Unlocked someone elses truck!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I had an odd experience today. My friend and coworker has a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn that has just about every option on it. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Longhorn also with most options on it.
We were parked side by side about maybe 5’ apart. I was standing by my driver’s door, his passenger door. He was standing between the front fenders right by the front wheels.
I then put my hand in his passenger door handle and to my surprise, his door unlocked! I then asked if he did it, as I thought he was messing with me, and he said no. I then pushed the button on the door handle and I locked his door. Hmm!
So then he grabbed my door handle and he unlocked my driver’s door!!!!
Now we were fairly close together as was our trucks. Now I wonder that anyone could pull up next to my Ram, with a similar Chrysler product and unlock the door by grasping the handle?!?!?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Maybe the 2 proximities were screwing with each other.

dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Are you suggesting you think that because another RAM truck parked in close proximity to your truck similar to yours disabled/ unlocked your truck ? Doubtful. Do both trucks have keyless entry? If yes, did you guys have your keys in your pockets ?

OP
OP
oe542bob

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
SniperD, yea, we both had our fobs on us and apparently he was close enough standing between the front bumper and and front tires. Just really surprised me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oe542bob

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Experimented this morning while my friend was sitting in his truck. Engine off. Doors locked. I could not open his passenger door from the outside. I’m guessing the sensor somehow knows the FOB is in the truck??

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had an odd experience today. My friend and coworker has a 2021 Ram 1500 Longhorn that has just about every option on it. I have a 2022 Ram 1500 Longhorn also with most options on it.
We were parked side by side about maybe 5’ apart. I was standing by my driver’s door, his passenger door. He was standing between the front fenders right by the front wheels.
I then put my hand in his passenger door handle and to my surprise, his door unlocked! I then asked if he did it, as I thought he was messing with me, and he said no. I then pushed the button on the door handle and I locked his door. Hmm!
Now we were fairly close together as was our trucks. Now I wonder that anyone could pull up next to my Ram, with a similar Chrysler product and unlock the door by grasping the handle?!?!?
There are antennas that sense when the key is within proximity outside the truck, and antennas that sense when the fob is inside.
You were both standing close enough to your own trucks antennas for each truck to pick up their respective fobs. Nothing strange at all.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
More than likely your friend was just close enough to his truck and vice versa.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Don't do that with someone, you don't know and doesn't have any humor. For some reason they don't think it's funny :)

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Reminds me of the early days of TPMS on GM's Corvette. (Corvettes was the first to have it in the GM lineup.) Folks would be sitting at a red light in their new 'Vette, and another new 'Vette would pull up close to them with a low tire and set off the warning in the car with no low tires! Yup! Back to the drawing board!

Escobarbd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d invest in a Farady pouch.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife and sister both have dodge durangos and both are 2021's...my family was camping this past week and my wife had her durango parked about 75' I would guess from where her fob was in our camper. She went to put something in the back, thought she left it unlocked, but it was locked. It allowed her tailgate to open, but set off the alarm. My sister said the same has happened to hers. How messed up is that?!?! Apparently if the fob is kinda close, but not very close someone can get into the damn tailgate...it will just set off the alarm. Can't it be smart enough to realize don't open the damn tailgate door?!?! That would be way smarter than allowing it to open but realize the fob isn't close enough, so we will set off the alarm...damn idiots!!!

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My thoughts are that because you were both so close to the vehicles the sensors opened your friends
when you touched the handle thinking it was his hand. Same in reverse. Try it without one of the
key fobs within the vicinity of the other vehicle.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Who'd a thunk RF energy invisibly going through the air. Simply amazing.