Unusual starting problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dejvi d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Morning folks, 2004 1500 5.7 after it’s parked for some time it starts and immediately shuts off. Does this ever time I’ll try but here’s the twist, when I unplug and plug the battery back on it starts no problem. What’s your thoughts on it? Anyone with similar problems?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have your battery tested sometimes when weak they wont idle also wouldnt hurt to clean your throttle body may be sticky from sitting/carbon.

OP
OP
D

dejvi d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
have your battery tested sometimes when weak they wont idle also wouldnt hurt to clean your throttle body may be sticky from sitting/carbon.
Battery is fine. Is sticking throttle body get a reset after reconnecting battery?

OP
OP
D

dejvi d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it stumble and cough before dying, or is it a clean kill like it was switched off?

First step is to find out if it’s fuel or spark.
No coughing, just shutting down. Fuel and spark would be the first step but why it gets fine after reconnecting battery? Clearly something getting reset and works fine from there .

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Got to give you guys credit for trying to help. Once again, a brand new poster, but again the OP provides virtually no information that would be useful in diagnosing the issue. Right down to not saying whether it sets a code or lights up a light. Without that most basic of info pretty hard to proceed.

Have to say, I no longer try to help in these situations. If the OP can't be bothered spending ten minutes to type out a full description along with detailed info known so far, then I am not wasting my time trying to drag the info out of them. All the best to you guys that will still help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dejvi d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got to give you guys credit for trying to help. Once again, a brand new poster, but again the OP provides virtually no information that would be useful in diagnosing the issue. Right down to not saying whether it sets a code or lights up a light. Without that most basic of info pretty hard to proceed.

Have to say, I no longer try to help in these situations. If the OP can't be bothered spending ten minutes to type out a full description along with detailed info known so far, then I am not wasting my time trying to drag the info out of them. All the best to you guys that will still help.
Thanks for your help. Seems helpful. I would love to give some more information but it doesn’t come with any engine malfunction or codes.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

I hear you.

A 2004! It can be anything at this point.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Well, since it’s easy to replicate, I’ll repeat what I said above. Check for spark, check for fuel.

There’s two ways to repair machines, diagnostic procedures or guessing and playing the parts cannon lottery.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With so lil info. Maybe fuel pressure is bleeding off. All the way to. Could be ignition switch. Not key tumbler. More info is better. After it stalls does it start right back up. What’s mileage. So on & so forth

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like my old '98 Dakota R/T when the battery was about to go, it would crank and immediately shut off. The throttle body refusing to cooperate was the first sign. I could keep it running long enough to get home by keeping enough pressure on the pedal so it couldn't idle down and stall. Kinda sketchy driving like that in traffic though...

Russ

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Without having some sort of diagnostic information, you will be committed to guessing and buying (many) unnecessary parts.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 99248 miles.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery is fine. Is sticking throttle body get a reset after reconnecting battery?

Obviously, this user isn't sitting by his PC, waiting for answers.

0 user.jpg

To the OP;

If you expect to gain any insight into your truck's problems and hope to get assistance from the many talented members here, we should establish a few guidelines.

There are many members here that are experts in several areas and there are others that specialize in specific areas.

I would suggest that the best way forward is to develop a partnership with the members here.

They have the experience and knowledge to solve most difficulties.
You are the onsite expert for the hands-on aspect of troubleshooting the problem.

We need all the information you can provide and you need to stop making determinations by yourself, that should be done collectively.

If you must make final determinations by yourself without providing full disclosure as to why you think this way, that's no longer a team effort and you will find yourself alone.

The basic rules of troubleshooting are to start at the beginning which is very often the battery.

Telling me the battery is OK, is of no value and means nothing to me other than you're dismissing a pertinent step in the troubleshooting procedure.

You may have good reason to dismiss this step but don't be so arrogant to not share why.

The battery is an unknown variable until it has been load-tested.

Have you successfully load-tested the battery?

OP
OP
D

dejvi d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if I came up as a arrogant I’m sorry as it wasn’t my intention. By begging this topic I was kind of hoping it’s a common issue for ram and I’ll get some answers straight away but since then I did some work on it and here’s the outcome. Usually after the night(but not always) car starts and dies straight away. It will do this every time I try. When I press acceleration it revs and dies immediately (like it would get no fuel). When you unplug and then plug back in the battery it starts and runs no problem. I’ve checked the fuel pump by removing main fuse(tried to reset it without unplugging the battery) but this changed nothing. I’ve checked the battery and it’s perfect. Since then I was removing and installing fuses one after the other as well as the relays and no luck again. I’ve not checked ignition nor the spark plugs yet but then again what could be wrong with it to reset itself by unplugging battery. A bit lost at this point. Could it be immobiliser or ecu? Oh and truck is 2004 but with only 74k on the clock.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Third and final repetition: when it is in the crank but not start condition check for spark, check for fuel pressure.

If you don’t know how, ask! Or google.

If you don’t have the tools, rent.

If this thread continues following the guessing game model, then just take it to a shop. It’ll be cheaper.