Unique Uconnect situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HARLEY214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7ltr
Ok guys here we go..... So I've torn through the threads trying to find a solution to my situation and have found NOTHING, hoping someone can help me out here. So my problem is Some assholes decided they needed my Uconnect radio more than I did. So i bought a new one on Facebook marketplace only to have it not allow anything to come through the speakers. Now the radio i had before did NOT have a back up camera nor NAV, which i believe to be the RA3 with Bluetooth. The radio I bought was the RA4 with backup camera and NAV capabilities. I DO NOT HAVE THE ALPINE STEREO UPGRADE.
The best info i have came up with is that my old stereo did not have the amp, and the new radio thinks there is one, therefore not getting signal. Is there anyway i can easily add an amp, or flash the radio into older mode rather than newer hince the unique situation. Theres alot of threads on upgrading non on downgrading....lol
Thanks for any input yall might have.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either radio is back up cam capable and the amp for the Alpine system is under the dash not in the radio. Sounds like you either don’t have some connected completely, the radio is bad itself, or when they took your old radio they damage some of the wiring removing it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my research when I upgraded my radio I found that some newer radios being put into older vehicles needed an additional harness. There are many knowledgeable people here, maybe they can help a bit more if you list the model number of the unit you put in. While that may require you removing the radio to snap a picture, you can also snap pictures of the harness connector wires of the truck and the wires of radio connector. It might help in diagnosing your problem. Sorry to hear about the theft. Hope this resolves well for you and quickly.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok guys here we go..... So I've torn through the threads trying to find a solution to my situation and have found NOTHING, hoping someone can help me out here. So my problem is Some assholes decided they needed my Uconnect radio more than I did. So i bought a new one on Facebook marketplace only to have it not allow anything to come through the speakers. Now the radio i had before did NOT have a back up camera nor NAV, which i believe to be the RA3 with Bluetooth. The radio I bought was the RA4 with backup camera and NAV capabilities. I DO NOT HAVE THE ALPINE STEREO UPGRADE.
The best info i have came up with is that my old stereo did not have the amp, and the new radio thinks there is one, therefore not getting signal. Is there anyway i can easily add an amp, or flash the radio into older mode rather than newer hince the unique situation. Theres alot of threads on upgrading non on downgrading....lol
Thanks for any input yall might have.
There is no difference between the radio itself for trucks that came with the alpine system and those that don't. The RA4 should work fine in your truck that came with the RA3. Not all trucks that came with the RA4 had the Alpine System. It's a popular plug and play upgrade and there is nothing that you need to flash or change. If your truck is the US model you would want the VP4 NA which stands for North America. Both radios are backup camera capable if you were to add the proper tailgate camera and harness and enable the correct codes. The only difference between the two radios is the RA4 has HD radio, Nav and Travel Link capabilities. Your new radio should automatically read your BCM and conform to whatever options your truck has. There were some minor differences between the years on the radios from the 13 to the 17 as far as options and function that would take me to long to explain. The 16 and 17 radios is the best one to get no matter what year your truck is due to minor changes for the cargo cam and backup cam function. It can be confusing to try to explain it all but this is a quick rule of thumb.
If your truck is a 13 to 15 you can install any radio from 13 to 15 or 16 and 17 and it will not add or change any future options you may decide to add. If your truck is a 16 or 17 you need to install a 16 or 17 radio because your truck is capable of certain features the 13 to 15 are not. The main two features have to do with the cargo cam operation and the trailer hitch camera feature. I know you don't have a backup camera which is surprising because most trucks with RA3 and RA4 radios do but you can easily add that feature later if you wanted too and would want the correct radio. As far as the radio having no sound I would recommend checking all of the pins and wiring for the large connector that attaches to the back of the radio. There is a possibility something was damaged when your old radio was stolen. There is also a possibility you either got a bad radio or it has a glitch. Push the volume and browse buttons simultaneously until the radio reboots itself. This will sometimes correct minor glitches. You can also try disconnecting your battery for around 15 or 20 minutes and see if that helps. Sounds crazy but it helps in some cases. If all that fails there is a possibility there is something wrong with the radio itself.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

HARLEY214

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7ltr
Thank you so much for your response, honestly I've tried everything from a soft reset to a hard reset, I'm beginning to wonder if the previous owner had the factory amp or an aftermarket amp installed and I'm either missing it or the thief actually took it as well. I was told in round about rude kind of way by a local audio shop that basically my radio didn't have an amp, and the new radio did, therefore the radio is sending a signal to "it" (the missing amp) and not receiving anything back, not allowing the speakers to receive audio. My next question is if that were the case could I not just add the amp to the system and bam problem solved I know Pac makes a module for doing something kinda similar. But has anyone done it.
Thank yall for all yalls time and consideration in helping with this. I know your time is valuable and these damn uconnect threads are like beating a dead horse sometimes.... Thank again!

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you don’t have the Alpine system then you DON’T have an external amp other then the built in power from the radio.... they are all the same, an 8.4 RA radio. Sounds like you have a bad radio and that’s the problem or damaged wiring harness from the theft.

It doesn’t matter if the 8.4 RA radio came from an Alpine system or not, it will work in your truck as long as it’s from a 13-17 truck.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don’t have the Alpine system then you DON’T have an external amp other then the built in power from the radio.... they are all the same, an 8.4 RA radio. Sounds like you have a bad radio and that’s the problem or damaged wiring harness from the theft.

It doesn’t matter if the 8.4 RA radio came from an Alpine system or not, it will work in your truck as long as it’s from a 13-17 truck.
[emoji121]What he said! [emoji121]same thing I said. There is no amp for them to steal if you don't have the alpine system and you haven't installed an amp yourself. There is NO difference in an RA4 radio that comes with the Alpine system and an RA4 radio that comes with the regular system. They are the exact same radio with the exact same part number. The radio is NOT looking for an amp to make sound. There is one other possible option for the problem other than a bad radio or damaged harness and that would only apply if your new radio was out of a 16 model year and your truck is a 13 to 15 and the radio has older firmware installed. Go into your settings menu and find system information and see what firmware version you are running. This only applies to the 16 radio but if it's lower that 17:11:07 it could be a problem with the firmware. Some of the 16 radios had problems communicating with the earlier trucks but it was corrected with later firmware versions. I recommend updating your firmware to the latest version which is 18:45:01 regardless if it isn't already. This may correct your issue and should be done regardless. It's free and it's not hard to do and you can do it yourself. There is a thread somewhere with links to all the latest firmware versions. I can't post links on my phone but maybe someone will post it for you.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited: