Turn knob tranny selector BEWARE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Lol, I remember one time when I was younger coming up to a light and going for the clutch that wasn't there and catching the brake pedal, lucky there was no one behind me cause they locked up in a hurry!

Haha! I did this in a 15 passanger van with someone sleeping in the rear most seat. He flew over the other occupants and ended up in the laps of the people behind me.

On the original topic, I was never a fan of the dial shifter.

ob1sw4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow.... I didn't even know turn knob shifters existed, holy **** thats the worse idea ever... jesus. I'd never buy a vehicle with that ****.

Z77Z77Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't have an issue with it. It works just fine, just different, if I had any complaint I find it's too easy to overshoot reverse and end up in park, maybe a longer "throw" or stiffer detents would solve that.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took me a bit to get used to mine too. Once I was in reverse and put it in drive instead of park and took my foot off the brake and starting going forward. Only did that once! Lol. Glad to hear buddy wasn't seriously hurt.

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This could have been stopped right away. I ALWAYS put my emergency brake on BEFORE I put my vehicles in "Park."

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
This could have been stopped right away. I ALWAYS put my emergency brake on BEFORE I put my vehicles in "Park."

Same here.

My wife's Quest has the high dash shifter. I knock that thing out of gear every time I drive it when reaching for the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I know this probably isn't a popular opinion, but if the knob shifter is that bad, just don't get it. A class action lawsuit because the wrong gear was accidentally selected? Sounds nuts to me. It's not like the computer shifts it into a different gear than is selected. Sorry for OP's relative's accident, but it was pretty clearly operator error, and yep applying the parking brake would have prevented it. And no, I don't have experience with that particular vehicle, but I'm pretty confident that shifter isn't a crash-happy lawsuit design waiting to happen.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are in such a hurry that you still have your hand on the shifter and foot on the brake while trying to leave your vehicle, that's a problem with you, not your shifter. Slow down, safety first.

Could have been so much worse. Glad to hear it sounds like he'll be okay.

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 HFE RCSB
Engine
3.6L V6 And proud.
I personally love the dial shifter on my truck, I find it to be very intuitive and easy to use, you can feel it clicking through the selections really not sure what more you can ask for from it, maybe a big audible annoying bell sound when you run through the gears? Plus takes up a ton less space than those big column shifters that tend to have a hard time finding gears as they get older, or the center console shifter, which kids and drunk friends love to switch into different gears while you're driving.

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Uncle has a '13 1500 with the knob and I have a '14 2500 with a column shift. On multiple occasions we have both left with the 1500 in reverse and got in my truck and shifted it to 4-low (T-case knob is in the same location as his transmission knob)

Dodge added an alarm to the 3gen trucks if the seatbelt was unlatched, in reverse and the door was open, I was surprised the knob shifted trucks don't have the same feature. I never had an issue with the 3gens, but I have with the knob.
Also it is a huge pain when getting cattle up, if the truck isn't completely stopped and your foot on the brake; it won't shift and the one stubborn old cow will giggle and run off to the woods. First you cuss the cow and you cuss the ram.

Tommy

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had just bought the new Ram and was moving out RV from one spot to another. Twice I thought I had switched from drive to reverse, but had actually turned the radio knob. Nothing *** hurt, didn't crash any thing but it was a goofy feeling.

It takes a little getting used to but I think I like it....I dunno for sure.

Hope your buddy is ok

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
crazy story. sounds like my luck!! i wish him a speedy recovery.

PTCTreeGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
none, why can't
Engine
these be blank
My vote for worst thread ever, should be titled "Those who don't think or look are doomed for pain."

You can't be bothered to verify what you are touching and then warn us to watch out?? That's called LAZINESS, I know how many clicks it is to pop the transmissions in all the work trucks into park and still verify visually what gear it's in. As for reaching and adjusting the radio, HOW??? It's not even that close and a different size? Yes I've only test driven them but it was immediately apparent which was which. The selector is here to stay and International has been using both rotary and push button systems for their trucks without this kind of 'error' with drivers that are constantly shifting in out and of park for deliveries and reversing. Or are we just better drivers in larger trucks or just actually have ingrained responsibility for our own actions?

OP
OP
Birddog

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
He's doing well and his new Durango is fixed now. I'm sure he will take his time getting out from now on. Lol

As far as being CARELESS, as I would describe some posts... This guy is a master electrician by trade. He knows when to be careful and like everyone else is entitled to make mistakes. Especially one that can happen to anyone. Anyone that thinks "this guy is a klutz, it will never happen to me", definately needs to have a camera follow him so I can watch their mistake on Tru TV. Lol

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I understand not getting rid of it because of the $$$. I would really be extra careful from here on out. I am glad he is better. I hope it doesn't happen to any one else. Could have been a lot worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, you overthinking it. It’s not an live animal or beast.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
When shifter is in gear engaged you can’t turn it until you push on brake pedal again. And all that talks about someone parked on a highway by accidentally shifting the knob instead of a radio is BS

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm sure we'll hear more stories like this, and eventually there will be a class action..

I can see it now....Yes your honor, We are suing the company because we are to dumb to properly turn a knob....

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
He's doing well and his new Durango is fixed now. I'm sure he will take his time getting out from now on. Lol

As far as being CARELESS, as I would describe some posts... This guy is a master electrician by trade. He knows when to be careful and like everyone else is entitled to make mistakes. Especially one that can happen to anyone. Anyone that thinks "this guy is a klutz, it will never happen to me", definately needs to have a camera follow him so I can watch their mistake on Tru TV. Lol

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro!

My 1500 has more than 100,000 miles on it....This has never happened to me.
I have never changed gears, thinking I was adjusting the radio.
I have never turned a radio knob, thinking I was shifting gears.
Your "friend" needs to slow down and pay attention to the equipment that he's operating before he causes a serious accident.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
His friend has had four years to think about it, adjust to it, get rid of it, etc. lol