True 90mm BBK throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you need to remember, and what a lot of people don't consider or even research before jumping into a throttle body is that bigger is not always better. Especially in the case of our trucks.
Having a TB that big you'd need some serious mods, engine work, and a tuner to even utilize a 90MM TB. The best throttle body you can get imo for our hemis is the fastman throttle body.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What you need to remember, and what a lot of people don't consider or even research before jumping into a throttle body is that bigger is not always better. Especially in the case of our trucks.
Having a TB that big you'd need some serious mods, engine work, and a tuner to even utilize a 90MM TB. The best throttle body you can get imo for our hemis is the fastman throttle body.
I'm pretty positive with a tune, long tubes, fan delete, cold air intake, this puppy would sing nicely!

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty positive with a tune, long tubes, fan delete, cold air intake, this puppy would sing nicely!

Did you read the reviews on Amazon? I’d be pretty nervous lol. Lots of people say avoid this TB like the plague. With a bore that big you’d need ported heads, camshaft, etc and be tuned properly to avoid surging and idle issues

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go this route I would mill down the intake flange so it is smooth with where the throttle body meets it.

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you read the reviews on Amazon? I’d be pretty nervous lol. Lots of people say avoid this TB like the plague. With a bore that big you’d need ported heads, camshaft, etc and be tuned properly to avoid surging and idle issues

Stock yeah it's not going to make a difference, just like moes. Add headers, cold air intake, and a tune and then it will be a hell of an upgrade!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is probably over kill for most peoples trucks but if you plan to go with it we got some in stock. This would be perfect for a stroker of forced induction. either way you should have a custom tuner look at logs with this mod and adjust accordingly.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can't agree on this one. As stated you you need more mods to get any benefit out of a throttle body upgrade.

I agree. Even with headers, a CAI, tune, that big of a throttle body would likely be overkill and could just make tuning a pain in the ass. It likely wouldn’t match up very well with the factory intake either. The throttle body would have potential for tons of airflow but a stock engine has no way to keep up the flow. It would be like having a fire hose nozzle on your garden hose.

Now if you have forced induction or a stroker with a big cam etc. then sure.

As a comparison the hellcat TB is a 92mm I believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well i would buy it before i bought a moe's 83mm TB thats advertised as an 87. since I have headers, and will have a cold air intake, it will not be overkill if tuned properly. 83mm vs 90mm.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well i would buy it before i bought a moe's 83mm TB thats advertised as an 87. since I have headers, and will have a cold air intake, it will not be overkill if tuned properly. 83mm vs 90mm.

With just basic bolt ons it’s not worth the money. Sure the throttle body flows a lot but your engine in stock form doesn’t have the capability to match the flow. There would likely be no gains to be had from switching from a “87”mm throttlebody to a 90mm, you may even lose power or bottom end torque. Have you checked the opening of the intake? If it’s smaller than 90mm you’d have to bore it out. I’m fairly certain it’s an 85mm opening.

Check out what other people have to say about it. Lots of guys saying it’s overkill and they gained zero over a ported stock throttlebody.

There’s a good write up on this, about how bigger is not always better.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132130&amp=1

Last edited:
OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With just basic bolt ons it’s not worth the money. Sure the throttle body flows a lot but your engine in stock form doesn’t have the capability to match the flow. There would likely be no gains to be had from switching from a “87”mm throttlebody to a 90mm, you may even lose power or bottom end torque. Have you checked the opening of the intake? If it’s smaller than 90mm you’d have to bore it out. I’m fairly certain it’s an 85mm opening.

Check out what other people have to say about it. Lots of guys saying it’s overkill and they gained zero over a ported stock throttlebody.

There’s a good write up on this, about how bigger is not always better.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=132130&amp=1
It uses a 90mm blade. Moe's is 83mm not 87 as advertised. I put a moe's 83mm on my truck and didn't notice a damn thing.
Honestly I think bigger or ported throttle bodies are over rated. I might sell my moe's 83mm.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
It uses a 90mm blade. Moe's is 83mm not 87 as advertised. I put a moe's 83mm on my truck and didn't notice a damn thing.

Hmmm... I have Moe's 87mm TB, I didn't put calipers to it. Sure it's only 83MM?

As to the 90, I agree with what was said above. At the very least matched intake manifold to handle the massive air coming from the 90 seems logical. Otherwise it's a chokepoint. Port matching is the concept, I believe.

@Hemi450hp knows his stuff.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Honestly I think bigger or ported throttle bodies are over rated. I might sell my moe's 83mm.

I know the 87 is not a true 87 that’s why I put the “ “ around 87 lol.

Moes 87mm TB still uses the stock 80mm blade I believe but that’s mainly to retain stock idle characteristics. It is ported from 83-87mm from the front to the blade. The idea is that style porting helps speed up the airflow vs just increasing volume like a true bore TB. It would give a smoother transition to the intake than a 90mm true bore would since the intake intake is around 85mm anyway.

It should be proof that if you didn’t notice any gain from the stock TB to a ported TB that an even bigger TB is likely going to have the same effect. If you had things like a stroker,cam,head work or forced induction that could actually handle the increased volume then it would be worth it.

I think you’d be better off using that money towards something like a torque converter or gears that would actually make a noticeable difference.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Going that large is pointless without some internal mods and/or ported heads/manifold. I've followed guys running ported intake manifolds with Arrington 88MM TB's on the SRT 392's for a while, but couldn't justify the cost myself until I eventually do something more with it like a cam. Without a cam grind that's going to benefit from the increased flow and/or ported heads it doesn't do much for you over the taper port or the fastman port when you look at the overall cost. If that's part of your end goal you can get the manifold ported and peakspeed should be able to port match the manifold, to an extent, to whatever TB you plan on running.

https://peakspeedshop.com/Zen_Cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_168&products_id=751

OP
OP
2010 Infantry Vet

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know the 87 is not a true 87 that’s why I put the “ “ around 87 lol.

Moes 87mm TB still uses the stock 80mm blade I believe but that’s mainly to retain stock idle characteristics. It is ported from 83-87mm from the front to the blade. The idea is that style porting helps speed up the airflow vs just increasing volume like a true bore TB. It would give a smoother transition to the intake than a 90mm true bore would since the intake intake is around 85mm anyway.

It should be proof that if you didn’t notice any gain from the stock TB to a ported TB that an even bigger TB is likely going to have the same effect. If you had things like a stroker,cam,head work or forced induction that could actually handle the increased volume then it would be worth it.

I think you’d be better off using that money towards something like a torque converter or gears that would actually make a noticeable difference.
I bought my used moes 83mm TB for $150. So I had to try it out. Did absolutely nothing and I have 14" Magnaflow and long tubes. It was worth a try at that price. There is no way I would ever pay $400 for s TB that has the stock size air blade.

Like you said the 90 would be good for cam or blown. I agree 100%. The moes 83 is a waste of money in my opinion.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I bought my used moes 83mm TB for $150. So I had to try it out. Did absolutely nothing and I have 14" Magnaflow and long tubes. It was worth a try at that price. There is no way I would ever pay $400 for s TB that has the stock size air blade.

Like you said the 90 would be good for cam or blown. I agree 100%. The moes 83 is a waste of money in my opinion.

A custom tune is likely the way to go to get any benefit from a ported TB.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
With a few hours work you can get a bit more out of your stock TB. I home polished /knife edged the blade / trimmed the throttle shaft down and port matched the intake mouth to it,and picked up close to a tenth out of my stock TB.Probably have about a 1/2 dozen hours into it,and maybe 15 bucks in sandpaper/Dremel cartridge rolls and polishing compound

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank