Upgrade Alpine audio questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGBLACKHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2012 Quad Cab Sport with the Alpine system I would like to know what are my options to upgrading the system while keeping the headunit I have a $1500-2000 budget there so I need some help..I would like to run a two amp system..

Thanks in advance...

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I'd start with an Audio Control LC6i to interface with the oem head unit. From there it's wide open as to what amps, speakers and subs you run. The LC6i will do everything you need and then some though as far as hooking it all up.
If you're not going nuts though...I'd honestly grab a used JL Slash 500/5 off ebay and run it all on one amp.

OP
OP
BIGBLACKHEMI

BIGBLACKHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking of running something to allow me to play my music LOUD and clear.. but on a budget I'm done putting $5, 000 stereos in cars so I'm looking for input since most people do it them selves on here.. UNBROKEN your advice is golden audio control is a great brand that was on my list...

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good clean power amps that are pretty reasonable look towards soundqubed. Runing their 4ch and 1200.1 mono in a buddies car and its better than what I expected for what he paid. After all the nickel and dime stuff I'm pretty sure he has less than 1500 into the build.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd start with a JBL MS-8 for DSP. Your budget allows for it. This is coming from someone who has the LC6i. Trust me, you will want more. The LC6i does great for what is was intended. It's noise-free, provides REM to amp, and provides a full-range signal to the amp. However, the OE signals are so horrible! They need a lot of EQing. I've tried summing front mids+front tweets+sub, and front mids+rear mids+sub. Each provides different sounds, but none is great. I know the MS-8 sounds like a lot of $, but you can get new ones in the $400 range, or slightly used in $300-range. In the end, it's not much more than the LC6i + additional AudioControl EQ (EQL), and you'll have way more features. The MS-8 can power your rear fill, and center channel speaker. It has built-in 8 channel amp.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
The MS8 also likes to randomly send high pitched noises through the system and blow speakers. I wouldn't even consider one at this point.
I tried a Mosconi 6to8 but I like my Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 better. Much easier to use.
99% of the people in the world either don't need or don't have the ability to tune such a complicated DSP.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ That's good to know. I hadn't read that one (buried in the numerous reviews). Humm, I may try adding an EQL then. It's only another $160 spent vs. $400+ for the MS-8. If it's doesn't get to where I need it, AudioControl equipment seems to have decent resale. Thanks for the input on the 360.3. That's also a possibility.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
What are yall using to replace the factory sub? Anything that will fit in the OEM housing or are you replacing that as well?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
What are yall using to replace the factory sub? Anything that will fit in the OEM housing or are you replacing that as well?

Kicker makes a Soundgate piece, 200w 10" powered sub thast can replace the Alpine 150w 8".

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kicker makes a Soundgate piece, 200w 10" powered sub thast can replace the Alpine 150w 8".

If this is anything like the 8" hideway it would be a pretty sweet replacement for someone trying to fill out the low end a little better than the anemic alpine will.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonder if I can just jam a JL 8W3v3 in the stock box and wire up a mono amp to power it. Really all I'm looking for a little more thump. That kicker unit is $1300. Hells no. lol

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think there are people having a hellva time wiring in even just a mono amp defiently dig around and do research before purchasing.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think there are people having a hellva time wiring in even just a mono amp defiently dig around and do research before purchasing.

Don't know why. An AudioControl LC2i being fed from the rear door speakers would solve that cheaply.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its the fequencies out of the doors that are messing with them if I remember right but it could've also been a 4ch amp they've been talking about too.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can easily add a mono amp if you currently have a sub. Just use the 4 wires going to your existing sub as high inputs to a quality LOC (LC2i). Otherwise, you'll want to tap in the front doors. The rear doors are high=passed -- with treble boosted. Trust me, I've tried. The front door speakers only get low-mid frequencies. Heck, if you use an amp similar to the JBL EZ series, you won't even need the LOC. The OE sub is quite shallow. You may have to add a spacer. You'll also want to seal all the holes. I almost started hacking on my OE box, but decided against it. Currently, it's a paperweight in my basement.

The Kicker solution would be easy, but I can think of a hundred other ways to spend $700, and have a much better solution.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Sure there are 'cheaper' alternatives. Thats why we have 80% of our business is aftermarket, not OEM. The OEM upgrade is for someone that wants a nice clean, manufacture warrantied system that is really a plug and play. Not a tap into this wire, add this, get this piece so steering wheel functions work, run power and remote, tuck and hide. Installing it is literally a one hour install, and backed by Mopar Accessories, Ford and GM and Suburu. Aftermarket is not. It's all in what someone wants, willing to pay, and depth of install.
I could spend way more and have 3x the system.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll probably end up dynamating the factory box and jamming that 8W3v3 in there with a spacer. And ditch the fold down lid covering it. Tuck a mono amp in the bin under the other seat and call it a day. Can do it all for about $350-400.

I'm not concerned about running wires or tapping in to existing. I'm MECP certified and installed for years before getting in to IT. :)

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I'm not concerned about running wires or tapping in to existing. I'm MECP certified and installed for years before getting in to IT. :)
Then you'd be the minority, most do not want to tear into new vehicles, or pay shops to do it as well.