Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sleepy_hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got a 2012 ram 1500 limited 5.7

I'm looking at getting new cams and full exhaust, headers all the way back. Need some opinions and a few suggestions.

First off. I'm not 100% on the difference in cams. Can anyone explain? I want torque not necessarily top speed. Also, if I upgrade my cams are there other items I need to install to support them? ( other than a tune)

Second. I was looking to get Gibson headers and exhaust. Any suggestions on those and what would yall think would be better? Long or short?

Also spoke with a buddy who works with a few mopar guys. They suggested going with an x pipe and and adding a second Flowmaster super 10 to it for performance as well as sound. Can anyone can anyone explain this and the benefits to me.

FYI I'm new to the custom world so bare with me please.

Thanks in advance.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Why not a tune? If you do cams your warranty will be already out the window, so what do you have to lose? A custom tune is the best bang for your buck.

I've never heard of those headers, but if money is no object check out ARH headers at Moe's Performance

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I've got a 2012 ram 1500 limited 5.7

I'm looking at getting new cams and full exhaust, headers all the way back. Need some opinions and a few suggestions.

First off. I'm not 100% on the difference in cams. Can anyone explain? I want torque not necessarily top speed. Also, if I upgrade my cams are there other items I need to install to support them? ( other than a tune)

Second. I was looking to get Gibson headers and exhaust. Any suggestions on those and what would yall think would be better? Long or short?

Also spoke with a buddy who works with a few mopar guys. They suggested going with an x pipe and and adding a second Flowmaster super 10 to it for performance as well as sound. Can anyone can anyone explain this and the benefits to me.

FYI I'm new to the custom world so bare with me please.

Thanks in advance.

With the exhaust you will see minimal gains. Barley anything. Like said above start with a custom tune. After add LT headers you will see better results with these vs the shortys and maybe gears if you don't have 3.92's or 4.10's already.

OP
OP
S

Sleepy_hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why not a tune? If you do cams your warranty will be already out the window, so what do you have to lose? A custom tune is the best bang for your buck.

I've never heard of those headers, but if money is no object check out ARH headers at Moe's Performance

I'll be getting a tune any time I install anything. That's why I said other than a tune. I'm not to worried about the warranty itself. I was just curious if there was anything besides a tune.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'll be getting a tune any time I install anything. That's why I said other than a tune. I'm not to worried about the warranty itself. I was just curious if there was anything besides a tune.
Ahh okay makes sense!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I would add all the supporting mods first before looking into any aftermarket cam. Custom tune, 4.10/4.56 gears, 3000 stall tq converter, and longtube headers. Muffler choice and single vs. dual exhaust wont make much of a difference in power...its the longtube headers that show added power.

OP
OP
S

Sleepy_hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would add all the supporting mods first before looking into any aftermarket cam. Custom tune, 4.10/4.56 gears, 3000 stall tq converter, and longtube headers. Muffler choice and single vs. dual exhaust wont make much of a difference in power...its the longtube headers that show added power.

Any chance you could enlighten me on these things lol again I'm trying to learn the custom world. This will be my first build so I want to learn all I can.

OP
OP
S

Sleepy_hollow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
12 ram 1500 build

Still looking for more suggestions on my truck.

2012 ram 1500 limited 5.7 hemi.

First build need some guidance. Any suggestions help.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A stall, gears, long tubes, and a tune is about the best bang for buck you'll get. Above that your talking a big jump in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mishalnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go with comp 266 moes 87 tb k&n intake kooks 1 3/4 LT headers catless xpipe and borla mufflers and resonators

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Why the 266 over the 274's?

You don't even want to go with the 266. The comp cams were designed for the 6.4, not the 5.7. They are too big for the 5.7.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Why the 266 over the 274's?

The 274 is too high in the rpm band for the trucks. Because the trucks are so much heavier than the cars you need a torque cam, not a top rpm cam. With the 274 you'd need to run a much higher stall converter to make use of the power and rev it all the time.

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any chance you could enlighten me on these things lol again I'm trying to learn the custom world. This will be my first build so I want to learn all I can.

The lower gear ratio and Higher stall TQ converter with give you better off the line acceleration. The TC will also give you better shift recovery. The longtube headers will give you better power throughout the entire rpm range.