Tuning, is the grass greener on the other side?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hoping to be at the track tomorrow night. I will be bringing my laptop with both hf and jays tune. If I make it there I will post up numbers.

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
JG's tune is my personal favorite. Jay's customer service is exceptional, as is his tune. I run the 93 race tune with traction control disabled. It's pretty insane. Only issue I have is traction! I've owned and raced mustangs for a long time; I can drive, but I can't launch my truck without crazy wheel spin. I can brake torque to about 1200 rpms and she squeaks the tires, but the pull or the times isn't as strong as launching at 1800 to 2000 rpms with crazy wheelspin. I was told by the man himself to not break torque, just floor it from a dig and it spins so much the truck literally stops to allow the fly wheel to catch up. Back to the Greene side, he is top notch. Easy to call or message. Best experience I've had with a tuner in years! Thanks Jay

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Sean has always been great for me! He gets back to me right away and hasn't ever dismissed my stupidest questions or concerns lol. Maybe you caught him on a bad day? I'd email him again, just say it's not running smoothly and send a log!

bd1d1a56187dfacc128f9cf330023ed6.jpg

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before this turns into a **** storm and people start bashing this one and that one, lets take a step back and be thankful we even have tuning options. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to want to put a tune on a vehicle and they don't even sell a damn exhaust for it. Both tunes are strong. I know from experience. I own many Hemifever tunes and many Greene Racing tunes. We aren't talking mega horsepower or mega differences in time at the track here. We're freaking splitting hairs like crazy. Nick posted times that were within tenths of each other. I know that a tenth can be a big deal but SOOOO much goes into a 1/4 mile run. If these tunes are within a tenth of each other and still making your truck faster then good job! You got a Greene Racing tune good choice! You got a Hemifever tune? That's awesome! Thank you for spending your hard earned money on something that makes your truck faster and continues to give these guys reasons to keep working and releasing parts for our trucks.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
To be honest Matt, No he hasn't received a log and I've only received the initial 89 tune.

I emailed Sean with my concerns, he dismissed my issues as a gearing problem saying "they won't let the rpms wind up efficiently from a performance perspective". He didn't ask for any logs to verify anything. He also said it is not possible for the Diablo to be quicker vs his tune as the HF eliminates 100% on the torque management.

Nick, what I was getting at is that Sean sent you 1 tune with no datalogs that so far has shown a faster time than all 7 revisions that you have received from another tuner. I have seen quite a few people complain because Sean told them their tune didn't need any changes. This is simply because they usually don't need to be changed. The fact that you are now 7 tune revisions later with a different tuner and still are not faster than what you ran on the 1st tune that he sent you is proof of that. This is not in any way meant to be a negative comment against other tuners, it is just simply to explain that changes are not always necessary on a mostly stock truck.

I would also have to agree that it is extremely doubtful that a canned Diablo tune is outrunning tunes from both Sean and Jay. If this is the case, your truck would be the first I have ever seen that ran better on a canned tune than 1 of these custom tunes. There is a first for everything I guess, but with the thousands of trucks we have worked with, I completely understand why Sean would tell you it is extremely unlikely if not impossible for the canned tune to run stronger. I'd like to see you compare them at the track next time instead of with the 0-60 timer on the tuner. I would be very curious to se if the numbers are the same as what you are seeing on the tuner.

Also, if you are going to the track, let Sean know about it. He does not send track tunes out unless he knows you are racing. With the number of trucks he tunes, he sends everyone reliable but strong daily driving tunes. He will take it a step further and disable your traction control if you let him know that you do plan to take the truck to the track. With traction, the track tune is running .1-.2 quicker than the standard street tunes that he sent you the first time.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, if you are going to the track, let Sean know about it. He does not send track tunes out unless he knows you are racing. With the number of trucks he tunes, he sends everyone reliable but strong daily driving tunes. He will take it a step further and disable your traction control if you let him know that you do plan to take the truck to the track. With traction, the track tune is running .1-.2 quicker than the standard street tunes that he sent you the first time.

I have the track tune, and it's tons of fun! :naughty: It lights up the dash a bit, but who cares, lol!

