Two Catch Can Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haters gonna hate, and there are those on this forum who for some unknown reason insist on ridiculing catch cans. Whether through ignorance, delusion, denial or laziness, I can't determine and its probably different for every snark.

Facts:
1) The Hemi's higher compression, reduced number of piston rings, and short piston skirts produce a lot of blow by gases that wind up in the crankcase.
2) The Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) on the Hemi uses vacuum from the intake manifold to remove oil vapor, combustion gases, combustion byproducts (varnish, carbon, unburned gasoline), water vapor and other volatized gases from the crankcase.
3) The same vacuum from the intake manifold that sucks the crud out of the Hemi crankcase via the PCV deposits it in the intake manifold as it is sucked through your valves and into your combustion chambers. In combustion chambers that crud interacts with your fuel air mixture in a deleterious (big word :naughty:) fashion.
4) The crud removed by your PCV is not good motor fuel (except maybe for a 2 cycle engine).
5) When motor oil mixed with water is exposed to the type of temperatures found in the combustion chamber it tends to leave additional nasty by-products behind.

Question: So do you really want to allow the items listed above to happen to your engine?

Remember: Chrysler doesn't care, they've passed the cost on to you via either having to use 89 Octane to burn that extra crud without your PCM pulling timing, or in increased/accelerated engine fouling to be discovered AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES.

:crazy:
So, if running with a catch can, can one run at 87 instead of the recommended 89 since what the 89 is burning off will just be grabbed anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'm new to the Hemi, as well, and am researching this and although there are some members who don't think it's necessary, I have yet to find a thread / poll where there is significant push back against running a catch can.

I guess the biggest reason not to is forgetting to empty it, or I haven't found it yet.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a Billet Technology catch can and it does not have the drain valve on it. I had one on the Challenger also, and after seeing the oil mist that would go back in the intake manifold, it sure will gum it up.
And with all of the sludge and oil I get in the winter months, there is no way it would drain out of a small valve. I only empty mine every 3K miles before I take it in for a oil change. It takes less than a minute to unscrew it, dump it out, and screw it back on.

http://www.custombilletstore.net/product_p/20014.htm

https://www.redline-motorworks.com/...n-oil-catch-can-work-and-why-is-it-beneficial

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So, if running with a catch can, can one run at 87 instead of the recommended 89 since what the 89 is burning off will just be grabbed anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I do, with no obvious reduction in drive-ability.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a Billet Technology catch can and it does not have the drain valve on it. I had one on the Challenger also, and after seeing the oil mist that would go back in the intake manifold, it sure will gum it up.
And with all of the sludge and oil I get in the winter months, there is no way it would drain out of a small valve. I only empty mine every 3K miles before I take it in for a oil change. It takes less than a minute to unscrew it, dump it out, and screw it back on.

Billet Technology Signature Series Catch Can For Dodge RAM 5.7L

https://www.redline-motorworks.com/...n-oil-catch-can-work-and-why-is-it-beneficial

Empty them when they're warm,i've ran Moroso catch cans on my last 2 Rams and on the wifes new Challenger,never had an issue draining them in the winter ,just drain them when the can is warm.No different then draining the oil in the winter.You don't try to change oil on a cold engine at -20,you warm it up first then drain the oil,do the same with a catch can,kind of a no brainer if you ask me,lol

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Empty them when they're warm,i've ran Moroso catch cans on my last 2 Rams and on the wifes new Challenger,never had an issue draining them in the winter ,just drain them when the can is warm.No different then draining the oil in the winter.You don't try to change oil on a cold engine at -20,you warm it up first then drain the oil,do the same with a catch can,kind of a no brainer if you ask me,lol

I do the exact same with Moroso can...I even have a 3' piece of 5/8" drain hose that attach and drain in pain under the passenger front fender.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm just jealous because I can't put one on my 3rd gen and have to clean it manually, sincerely would use one if I could.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I view it as a small investment to prolong the engine of a very expensive truck. I hope!!!!

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You don't have any issues with them in cold weather? I have read many times that they freeze up and cause issues in cold climates.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You don't have any issues with them in cold weather? I have read many times that they freeze up and cause issues in cold climates.

Just drive the truck for a bit and it melts everything so it can drain. The fluid can freeze in the canister overnight but it doesn't cause any issues unless the can is almost full and then it's only because it can expand enough to either crack or separate the reservoir. Winter driving will generate more fluid because there's lots of condensation that builds up so they need to be emptied more often in the winter.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
How? they're attached to the engine block. 5 minutes after start up they're as warm as anything under the hood.

I do get the oil water mayonnaise in the winter, but that's not gonna freeze.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Kurtis pretty well covered it.I've never had any issues running them in Canada in the winter.As pointed out if you put a hose on the drain petcock,you can drain it into a catch basin under the vehicle.I do drain them more often in the winter though,about every 1500/2,000 miles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca