honest, because it's a new truck.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's the same thing as people saying their vehicle runs better when it has been washed. :insane:
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your oil a little bit early.
I bought the oil and filter to change it in my CTD this week even though it only has 11,000 miles on it.
Going to tow our trailer next month and do some camping. :favorites13:

OP
OP
Loudram

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your oil a little bit early.
Nope, now I'll let go until the computer tells me it's time for another change. I feel more confident letting it go the full time.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, now I'll let go until the computer tells me it's time for another change. I feel more confident letting it go the full time.
90k miles here doing it that way. i used to be the change your oil every 3k miles type. I had an 09 G8GT that used 9 quarts and I used to change it every 3k miles so I learned to let go back then and since then adopted the let the computer tell me when to change it. :) I go 150k-200k miles before I sell them to get another one.

Ludville1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Sport Crew
When buying a new vehicle I have always done the first oil change and filter, going to a full synthetic at 1000 miles, 5000 miles, then every 5000 miles thereafter. This method has treated me extremely well. Other than this Hemi...once a year OCI, because I only put like 3000 miles/year on it.