upgrading 1994 ecu

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you upgrade the ecu on a 1994 5.9 gas engine to a later year 5.9? If so will I also have to upgrade the ecu harness?
if yes, will the later model harness work with the 94 models sensors and instrument panel gauges?
thank you

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can you upgrade the ecu on a 1994 5.9 gas engine to a later year 5.9? If so will I also have to upgrade the ecu harness?
if yes, will the later model harness work with the 94 models sensors and instrument panel gauges?
thank you
If you want to switch from your current SBEC PCM, which stands for Single Board Engine Controller, to a later JTEC or JTEC+ PCM, which stands for Jeep Truck Engine Controller, you will need to change the engine harness as the SBEC PCM has a large, single electrical connector and the JTEC PCM's utilize a 3-plug setup.

OP
OP

94ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks, will i have swap the fuse box? will the 94 instrument cluster be compatible?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
thanks, will i have swap the fuse box? will the 94 instrument cluster be compatible?
You may have to swap the PDC or Power Distribution Center. If you find a truck to get a harness from grab everything else that you can to go along with it.

The instrument cluster may or may not work. The SBEC PCM uses the CCD Bus for communication and the JTEC PCM's use PCI Bus and SCI Bus.

I would locate a donor truck and rob everything.