Issue with volume knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Okay, first of all, the radio in my truck is kind of a piece of crap. Actually, it's more like favorites68.gif. The display illuminates about 1 in 10 times, it spits out any CD I put into it unless I give it a firm tap after inserting it, and then there's the eponymous issue, which is honestly the biggest PITA at the moment.

Basically, when you turn the volume knob "up," the volume from the speakers will actually go "down" for a random amount of turns before it suddenly spikes back up. The trick is to "catch" the desired volume level without turning the knob any further, because otherwise the volume drops back down, then I gotta spin it around all over again.

As a bonus, the inverse is also true: when I turn the volume down, it'll randomly go up, meaning I have to play the same, aforementioned trick until I get it where I want it.

I can remove the thing easy enough, so if there's an easy fix here, I'd be all for giving it a shot. The trouble is I have no idea WHAT to fix, and this is all assuming whatever the problem is isn't going to cost much.

I want to just whip the bugger into the scrap pile and replace it with an aftermarket unit, but I'm kind of running a shoestring budget this year, so I gotta work with what I got for now. On the bright side, the tape deck works perfect!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My 1996 has the same problem with the volume dial. Dealer replaced it twice on warranty, still doing it 26 years later. Trick, turn dial SLOWLY in direction you want and either pull out on the knob or push in on it. Not perfect but better. No idea why it works better that way but it does. Don't use the radio enough to really care so never had it replaced. Sound system in the pickup however is really quite good considering the vintage.

Rob2gen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar Magnum 360
My original stereo in my 2001 was crapping out on me a few years ago. No volume control and sometimes it would just turn up to max while driving (what a pain). My solution was to find one online. A junkyard in Minnesota sold me a working stereo from a 99 Durango for $35 plus shipping. Problem solved on the cheap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357