Urgent Advice Needed. Limp Mode...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Need some urgent advice please! So, I had the dreaded cam issue and replaced my cam with a Comp Cam No Tune Required one with the MDS Delete. When I first swapped it out I messed up the timing so I pulled it off on my days off and corrected the timing as well as replaced the oil pump with the hellcat pump. I also replaced the VVT Solenoid, cam sensor, crank sensor is fairly new as well. I had the MDS Switch off on my tuner and everything is fine. I drove it all day yesterday and it was good, a little more back pressure than i would have liked, but otherwise good. Now today I went to leave for work and my truck immediately went into limp mode. I dont know if the cam relearn needs done again because I had it done the first time when the timing was off but they said they got it after a few attempts. I dont know what else to check. Could the harmonic balancer be bad and causing this? Totally lost so please help me!!

The only code im getting is the P0344 code with two others that correlate with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0482.jpg
    IMG_0482.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The first 2 codes relate to intermittent wiring issues. I would check the cam position sensor and TCM wiring harnesses and connectors.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
will do, but the sensor itself is brand new because I replaced it the first time after the cam swap because it was giving me the same codes. I didnt touch any of the other wiring and everything is installed and plugged in correctly

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
also, when I replaced my cam there was no ground straps on my heads?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
cri5k gave you good advice and a solid starting point. You can believe what the codes are telling you and start from there, or ignore them because you know better and change harmonic balcancers, go back through the relearn process etc.

Personally, I would start with the trouble codes and only move on from there once I exhausted what they are telling me. No idea why guys ask for urgent help and then want to argue with the advice they are given.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Im not arguing with the advice? Im at work right now so I cant check anything. However, I just replaced the sensor right before I redid the timing and i double checked everything was plugged in. I didnt touch any of the wiring that was around the TCM, I dont think anyway as I only dealt with the wires above the engine. I dont really know where to start if that sensor is brand new and the wiring seems all good and plugged in? Dont need the attitude when you think im arguing with someone when Im just giving my response with my opinion?

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
and I didnt ignore the codes or the advice? But if my answer to the advice is that all of that stuff checks out and is good then how is that arguing? I know the codes I have and am trying to figure out why I have those codes if everything is checking out and the relearn has been done? Trying to figure out if something else is actually wrong or Im missing something, like the ground straps not being installed when I first took the heads off cuz they were nonexistent.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Sorry, clearly read your response incorrectly. Since you are at work and can't check, my suggestion is, when you get home go back over everything electrical related to the fault codes. Use a good quality Ohm and Voltage meter. You may also need to read AMPS to know if a sensor is defective, even brand new ones can be pooched. It is very rare that these trucks toss a code that is completely unrelated. Bigger problem is not tossing a code when there are actual symptoms. Best of luck, let us know what you find.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
when my RAM went into limp mode the throttle body was the issue !
I am no gear head but to those who are could that be part of the problem ?
Maybe lose connection on it ?

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dean2 I appreciate it. what should I be looking for reading wise with the meter? and what all should I be checking. Also, do you know if not having ground straps could cause the problem because my cylinder heads did not have any installed on disassembly?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does it idle rough? If timing was for sure off the first time could have a bent valve would aslo re check your push rods.
Dean2 I appreciate it. what should I be looking for reading wise with the meter? and what all should I be checking. Also, do you know if not having ground straps could cause the problem because my cylinder heads did not have any installed on disassembly?
Il admit on a few trucks I have worked on the ground straps where gone on the back of the heads never caused a issue however I did run my own to the front of the heads easier to access.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does it idle rough? If timing was for sure off the first time could have a bent valve would aslo re check your push rods.

Il admit on a few trucks I have worked on the ground straps where gone on the back of the heads never caused a issue however I did run my own to the front of the heads easier to access.
what are the chances that i did bend a valve? also, is there a way for me to check this without removing the heads. is there a way to replace these without removing the heads? Tahnks

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what are the chances that i did bend a valve? also, is there a way for me to check this without removing the heads. is there a way to replace these without removing the heads? Tahnks
To check for a bent valve just check compression if the timing was off more the 1-2 teeth its almost certain ya bent one. Does it run smooth tho?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Like Cri5k said, the codes relate to intermitent wiring issues. The very first hing is get the battery load tested, no matter how new it is. Next thing I would check is the actual sensors, even the new ones. Next, check the actual connectors and make sure all the wires are solidly installed, no corrosion etc. Also, check that all your fuses are firmly seated by pushing down GENTLY on every fuse in the TIPM. Next check that you have continuity on each wire, as in close to zero ohms from one end to the other. Finally, and you will need a wiring diagram, check that the terminal voltage at the plug and sensor are correct at each instance.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Need some urgent advice please! So, I had the dreaded cam issue and replaced my cam with a Comp Cam No Tune Required one with the MDS Delete. When I first swapped it out I messed up the timing so I pulled it off on my days off and corrected the timing as well as replaced the oil pump with the hellcat pump. I also replaced the VVT Solenoid, cam sensor, crank sensor is fairly new as well. I had the MDS Switch off on my tuner and everything is fine. I drove it all day yesterday and it was good, a little more back pressure than i would have liked, but otherwise good. Now today I went to leave for work and my truck immediately went into limp mode. I dont know if the cam relearn needs done again because I had it done the first time when the timing was off but they said they got it after a few attempts. I dont know what else to check. Could the harmonic balancer be bad and causing this? Totally lost so please help me!!

The only code im getting is the P0344 code with two others that correlate with it.
Dude, you need an oscilloscope. That code is so enigmatic in and of itself. There is no silver bullet repair such as replacement of a component.

You possibly have secondary ignition bleed over causing a phantom phasing. This can only be seen with a very fast and high end scope. My Pico finds these anomalies all the time. There is no way to pinpoint this without such equipment. I get vehicles in all the time where several shops/ dealers have thrown hundreds to thousands of dollars in parts and labor to circumvent actual pin point diagnostics. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
also did you use OEM sensors or aftermarket sensors for what ever reason Ram hates aftermarket sensors
I used napa sensors as I was told those sensors are the closest and best thing to Mopar.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
To check for a bent valve just check compression if the timing was off more the 1-2 teeth its almost certain ya bent one. Does it run smooth tho?
Yes and no. I have aftermarket exhaust on it so I thought it was just the new cam making it sound louder, but now that i think back over it the exhaust sounds a little too aggressive, maybe like a diesel, maybe..and the truck when driving at higher speeds like 85ish is a little rough, but my driver side ball joint is shot and needs replaced too so i had attributed it to that, but maybe it isnt that.

OP
OP
P

Proby34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Dude, you need an oscilloscope. That code is so enigmatic in and of itself. There is no silver bullet repair such as replacement of a component.

You possibly have secondary ignition bleed over causing a phantom phasing. This can only be seen with a very fast and high end scope. My Pico finds these anomalies all the time. There is no way to pinpoint this without such equipment. I get vehicles in all the time where several shops/ dealers have thrown hundreds to thousands of dollars in parts and labor to circumvent actual pin point diagnostics. Good luck!
I dont even know what you are talking about? explain some more lol