OP
OP
N1ck

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would also have to agree that it is extremely doubtful that a canned Diablo tune is outrunning tunes from both Sean and Jay. If this is the case, your truck would be the first I have ever seen that ran better on a canned tune than 1 of these custom tunes. There is a first for everything I guess, but with the thousands of trucks we have worked with, I completely understand why Sean would tell you it is extremely unlikely if not impossible for the canned tune to run stronger. I'd like to see you compare them at the track next time instead of with the 0-60 timer on the tuner.

Jay has already commented on my truck performing better with stock timing vs the HF or JG 89 tunes...

I will test all three at the track, ive already addressed that. The track is 3hr drive each way and is only open for street legal events on Friday evenings, running a business does not allow me to drop everything and leave to go racing at 2pm very often. At this time the tuner is the best I've got, I agree it will not be 100% accurate, but all tunes will be subject to the same inaccuracies.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
No no no, not trying to put anyone out of business, just posting my results. For the record, I'm very happy with Jay to date, even though my truck is running slower. His service has been top notch and I think he'll get t worked out.

I was just being sarcastic.. Hope you get everything worked out.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well went to the track last night. It was a little disappointing. Only got to runs in. Spun both times and the second time I tried preloading it. The brakes started to slip and I just floored it and jumped the light. That was the worse run. Number 5048 left lane.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 78

Hemi8073

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nick, take a look at your MPH in those slips. You ran 5mph faster than that other truck which is a HUGE power difference. There is so much more to racing than many people realize when looking at ET's posted online. Gearing, weight reduction, track prep, fuel octane, weather, wind direction, and even the track itself will affect what times are posted. Best way to compare your trucks performance is against other vehicles at your local track. The simple fact that you ran 5mph faster than that other truck shows that you have an easy 30-40hp over him. Now its just a matter of getting a good launch and a little track prep to knock your ET's down.

Could also be 6 speed vs a 8 speed which would be pretty typical with that kind of a mph difference. But yes, mph is a big indication of power especially if the two trucks are near the same weight

sicmadek

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 express qc
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well went to the track last night. It was a little disappointing. Only got to runs in. Spun both times and the second time I tried preloading it. The brakes started to slip and I just floored it and jumped the light. That was the worse run. Number 5048 left lane.

You cant stall these trucks up at the line. The ecu will freak out and pull timing immediately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N1ck

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New tune from Jay?

Yes, yesterday he sent me a 89 tune with 91 spark - think that is right (Jay correct if I'm wrong). Pulled consistent 5.8-5.9 and 9.451/8 @ 77.5mph. Sent Jay a log and he tweak'd it and sent it back today. Tried it out and it was slower!! 6.12 was my best out of 8 tries. Then he sent me another, back down to a best of 5.96 and 9.48in 1/8. Then I loaded the canned 93 Diablo tune and did a few, all 6.01-6.12. Then did the canned 87 and got a best of 9.42 @ 78.7mph.

I'm stumped

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, yesterday he sent me a 89 tune with 91 spark - think that is right (Jay correct if I'm wrong). Pulled consistent 5.8-5.9 and 9.451/8 @ 77.5mph. Sent Jay a log and he tweak'd it and sent it back today. Tried it out and it was slower!! 6.12 was my best out of 8 tries. Then he sent me another, back down to a best of 5.96 and 9.48in 1/8. Then I loaded the canned 93 Diablo tune and did a few, all 6.01-6.12. Then did the canned 87 and got a best of 9.42 @ 78.7mph.

I'm stumped

Definitely weird... Yours is an 8 speed right?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Nick, that is why I was saying not to focus too hard on what the Trinity says. I am also 1.5 hours from my local track, and the crowds are so bad that you can only get in 3 passes in 6 hours, but that is where you want to do your testing. I know its tough for you to get out there though, so it makes it tough to dial in the truck.

I've seen guys switch tunes and have the trinity show an improvement or loss of up to .8 in the 1/4, yet their ET at the track is identical or within .1 of what their original tune showed.

These trucks also have a learning curve, so switching tunes every single day isn't going to give you an accurate performance reading either. I would load a tune, and run it for no less than 1 week before changing to something new.

At the end of the day, you have a mostly stock truck, so there isn't going to be some magical tune setting that just all the sudden brings it to life after 9 tunes from Jay and the 1 you got from Sean. I would be very surprised to see the canned 87 tune outperform tunes from both of these guys, but there is a first for everything. Next time you go to the track, give that canned 87 tune a try just to see what the numbers are like. That is going to give you a real number to go off of.